Tell me this isnt true

Harry Monk:

cheeky monkey:
And here was me thinking Vosa had invested millions of tax payers pounds in a state of the art computer system holding every operators mot pass rate,maintence records and court convictions,when all they needed to do to find a dodgy driver was to see if his curtain straps were loose :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

Yea, it occurs to me that VOSA could save all the money they spend on WIMS sensors and go back to the method the Ministry used to use, seeing which trucks went slowest uphill and pulling them in for a check weigh.

And then found that they only had less than a 10 tonne payload on but a Gardner engine so then they booked them for too much smoke to spite them. :laughing: :laughing:

I canā€™t believe they had you building a trailer up. Are you sure it wasnā€™t just some scam to get someone to build up a couple of trailers ready for a run? And are stobbies drivers really being docked some money every week to cover the cost of cpc or is that just a vicious rumour started by my cpc trainer?

If these straps were supposed to be tucked in then surely they would be fitted with some kind of loop so this could be easily achieved,like you would have on your belt.They arenā€™t ,so what does that tell you ?

I canā€™t believe Iā€™m posting this reply butā€¦we are ā€œprofessionalā€ drivers and as such should present ourselves and our vehicles in a professional manner. Yes, I know itā€™s not always possible but try to take a modicum of pride in the job.

Flapping straps are classed as a distraction to passing motorists. They are also untidy, just tuck 'em in.
Give thanks youā€™re not still on ropes and sheets!

Yes, Stobbies are a picky bunch, paperwork in extremis but you get paid to do it. Plan for it.

Tesco at Middlewich insist you bar a trailer if you bring in an unbarred trailer for drop and swap. No big deal, takes 20-30 mins, you get paid for the exercise. Donā€™t forget to knock over the widgets that hold the side bars in place, if any are missing defect the trailer. Stobbiesā€™ rule.

Yes, the hi viz jacket does become a cloak of invisibilty to planners, poor understaffed, overworked [zb] Still, more than one way to skin a cat.

JISL to ESL:
I canā€™t believe Iā€™m posting this reply butā€¦we are ā€œprofessionalā€ drivers and as such should present ourselves and our vehicles in a professional manner. Yes, I know itā€™s not always possible but try to take a modicum of pride in the job.

Flapping straps are classed as a distraction to passing motorists. They are also untidy, just tuck 'em in.
Give thanks youā€™re not still on ropes and sheets!

Yes, Stobbies are a picky bunch, paperwork in extremis but you get paid to do it. Plan for it.

Tesco at Middlewich insist you bar a trailer if you bring in an unbarred trailer for drop and swap. No big deal, takes 20-30 mins, you get paid for the exercise. Donā€™t forget to knock over the widgets that hold the side bars in place, if any are missing defect the trailer. Stobbiesā€™ rule.

Yes, the hi viz jacket does become a cloak of invisibilty to planners, poor understaffed, overworked [zb] Still, more than one way to skin a cat.

I am in the same mind as JISL about posting this, but while you are returning a trailer to a fit state for loading, you are doing nothing else and getting paid, you are not sat waiting on POA or on a rickety canteen chair.

Flapping straps does seem a little over zealous but where do you stop being fussy?

Start Monday morning with an empty trailer and discover all the tilt boards are laid in the bottom of the trailer, or pick an empty up and discover you are the only one on the fleet who carries a sweeping brush

Turn up to change a JIT stand trailer and discover the last driver hasnā€™t laced it up properly and it isnā€™t loaded yet because the customer has site rules regarding cuts, tears and sealing cords. (Continental & Michelin Tyres)

Turn up at a customer with a sealed tanker and discover the last driver could not be arsed to clean a delivery hose properly or failed to dry it out. It is embarrassing to both me and the haulage company.

Do a change over down the road, you are relying on the word of the driver who loaded it, yeah mate itā€™s strapped and sealed. If we all did the job properly, maybe there will be less ā– ā– ā– ā–  ups.

So if that is what they want, tuck your straps in, if the planner rings and asks where you are, tell them you are tucking your straps in, or building a trailer up :stuck_out_tongue:

tofer:
I canā€™t believe they had you building a trailer up. Are you sure it wasnā€™t just some scam to get someone to build up a couple of trailers ready for a run? And are stobbies drivers really being docked some money every week to cover the cost of cpc or is that just a vicious rumour started by my cpc trainer?

i did my first 7 hours through work (stobarts) in feb at appleton it was safe systems of work, covering the usual climbing in and out of cabs and trailers safely. we didnt have to kit a trailer for tesco-that was covered on induction-and as for deducting money, thats rubbish too, only if you leave is anything taken off you the full amount if you leave within 6 months half in 12 months.

Suedehead:
Kin tuckin the straps in my ringpiece.

What ever turns you on :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It seems me and you are from a past generationā€¦ gone are the days of phoning from the Wheelhouse after two days to say ā€œIā€™m backā€ā€¦ nowadays itā€™s all about sitting in a classroom being told to tuck your straps in by a stuffed shirt.

Two days Harry?? canā€™t have been a very long trip lol. :smiley:

You and me both. Man! tucked in straps?? I donā€™t think we ever bothered. H&S and the rest of the jobsworths would have kittens to see some of the other stuff we got up to in those days :laughing: :laughing:

To tuck in or not tuck in thats the question.

Well it all depends on the weight of the load, Heavy loadā€¦ you need to leave straps flapping as it aids hill climbing by giving extra lift, (just think of all those little flapping wings either side) Light weight load tuck them in, keeps you more streamlined and allows a more constant limiter speed.

We used to cart the live Turkeys on one job i did, just before a long climbā€¦ window down, bang on the door, scare the birds, wh got in a flap and made truck lighter. Sorted.

