Tachograph - Satellite Tracking On The Way

European Commission - Press release

Road transport: new tachograph rules will save companies more than €500 million per year

Brussels, 19 July 2011 - The European Commission has proposed to revise the tachograph legislation to make full use of new technological opportunities such as satellite positioning. This will make fraud more difficult and reduce the administrative burden, which is expected to save companies €515 million per year. By ensuring better compliance with rules on driving times and rest periods, drivers will be better protected, road safety increased and fair competition assured.

Six million European trucks and busses are equipped with tachographs in order to enable the control of compliance of professional drivers and transport undertakings with the social road transport legislation1. The digital tachograph was made mandatory for new vehicles in 2006. The present proposal aims to update the legal framework which dates back to 1985. The new regulation will help to reduce fraud and cut the administrative burden related to the tachograph’s use.

Vice-President Siim Kallas said: “The rules on driving times and rest periods are there to protect professional drivers and other road users. They also ensure fair competition and good working conditions for drivers. The digital tachograph is an excellent control tool to ensure that these objectives are achieved. This proposal is not only very important to maintain the reliability of the digital tachograph but it also constitutes a significant step towards introducing an intelligent, integrated on-board unit on trucks that will contribute to improving the efficiency of the EU transport system.”

The proposal provides for several novelties:

Location recording by satellite positioning system will allow replacing manual recording by automated ones. It will save €349 million per year for road transport undertakings and their drivers. It allows for better monitoring and provides important information for organising the logistics chain.

Remote communication that increases efficiency of roadside checks that can be targeted on those vehicles which are more likely to be in breach of the legislation. As complying drivers will be stopped less frequently, a reduction of administrative burden by €34.5 million per year can be achieved.

Specific interface to allow for an integration into intelligent transport systems, while respecting the applicable legislation on data protection.

Higher standards for workshops entrusted to install and calibrate the tachograph will reduce fraud and manipulation.

Merging the driving licence with the driver card to be used with the digital tachograph. This will reduce the administrative burden on drivers by €100 million per year. It will also reduce fraudulent use of driver cards, which today are too easily handed over to other drivers.

Continuous update of the tachograph specifications in order to ensure that a high level of security is maintained and that opportunities for fraud and manipulation are reduced.

The proposal will also allow Member States to grant exceptions from the obligation to use tachographs for certain users within a uniformly extended radius, as for example craftsmen (reduction of administrative burden of €52.8 million per year). This had been suggested by the High Level Group of Independent Stakeholders on Administrative Burdens.

The proposal has been submitted to Parliament and Council who are invited to adopt the proposal. The proposal is accompanied by a Communication from the Commission which explains how security will be maintained over time, how the Commission intends to use standards set by the European Committee for Standardization (CEN) for certain parts of the tachograph equipment, and how the Commission intends to cooperate with third countries at the level of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE)2.

I would say that the quote bellow is EU speak for “we will remotely monitor your movements” :wink:

Remote communication that increases efficiency of roadside checks that can be targeted on those vehicles which are more likely to be in breach of the legislation.

Merging a driving licence and tacho card is a great idea, less money to fork out on renewals

bubsy06:
Merging a driving licence and tacho card is a great idea, less money to fork out on renewals

And less cards to carry, actually I’m surprised it’s taken so long.

I believe 2017 is the target date for merging driver license and driver card :wink:

tachograph:

bubsy06:

And less cards to carry, actually I’m surprised it’s taken so long.

I believe 2017 is the target date for merging driver license and driver card :wink:

I have a funny feeling that renewal prices might double by then :wink:

Big Brother will be watching you! :laughing:

I guess it’s the inevitable progression from what we now have. Lets face it, the Germans already have the
capability via the Maut system (for those trucks with an OBU).
Now, we all know how easy it is to receive fines courtesy of ANPR, so it’s not difficult to imagine how easy it would be to issue penalties if every movement is satellite monitored.

The future - :question:

Put driving licence/digicard/dcpc card into VU - no need to enter start/finish place as satellite knows where you are and wether the all the info on the card is up to date as sat link also links to DVLA database - just enter any off-card duties - job done

No need to download as it is automatically done via sat link

Any infringements are automatically sent to VOSA database and FPNs despatched accordingly

Driver inputs next destination and lies on bunk with ‘mate of their choice’ whilst truck goes there … sorry, daydream going too far … :laughing:

PS - RDCs also on same system and informs driver when they will actually be ready for them - now that is going toooooooo far …

It’s a travesty. Spy in the Cab. Loads of drivers will hang up their keys rather than go along with this. We should be more like the French.

