The Biggest Decision of My Life

Having passed my C+E test mid january at Bredbury, I’ve only just got my driving licence through yesterday and have set up a few appointments at agencies for the end of this week and I’ve been applying to an average of 2-3 jobs per day for the last week or so, the thing is…

…I have NO driving experience, i’m a graphic designer and have decided that to make a serious go of this I’m going to hand my notice in on Thursday in the hope that by the time my 4 weeks notice are done either (a) the agency work will be reasonably consistent or (b) someone will be happy to take me under their wing and give me a shot with their company.

Just a small point but financially I am in a position to support myself and my family for 8 weeks without any real problems, (after that it’s brown underwear time).

At this point I’m reasonably happy to take Class 2 but I don’t want to be doing it for too long as my main aim is Class 1.

I do have the brown underwear ready as I am frightened to death at what I am about to do, I have no idea if this is the right move or not but I have the feeling if I don’t do it, then next month I am going to face the same problem/dilemma (1-2 days driving at weekends, if I even get that) as no company is going to wait 4 weeks for an inexperienced driver to finish his notice, at least this way I’m hoping I can get a job offer and start pretty much as I leave (or shortly after) my current position.

Please guys (& gals) reassure me, tell me everythings gonna be alright…please (damnit) :confused:

The next two or three months is not an ideal time to be relying an agency work, especially for a new driver. Agency work can be notoriously quiet at this time of year.

I would second that, I would hold out with your current job while you apply for fulltime and/or get weekend work through agencies. Later in the year it is not such a problem, but the first quarter was looking very poor last year.

G

I third that,stay in your full time job and see if you can work the odd sat/sun till you find your feet.

stay in your full time job & get agency work for the weekends for a few months.

Well, thanks guys, looks like my decision will have to be re-thought.

Won’t I still have trouble trying to find a full-time position having to work 4 weeks notice though?

Also, is it normal for an agency to ask you to do a refresher course to prove you’re competent before even doing class 2 work? It’s only been 2 weeks since i passed my flippin’ test!

Thanks again guys, I really am a trucking virgin… :blush:

b-jay:
Well, thanks guys, looks like my decision will have to be re-thought.

I think that is a wise decision. I am in total agreement with those who have already advised you to at least wait until the quietest part of the (agency drivers) year has passed.

The ‘trucking virgin’ isn’t always such a difficult problem to overcome. A good search through the site will find you quite a few posts ref newbies who have ‘looked and found’ etc. Some companies like the thought of being able to mould you to their ways and the fact you are less likely to come with too many bad habits.

Also, is it normal for an agency to ask you to do a refresher course to prove you’re competent before even doing class 2 work? It’s only been 2 weeks since i passed my flippin’ test!

Never heard of that myself, if they are paying then great - if they want money off you then it sounds like they are taking the ■■■■. I have done an assessment for a client before doing work - although being on agency that counted as a shift by itself, so I got paid for doing it !!

G

I have been doing evening and weekend work on a part time basis for the last 20years and working in the office the rest of the time.

Some via agencies and other work via my own contacts.

Did one time think of packing in the office but it is nice and warm and if I dont want to drive just have a weekend off.

I am in similar predicimate to you mate

all be it i now had licences for 6months and got a bit of experience under belt threw weekend work.

I am on look out and biding time for going full time in industry to but am holding off puttin my notice in as i not had a single weekends work since boxing day at weekends.

Way i lookin at it is if company are willing to take me on they will wait a month all be it i will be bending rules to suit me when notice is given etc

Just bide time and i would try and get sum agency work in what ever spare time you have to get sum experience

Thanks cbhornet3, it’s a little comforting to know other people are in the same predicament. I really don’t know what to do, (it doesn’t help that I hate my job right now either), the agency’s I’ve spoken to so far have said it may be difficult for me to get just weekend work as they offer any extra work to their full time drivers first, I just wish there was an easy answer to this…tomorrow may be a day when I need to visit a few agencies and see what they can do for me before I decide Thursday what to do.

It has been said on here many times before and it does work,

Go and knock on a few doors,

go to some local haulage companys or firms that run their own lorries and sell yourself. You may find nothing happens now but when they do want drivers, you get a phone call.

Worked twice for me.

1. Passed my class 2 in dec 2005, hit the phones. 1 company called me straight in and I was working straightaway

2. When looking to move on from firm no 1, filled in a few application forms with firms. Re contacted them in June to say I had passes my class 1. couple of months later phone call out of the blue offering me an interview and an immediate start on artics.

Get on the phone, get out and knock a few doors, get your cv out to as many people as possible and take it from there

I was there a while back, it’s a hard decision to make. Getting weekend work as a newbie on agy is hard enough, but sooner or later someone will need you.
Don’t rely on them calling you up, ring them on Friday and tell them you’re available. At least you will be on their minds.
If you get a few shifts out of an agency and they are happy to push more work your way, that would be a better time to hand in your notice. Hopefully the agency would be able to give you regular work or find you a temp to perm position to start you off.
What ever happens, as an agency driver the best thing you can do is turn up presentable and on time, ask if you don’t know something, ring if you’ve got a problem and basically take whatever crap they throw at you without flinching. If you start grumbling about old motors or the amount of drops or whatever then you won’t get very far. Yes sir, No sir, 3 bags full sir. They love a bit of that.