Driving for supermarkets

Hi

Just wondering what you guys think of the supermarkets, I hear tesco have made there conditions worse, are Aldi and Lidl as good as the larger stores?

sco:
Hi

I hear tesco have made there conditions worse

As in what ?

karl67:

sco:
Hi

I hear tesco have made there conditions worse

As in what ?

Hourly rate lower than what it used to be, and lower than others.

Have they? - I’m in there tomorrow for the first time since Spring… Oooer! What have I let myself in for?

hourly rates have lowered with the new contracts and now more inline with other supermarkets.
We all knew the old contracts would change oneday, it was mad what you could earn, with sunday, overtime rates and ever seventh week off then working it as overtime.

I got offered a job with them at Nursling quite a few years ago which included every 7th week off. The guy told me all the info, pay rates etc. He phoned me up a couple of days after the interview and offered me the job. Asked me if I’d accept and what date I could start. I asked him to send me a copy of the contract so I could have a proper look before I gave a definite answer… “Oh okay, not many people ask to see that.” he said.

Anyway the contract arrived on a Friday and appeared to be everything he said at the interview. On the following Monday I get another contract in the post with a note “Please disregard original contract sent out in error.” This one had a lower rate of pay, longer hours etc.

The guy phones me up again on the following Wednesday to see if I’d accept the offer. I asked why there were two different contracts and he explained the original was for the existing drivers and I would be on the other one. He was quite grumpy when I told him I’m not working for a company that operates a two tier pay structure for doing exactly the same job.

As far as I’m concerned you should all get the same pay and conditions for doing the same job, none of this new starter crap.

Yep. When I worked in a Tesco store I used to refuse to work on a Sunday because I’d get paid time & a half whilst working alongside people earning double bubble. Wrong.

rob22888:
Yep. When I worked in a Tesco store I used to refuse to work on a Sunday because I’d get paid time & a half whilst working alongside people earning double bubble. Wrong.

i have been told:

£9.65 ph, 42 hr contract.

+25% for overtime
+25% for weekend
+50% for bank holidays.

what Tesco is that ?

karl67:
what Tesco is that ?

Livingston

is that full time/permanent rates, or through an agency?

Aldi’s rates…

We offer a minimum starting wage of £9.85 per hour rising to £10.90 if you work days. If you work nights it’s £11.62 rising to £12.86 per hour.

aldirecruitment.co.uk/distribution/

might be for livingstone. I know rates are lower up there.
overtime/banked hours is useally +50%

bank hols you get a day in lieu as well.
plus you should get fleetboard bonus.
early start rate.

daffyd:
is that full time/permanent rates, or through an agency?

Aldi’s rates…

We offer a minimum starting wage of £9.85 per hour rising to £10.90 if you work days. If you work nights it’s £11.62 rising to £12.86 per hour.

aldirecruitment.co.uk/distribution/

Full time, employed with Tesco.

Seen on there website that for the same job in Dagenham is £30-34k why such a big difference?

cost of living is higher here.

sco:
‘…why such a big difference…?’

Supply vs. demand?

karl67:
might be for livingstone. I know rates are lower up there.
overtime/banked hours is useally +50%

bank hols you get a day in lieu as well.
plus you should get fleetboard bonus.
early start rate.

Whats the fleetboard bonus? do you get a lot?

You can get up to £200 a month.

sco:

rob22888:

i have been told:

+25% for overtime
+25% for weekend
+50% for bank holidays.

Is that through an agency ?

That’ll be direct with tesco

YorkshireJeff:

sco:

rob22888:

i have been told:

+25% for overtime
+25% for weekend
+50% for bank holidays.

Is that through an agency ?

No, direct with Tesco. are those rates good?