tax liability

Stupid question time. I work for an agency if i went to 2 different clients in a week would that still count as having only one job as far as the tax man goes as its the agency that pays me.

I am asking because last year i had a couple of weeks adhoc work but all under the same agency before i got my current gig and apparently it has been treated as if i had 2 jobs.

If it’s the same agency paying you it shouldn’t make a difference as it’s the agency that employs you, = 1 job

If you work for 2 different agencies then you have to let the tax office know which is your main job & they will calculate your tax free allowance on those earnings, what you earn from the 2nd agency would be taxed at basic rate.
At end of tax year it will all be sorted out so you don’t pay too much tax anyway.

thanks for the info. These shysters want hung drawn and quatered.

cooper1203:
thanks for the info. These shysters want hung drawn and quatered.

I don’t understand how people here seem to manage to find so many bad agencies who screw them over. I’ve done agency work most of the last 27 years and worked for several from a small one that a bloke ran out of his front room to large local and the national ones and have never experienced the kind of being messed about with that people on here post about.

I’d not loose a lot of sleep over the tax man , for years I got a tax letter telling me I owed this / that what seemed every week , it went on and on , tel phone calls to the tax office didn’t solve it , they just said you don’t need to do anything your employer ( agency will adjust your tax code ) , tax code never changed
Then one day I got a letter telling me they owed me apx £50 , I never heard another thing , and that’s over a year I’d estimate now

dozy:
I’d not loose a lot of sleep over the tax man , for years I got a tax letter telling me I owed this / that what seemed every week , it went on and on , tel phone calls to the tax office didn’t solve it , they just said you don’t need to do anything your employer ( agency will adjust your tax code ) , tax code never changed
Then one day I got a letter telling me they owed me apx £50 , I never heard another thing , and that’s over a year I’d estimate now

So did you get the £50? :laughing:

cooper1203:
Stupid question time. I work for an agency if i went to 2 different clients in a week would that still count as having only one job as far as the tax man goes as its the agency that pays me.

I am asking because last year i had a couple of weeks adhoc work but all under the same agency before i got my current gig and apparently it has been treated as if i had 2 jobs.

Umbrellas are only useful in the rain , not as agency tax dodging pay scams

wasnt umbrella i was paye direct with the agency.

cooper1203:
wasnt umbrella i was paye direct with the agency.

If on PAYE the easy way to think about it is you only get one personal tax free allowance. You can split between jobs(Phone HMRC to do it). If not the 2nd job should be BR tax code = Basic rate, no tax free allowance

cooper1203,

I think the problem is your original employment hasn’t been closed. For a situation involving two jobs it is normally the case that the main job uses up the tax free allowance and the second job simply pays 20% tax. In your situation the second job sounds like it has become your main job and your tax-free allowance is still sitting there unused.

If you have overpaid any tax you should get a letter fairly soon with your tax calculation for last year. The tax year ends at the beginning of April and it normally takes HMRC a few weeks to get these out. If you overpaid there will be an automatic cheque.

If you haven’t had a P45 issued for a previous job (to end the employment), HMRC can sometimes even put you on the maximum tax bracket, paying 40%. Essentially HMRC takes the position that you will be earning from both jobs simultaneously and that this will continue throughout the year.