Did someone mention wacky baccy?

If there was any sort of a safety issue on this then the DSA would insist they are tucked in for the LGV tests when a curtainsider is used but there is no such requirement.

When I first started on haulage I had a friend who was a traffic cop & he told me that if they were pulling trucks they were more likely to pull those with straps flapping than those that were tucked in as it implied the driver had taken that bit of extra time & that the curtains were well maintained. It stuck with me over the years and I have always tucked the straps in - really bugged me if the odd one flew loose! Sad I know - probably why Iā€™ve given up drivingā€¦!

tallyman:
traffic cop & he told me that if they were pulling trucks they were more likely to pull those with straps flapping than those that were tucked in as it implied the driver had taken that bit of extra time

A VOSA chap said virtually the same to me - neat truck means care taken so it usually follows that everything else will be done with the same care

Harry Monk:
You are supposed to leave the straps hanging free, then at least you get a few little clean bits on your curtain :wink:

thats always been my theory :laughing:

This could open a big can of worms i mean is the company tie worn over or under the seatbelt.

Come on lads tuck em keeps it nice and tidy, flapping equals wear ect ect

I wonā€™t deny that tucking them in keeps it looking done up and squared away, but to pull you up over something so minor is a pointer in how much of a farce this CPC is.
Some of the others have hit the nail on the head about it regarding things that are actually worth remembering. The tilt ones and tank ones, in particular, are excellent examples. And, really, does it take 7 hours to explain how to climb in, sit down and do your seat belt up? No amount of training is going to negate the odd accidents that happen. A friend of mine fell while climbing into his truck last week, and had to have the tendon in his knee sewn up. A 7 hour course probably would not have prevented him slipping.

To show how silly rules are getting, another mate hit a deer this week in Montana. Checked the truck and found the headlight cover was smashed but otherwise, all was well enough. But he didnā€™t report it using the correct quallcom message so he was ordered to go for retraining in the satellite useā€¦

Teach people to do the job properly, safely and well. Treat them as they deserve to be treated then you have the right to ask them to keep things like straps tidied away. It should be done as a matter of pride, not a demand.

Wheelhouse Harry? Long gone, moreā€™s the pity. Showing your age now boy :wink:

Whats wrong with a little bit of pride in the job??

I did my cpc course on Wednesday and i must say i enjoyed it,made quite a change from going up and down the road and i never dropped off either,learnt a bit as well especailly about how to achieve the driver standards bonus.

I personally cant see the problem with tucking straps away under,the one thing that does my head in is people not putting the curtain under the pelmet,god that does my head in.

btw Ady,how much Tesco work do you do on the chill??

I get paid for building Tesco trailers up so i just get on with it,better than being sat on my fat arse listening to the latest rumours and slagging off of Stobarts in the drivers waiting rooms.

i dont think anyone minds tucking away the straps and tightening up the curtain properly, but what you dont need is getting told how to do it by some plum in a classroom, especially if you have paid for it yourself and lost out on a days work for the privilage, am all for progression and safer systems of work, i havent started my cpc so i dont no what it intails, but by the sound of it, its alot of money to teach you how to ā– ā– ā– ā–  an egg. and at the end of it all you will still be driving and delivering goods exactly the same way as b4, and if the goverments and euro do gooders want to improve our safety and well being they should try building decent truck stops and charge a fair price for a meal. with bays you can actually see and fit into without worrying about winging the lorry next to you. and while there so concerned about us truckers let them build us our own truck lanes so you dont get them annoying drivers that hog lanes at 50mph and speed up as soon as you pull out to overtake now i dont no about you that annoys me a hell of alot more than flapping straps, ( but i must add i tuck mine away cos i like being tidy and it looks better)

jase:
Whats wrong with a little bit of pride in the job??

I did my cpc course on Wednesday and i must say i enjoyed it,made quite a change from going up and down the road and i never dropped off either,learnt a bit as well especailly about how to achieve the driver standards bonus.

I personally cant see the problem with tucking straps away under,the one thing that does my head in is people not putting the curtain under the pelmet,god that does my head in.

btw Ady,how much Tesco work do you do on the chill??

I get paid for building Tesco trailers up so i just get on with it,better than being sat on my fat arse listening to the latest rumours and slagging off of Stobarts in the drivers waiting rooms.

you obviously have never been in a chill waiting room at tesco :wink: :laughing: ,we dont sit on our fat asses ,listening to rumours and slagging stobarts off :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ,youll find the last thing were thinking about is stobarts while were crashed out on the setee ,snoring away[i have had the odd dream about crazy stobart drivers sweating there ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  off in the pitch dark whilst building up tesco tauts] :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .
maybe your course was different but id of much rather been crashed out for 5 hrs at one of my collections rather than 10 hrs in a classroom learning

1. how and when to put a dog clip on at tesco
  2. how to use the steps on a trailer
  3. how to get in and out of a cab safely
  4. how to check if a p.o.d is signed
  5. how to operate a fridge :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: ,sure ive been using them o.k for 10+ years
  6. why not to wear a high viz in cab
  7. how to drop and pick up a trailer safely, ive done it for years without incident ,why do i suddenly need training.
    the only usefull bit was the iso trac[ not sure i quite grasped that though as i delivered the collection to tesco livingstone when i was meant to take it back to the yard :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ], but he did say dont worry your keeping your run sheets as well :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: .
    the original post was not about whether you tucked in your straps in or not, it was the fact i cant believe vosa take a blind bit of notice.
    i also think pride can be misplaced, its far more important in my opinion for general drivers to concentrare on the safety issuesi.e putting your trailer brake on :wink: to prevent rollaways,than worry about tucking in straps. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: