Working for more than one agency

Has anybody ever done this?

Are there any problems with PAYE, etc?

You would be taxed on everything on the second one.

I work full time in a factory driving forkies. Its shift work so I get plenty of time off.

I’m signed up with 3 different agencies for HGV work.

Each agency knows that I’m signed up with the other 2. No problems and its the first one to ring who gets my services. :smiley:

You will just get a BR tax code for the second job, which is the code for a second job… funnily enuf… :smiley: iirc, you’ll get 20% tax on it, cuz you’re obviosly gonna be rackin it in, according to the government… :unamused: :unamused:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

There is a way round it, you sign up with one of the companies that show you as being your own company. I cant remember the name of them, but have a look on the net. From what I can remember you pay them a small fee every week and they bill the agency you have worked for on your behalf, at the end of the year they issue your company accounts for you. you can also claim mileage to and from work and your work clothes as expenses that get offset against tax. By all accounts it looks like a way of making more money, but you dont get holiday pay as technically you are employing yourself. Hope this helps.

Ragtop:
You will just get a BR tax code for the second job, which is the code for a second job… funnily enuf… :smiley: iirc, you’ll get 20% tax on it, cuz you’re obviosly gonna be rackin it in, according to the government… :unamused: :unamused:

Luv
Chrisie… :sunglasses:

Ah ha. But I guess it all evens out in the end.

Recently a lot of my income tax has been in my favour, due to being in and out of work since last November. Shame it can’t last. :cry:

smcaul:
There is a way round it, you sign up with one of the companies that show you as being your own company. I cant remember the name of them, but have a look on the net. From what I can remember you pay them a small fee every week and they bill the agency you have worked for on your behalf, at the end of the year they issue your company accounts for you. you can also claim mileage to and from work and your work clothes as expenses that get offset against tax. By all accounts it looks like a way of making more money, but you dont get holiday pay as technically you are employing yourself. Hope this helps.

Interesting, but don’t most of the agencies work on their own terms rather than yours as regards their payroll set ups and such.

smcaul, is it “nova” your thinking of? i`ve seen an agency ad somewhere lately that said nova drivers welcome

JONBOY@RH:
i`ve seen an agency ad somewhere lately that said nova drivers welcome

With a bodykit and covered in primer?

when i first started out i was driving for several agencies, at the end of it though it really wasn’t working out financially simply because the tax bill was higher and higher. It pays to stick with the agency that can get ya the most work.

Was at tesco’s hinkley a while back and a guy i was chatting to was on about nova, evidently it’s fool proof and all above board, he reckons he was raking it in. One of those tales that i took with a pinch of salt. Evidently it’s something about not being registered in this country but abroad therefore your tax position changes or summat.

Your main job is taxed on your tax code, additional work for the likes of an agency is taxed at Basic Rate of 1\3rd if I think rightly, however, at the end of the tax year you would declare both lots of earnings, your tax code will tell you what your limit is before you start paying tax, therefore lets say you were allowed £2500 tax free and your main employment had paid you £7500 thats tax on £5,000 you should have paid, but in the meantime, Job 2 has given you £7500 you will have paid basic rate tax on the full £7500 therefore you would be due a refund on the difference payable on £15,000 less your £2500 tax allowance.

It’s only when your not filling in your tax forms that you lose out, so if your doing regular agency work make sure you declare the lot to the tax man when you fill in your tax forms to get a new code.

As regards Nova, anyone thinking about following that route might like to read this previous thread.

Davey Driver:
It’s only when your not filling in your tax forms that you lose out, so if your doing regular agency work make sure you declare the lot to the tax man when you fill in your tax forms to get a new code.

I’ve never had a tax form…I thought you only had to worry if you earn’t over a certain amount…I know my dad always had to fill in a tax return.

Would I be sent one, or have to ask?

Andyroo:
Would I be sent one, or have to ask?

They are supposed to send you one at least once in every 3 years, but you can request one anytime if you think you are paying too much tax :wink:

Did you also know, that if your company supply you uniform bearing the company logo, provided they dont provide a laundring service (pretty unlikely)
You can claim tax relief for laundering your own clothes, its not much but it all helps, and all you need to do is drop a letter to your tax office, they will contact your HR department to confirm, and amend your tax code to the correct one. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Gurner:
Did you also know, that if your company supply you uniform bearing the company logo, provided they dont provide a laundring service (pretty unlikely)
You can claim tax relief for laundering your own clothes, its not much but it all helps, and all you need to do is drop a letter to your tax office, they will contact your HR department to confirm, and amend your tax code to the correct one. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Haha…whoever said accountancy was boring. :laughing:

I’m signed up with about 10 agencies at the moment but the trick is not to let the others know. If you do tell them or they get wind of it you’ll find that they quit ringing you up offering you work and often get arsey with you.

A couple of years back I regularly used the excuse that I didn’t know if I’d be wanting work or not as I was temporarily working for my brother. This was complete zebidite and I was regularly getting better paid work from another agency instead. Then one day I cocked up as the client I was working for that day had had a visit from the other agency and they saw me there. A few awkward questions were asked and it didn’t take a genuis for them to put 2 and 2 together to see what I was up to. Unsurprisingly they stopped ringing me up after that and strangely never had any work for me when I phoned them up needing some…

With regards the tax situation, as has already been said, you can only get a proper tax code (ie. 471L) from one company/agency. Any other work you do will be taxed at the basic rate (BR code) unless you tell their tax office otherwise that you want them to be the primary one.

Basically, the golden rule is never to tell your primary earner that you’re working elsewhere too (especially an agency :exclamation: ) because they’re all operating on a shoe-string with naff-all profit margin and don’t like competition.

I’m interested in this topic. I’m going to go and register with another agency when it gets quiet I think and work for two different ones, so I’ll give the taxman a buzz and see what he says about working for two different employers :wink: .

I work as an IT consultant and I run things through my own limited company and I bill my clients, often through another agency, and that ensures I keep control of my tax and NI.

Do agencies not allow you to work like this? If they did that would solve the problems for the driver - and take a headache away from the agencies.

I know employers, whether involved in fixed or temp employment must be comfortable that you contribute tax and NI, I wonder whether this is why agencies don’t operate like this?

I don’t have too much experience in driving agency side of things, but the IT agencies I work for all want to see my Certificate of Incorporation which proves I have a limited company and are then responsible for my own affairs.

Paul

If you want just to do it as an employee, just ask all but one of your employers to use tax code BR. That way, all of your tax-free allowance is used up by one employer (the one that uses your real tax code), and all the rest pay tax at basic rate (22%).

Unless the employer which is using your real tax code pays you less than £2020 + your allowance (=£6765 for just a basic personal allowance) over the year, or you earn a total of over £31400 + allowance (=£36145 for personal allowance) over the year, you’ll be paying the right amount of tax.

National Insurance is calculated on a weekly, rather than annual basis, and is per-employer, rather than per-person. So, unless you’re earning a total of more than about £31k/year, you should automatically pay the correct NICs.

Disclaimer - I’m not a professional, and I’m not qualified to give you advice…

More details on www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk