Agency work for new drivers

Hi all,

I know this topic may be repetitive but I wanted an up-to-date situation on how easy it is to get agency work as a newly qualified driver?

I am currently in an office job and have been for the last 4 years and am incredibly sick of it, that I’ve desperately searched for other jobs.

I want to book my Class 2 and Class 1 courses ASAP but the only thing that is stopping me is the fear of losing a guaranteed monthly income, paying out over £2k in training fees and then getting no work through the agency. Can anyone give an idea of how much work I could expect to get? (I don’t really care what it is as long as there’s enough to keep a half decent income a month).

My friend seemed to get a lot when he first started at like 19 and he had 9 points on his license at that stage so I’m presuming it can’t be that bad??

I’m 22 and have a clean driving license.

I am based near Stansted Airport and the north of the M25.

Sorry for the essay, cheers in advance for your help! :smiley:

it’ll take you a few years to reap back your initial outlay and there’s no guarantee you’ll pass or even find employment let alone employment you’ll enjoy. the hours can be unsocial long and hard… and the ever increasing and tightening regulations can see you go out to work and loose a days pay for something silly like a blown bulb dodgy tire or any other manner of faults etc … it aint all plane sailing …think hard and long before you make that leap …

I know what to expect and know it isn’t plain sailing, my main concern is whether or not there would be enough agency work available for new drivers so I could keep the money coming it.

From speaking in detail with my mate who does the job I’ve got a fairly good idea of the ups / downs of the job but it’s been a few years now since he was on the agency didn’t know what the current market was like.

There is work out there for new drivers. Agency work is more forthcoming but its mostly multidrop stuff for class 2’ and I personally hate multidrop. If you have your Class 1 then you’ll have a much better outlook on the job front as you can access to more of the trunking jobs. There are also some firms that will hire new drivers but you need to be banging on doors for that one.

eltooon1:
I know what to expect and know it isn’t plain sailing, my main concern is whether or not there would be enough agency work available for new drivers so I could keep the money coming it.

From speaking in detail with my mate who does the job I’ve got a fairly good idea of the ups / downs of the job but it’s been a few years now since he was on the agency didn’t know what the current market was like.

Some Agency’s will rob you blind all for the sake of saying well your new …utter tosh then they want you to be self employed etc .

I do think in about a year or 2 the situation will become a better market so if you can get it sorted and able to waitand just clear he odd days work for experience I think you would be I a better position .

I’m a newly qualified and very inexperienced Class 1 driver. I signed up with a couple of agencies recently.

One claimed that they were 50 Class 1 drivers short on their current client contracts (and the ■■■■■■■ the phone even cheered when I first contacted them saying I was a Class 1). I went all the way to their offices to sign up, fill in papers etc, and I have never heard from them since.

The other agency, however, managed within a week to to get me an assessment drive with a decent logistics company less than 20 miles from home. I had the assessment, I passed (even though I was rubbish at reversing in the yard) and I start on Friday. This is only temporary, and only part-time (my choice - to fit in with my other commitments), but it sounds like a straightforward trunking type job, they are willing to take me on, train me up and I think will even run me with an experienced driver by my side until I’m confident going solo.

There appears to be a shortage of drivers currently, so companies seem to be prepared to be flexible with newbies which is fantastic news for us.

Cheers guys appreciate the replies. It seems like there is stuff out there then it’s just you have to take some of the lesser stuff to get your foot in and be proactive about it and bang on doors!

I couldn’t understand whether the perceived driver shortage is just something made up by the training companies to get more sales or whether it will actually start to develop with the new CPC and older drivers retiring.

eltooon1:
Cheers guys appreciate the replies. It seems like there is stuff out there then it’s just you have to take some of the lesser stuff to get your foot in and be proactive about it and bang on doors!

I couldn’t understand whether the perceived driver shortage is just something made up by the training companies to get more sales or whether it will actually start to develop with the new CPC and older drivers retiring.

There is a shortage or there will be but its nothing like what people are making out there to be.