There, I think that covers everything. :wink:

I’ve been satellite tracked now coming up 4 years! It’s the only equipment along with a camera that is not linked directly by satellite link! We are tracked for location,speed,ringfences etc We have Canbus installed to the same system to monitor wether you use Cruise control,green band and even harsh braking! It’s called Isotrak! :unamused:

Coffeeholic:
It’s a travesty. Spy in the Cab. Loads of drivers will hang up their keys rather than go along with this. We should be more like the French.

There, I think that covers everything. :wink:

I dont like frogs legs

Just found some more info on this and it’s not a bad as it seems … well not for now anyway :laughing:

FAQ on the proposal to modify Council Regulation (EEC) No 3821/85 on tachographs
~snip~
What will change?

For drivers, the new digital tachograph will be more user friendly, allowing for the reduction of manual entries, thanks to the integrated satellite positioning system. Another simplification for drivers but also for control officers is integrating driving cards into driving licenses.

Transport undertakings will also benefit from the new equipment, which will allow them to better manage their fleet (thanks to the new ITS standard interface). Given that the new device will reduce the number of manipulations, a much fairer competition will be ensured. The proposal provides for roadside checks targeted by remote control, which will lead to fewer frequent stops. Thus transport undertakings will be even more encouraged to comply with rules on driving time and rest periods.

The proposal will also facilitate the work of control officers, as they will have the possibility of filtering “suspect” drivers. The new device will also provide them with more precise location data and more reliable and trustworthy information.

How will the new satellite positioning functionality of the tachograph be used?

The location of the end and start of the driver’s working day will be automatically recorded instead of having to be manually entered in the tachograph by the driver as it is the case today. However the location of the detailed route of the vehicle will not be recorded. This technologically neutral functionality of the digital tachograph will therefore be in full compliance with data protection legislation. Only information necessary for enforcing driving time rules will be used.
~snip~
When will the changes be introduced in the field?

The Commission expects that the European Parliament and Council adopt the proposed regulation by 2012, in order for the technical specifications to be developed in 2013 and 2014. The actual industrialisation of the new tachograph could take place in 2015 and 2016, so that the product is put on the market in December 2017.

dessy:
I’ve been satellite tracked now coming up 4 years! It’s the only equipment along with a camera that is not linked directly by satellite link! We are tracked for location,speed,ringfences etc We have Canbus installed to the same system to monitor wether you use Cruise control,green band and even harsh braking! It’s called Isotrak! :unamused:

We are the same, even tells them how much driving time we have done for that day/week/fortnight.

Paul

Can only be a good thing, if you can see what VOSA can see then it will be less fines, and as VOSA are supposedly now self funding then they will be in trouble :wink:

Yeah & automatic fines for speeding, soon every truck will have to do 40mph on a s/c etc etc or risk losing licence. My company has tracking equipment which also saves road type & speed, harsh breaking etc etc. Any driver caught speeding risks losing their job

tyler4164:
Yeah & automatic fines for speeding, soon every truck will have to do 40mph on a s/c etc etc or risk losing licence. My company has tracking equipment which also saves road type & speed, harsh breaking etc etc. Any driver caught speeding risks losing their job

Hmmmmm gonna need a much bigger magnet :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Money for old rope…

Simple question, whats the datum? If the thing is 1m out how can they prove anything at all?

If they had a Satnav like the one in my phone I would be bankrupt already.

I would hang my keys up but I would have to fetch them from the DCPC hook.

W

Some of it sounds ok. But I do have worries. For example: the clueless bod in the office will just look at where you’re going, see the driving time you have left and make no allowances for delays, driving round site when you get there, finding parking areas etc etc. At the moment, if asked, we quote our remaining driving time taking these things into consideration ( or is that just me :question: )

What a load of ■■■■.

grumpybum:
Some of it sounds ok. But I do have worries. For example: the clueless bod in the office will just look at where you’re going, see the driving time you have left and make no allowances for delays, driving round site when you get there, finding parking areas etc etc. At the moment, if asked, we quote our remaining driving time taking these things into consideration ( or is that just me :question: )

Sounds like our place now!!

So, whaddya reckon if all HGVs were effectively restricted to 40mph Max on non-dualled roads?

Will it:-

a) lead to more dodgy impatient overtakes;
b) lead to the general public demanding an increase in the maximum speed for HGVs as appropriate;
c) have no discernable effect.