Tesco/asda etc home delivery

im still out of work no one is taking on class 2 drivers near me and im thinking of popping to our local supermarkets asda tescos sainsburys etc and see if they need any drivers doing the home deliveries in the little vans just to tide me over christmas

has anyone on here ever done it if so what was it like? wages? do they run you ragged all day? any info atall is welcome

I have no personal knowledge.
i did have some stuff delivered by tesco in one of their transits and chatted to driver, who said it was OK.
having said that , he was only young and possibly " cab happy"
No idea on wages etc but would imagine hours can be erratic.

But, Hey, a jobs a job!
might be doing the same myself soon :cry:

They dont just drive - I think they have to pick the shopping as well.

I did it years ago, for a week on agency.

Was before online shopping was as popular as it is now.

When i did it was a 9am start i think, i sat about most of the day waiting for something to happen, then got hit with three deliveries at once.

Is basically going out getting the orders in the supermarket, delivering to the houses, its pretty easy work. Though since most people work 9-5 can find yourself quiet during the day then mad rush as everyone comes home from work wanting their stuff delivered.

I looked at in last year.

It was for ASDA Eastlands (near Manchester Chiitty Stadium :laughing: )

They offered you a minimum 10 hour week contract
(you worked 40 but were only guaranteed 10)

and the wages were £5.85 back then :frowning:

But you got to visit all the chav estates lol,
but you met some nice 20 year old mums with 18 year old daughters.
who just came back from shopping in their pyjamas lol :laughing:

My next door neighbour did it and lasted 4 weeks before chucking it. (Tesco)
Crap hourly rate and 8 mins per drop is all you were allowed, from a bungalow to a block of flats and you had to carry the shopping into the house if requested!

With Tesco, it’s drive and deliver.

The orders are picked by instore staff, and it’s computer controlled/tracked from start to finish.

its 6 mins per drop now
wage rate is 6.89 per hour
you usually do 2 night shifts and 3 day shifts per week
days are 9 am-7pm
nights 7pm-11pm
they treat you like crap id avoid
plus they got trackers on the vans we had a driver sacked for leaving engine running while delivering to a farm