The Demise of Big Companies

Hi, this is my first post on here, although I have been a regular reader of the forum for some months now. I’m not currently a working driver but work within the industry and share most of your bafflement at some of the stunts pulled by customers, govt, companies, other drivers etc.

Just felt compelled to flag this quote up from another topic I read this morning. I work for a medium sized firm, not in the league of stobbie’s etc but just cant understand this line of thinking, as a smaller company we; and other owner drivers; make good business from the larger hauliers.

My question is: is this a common opinion?

Quote Greg50

“I know a lot of people wont agree with me because of jobs etc.
these big companies have put a lot of owner drivers down and i am from a family of owner drivers.#if stobart went next.
look at the opportunities there would be for owner driverswith the extra work,
instead of some fat butted zb managing director who treats the drivers as numbers,
who has hundreds of trucks ,
driving a rolls and wouldnt do a days work in his life.
i am all for the demise of big companies.
it will never happen i know.
but it would be great to see in my eyes.
max trucks any haulage company could have.
i dont want to drive for people,but would rather have my own”

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Dietcokebreak :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

I’m not currently a working driver but work within the industry

Care to enlighten us as to what part of this industry :question: :question: :slight_smile:

Myth. There would be no extra work for Owner drivers etc as another company would just expand to fill the void.

Most large companies eg Coke Cola, Nestle, Proctor & Gamble, Unilever etc like to deal with One/Two Logistic suppliers.

Even most container work is handled by the large companies, with some then sub contracted to Owner Drivers.

I drive for a division of DHL.

ROG:

**:D :smiley: :smiley: Welcome Dietcokebreak :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:**

I’m not currently a working driver but work within the industry

Care to enlighten us as to what part of this industry :question: :question: :slight_smile:

thanks for the welcome Rog, have often found your posts very enlightening. Nothing exciting now I’m afraid, some physical issues meant I was desk bound for a while, so having shown slight apititude ended up in a sales position. Although the logistics background is a big plus when dealing with potential warehouse customers.

Unfortunately - this means that I get the calls from the joe public passed through - “your wagon is driving too slow/ too fast/ too much in my way” A whole other thread for that though I think :laughing: