Big Brother Watching from June 2019

Courtesy of UKHaulier.co.uk

Road Safety just got smarter

The introduction of smart tachographs has been confirmed for June 2019 and from that date, any new commercial vehicle will be required to be fitted with the new generation of smart tachograph. But what does that actually mean for the haulage industry and how are these new tachos different from the current version?

Tachographs have been mandatory in HGVs since the 1970’s, with the sole aim of reducing road accidents caused by HGV and bus drivers due to tiredness. However, despite the obvious risks involved in flouting laws surrounding driver hours, there have been numerous cases over the years of operators and drivers receiving hefty fines due to exceeding recommended driving hours, and even tampering with tachos to disguise misuse.

Technology has advanced since the early tachographs of the 1970’s, with digital tachos becoming mandatory for newly registered vehicles in 2006. The introduction of digital tachographs made it harder for rogue operators and drivers to cheat the system, but there is still a high level of human administration involved to effectively log and monitor driver hours.

How are the new smart tachographs different?

Roadside interrogation – the first point that is causing quite a stir in the industry is that the new smart tachos will enable law enforcement officers to remotely access smart tachograph systems from the roadside, without even pulling trucks over. Yes, the data on your tacho can be captured as you drive by!

Global Positioning Systems (GPS) – where current digital tachos only log a country code, and this often has to be manually entered by the driver, the new smart tachos will automatically record the vehicle’s location using GPS. It will log the starting place of the daily working period, every three hours of accumulated driving time and the end place of the daily working period.

Data sharing – The fourth-generation smart tachograph will also be allowed to share its data with other approved vehicle telematics systems, bringing a driver’s working hours easily into fleet telematics systems.

What do the new smart tachographs mean for operators and drivers?

Less ad hoc roadside interrogations – every time a truck is pulled over, there’s a knock-on cost to the operator. Giving enforcement officers the ability to read tacho data without stopping vehicles will reduce unnecessary stops. However, it should be noted that while new trucks are required to have smart tachos installed from June 2019, enforcement authorities do not need to be equipped with the remote detection equipment until March 2031.

Real-time tracking – the introduction of GPS will mean operators will be able to see what a driver is doing in ‘real-time’ and there will be no doubt about a vehicle’s location. Operators will have the ability to track vehicles, pinpointing their precise location within a few meters. Drivers will be unable to manually enter locations.

Administration costs – less manual data entry. Information from the tacho can be easily shared with the operator’s telematics system. All information can now be kept in one place, in real time, without having to work on estimates of a driver’s duty, or information being provided by the drivers themselves. Real-time analysis could help with load planning.

What do we think about the introduction of Smart Tachographs next year?

Will Smith, Managing Director at Savanna Driver Recruitment, said: “From our perspective, anything that could improve road safety and provide greater visibility of vehicles is a positive development for the transport industry. It will reduce administrative costs for operators and help to eliminate the potential misuse or manipulation of tachos.

There is concern among drivers and operators that data collected from remote access could lead to automatic fines, but this is not the case. Any data transmitted will only be used to make the decision about whether to pull the vehicle over for a formal check. Data will only be stored for the duration of the roadside check and must be deleted no more than three hours after it takes place, unless prohibited activity is detected.

So basically the unit will only show enough data to the VOSA man for him to make a decision whether or not to pull the truck over.

Oh wait, just read all the article, so they are tracking your location. No more fudging breaks whilst getting loaded… so no more foot down Friday.

Yeah, just wait till fines appear through the door because the gps calculated the speed limits and distance and deduced you arrived 5 minutes earlier than you should have.
Or that you strayed into a bus lane momentarily for 8.3 secs on the 24th of last month
Or you stopped with the rear of the trailer over a yellow box junction
Or any other number of things which they will see an opportunity for revenue from thanks to these new wonderful tachos being brought in under the guise of saving lives to stop drivers driving while tired (unless the shops are empty after heavy snowfall of course. Youre allowed to drive for 7 days, 11 hours a day with no breaks when the shops are empty and not be a danger to anyone else!)

Watch the sale of super mag-mounts start to increase…

Really :open_mouth:
To be honest if your really that worried it’s th3 likes of you that hav3 fudge up the industry
nuff said

nick2008:
To be honest if your really that worried it’s th3 likes of you that hav3 fudge up the industry
nuff said

Youll need to explain how you arrived at that conclusion

Used to drive for a supermarket chain in the 90’s and we had these things fitted back then, as soon as you got near the depot it automatically stared to download all the information about your driving, I thought back then we where testing them for manufacturers and these will be standard fitment in the future, just glad I’m long retired out of it…stay safe…

Ossie

biggriffin:

I assume…

That a mag mount might somehow disrupt or destroy the outgoing signal and fox the old bill?

If that’s the idea, I can’t think of a quicker way to get yerself pulled over. This is along the same line of thinking that CDs in yer windscreen got you out of laser speed detection.

yourhavingalarf:

biggriffin:

I assume…

That a mag mount might somehow disrupt or destroy the outgoing signal and fox the old bill?

If that’s the idea, I can’t think of a quicker way to get yerself pulled over. This is along the same line of thinking that CDs in yer windscreen got you out of laser speed detection.

A digital signal doesn’t like magnetic fields, but I’ve got a wilson1000 on mine and a 10m radio, so all above board.

The-Snowman:

nick2008:
nuff said

No he doesn’t, he clearly said “nuff said” :wink:

I did say this was coming but seemed to get ignored.Personally I thinks it’s a great idea because all these idiots we see will not be on the road much longer if they persist with their poor driving standards.

BRING IT ON :smiley:

jakethesnake:
I did say this was coming but seemed to get ignored.Personally I thinks it’s a great idea because all these idiots we see will not be on the road much longer if they persist with their poor driving standards.

That’s a bit of a leap to state that it will clear the idiots off the road. Why will it? People will still be able to drive like a dangerous ■■■■ and as long as they do not incur infringements they’ll carry on the same as before. Enforcement is the only way to clear the dross out of our ranks.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; an unmarked police car on the roads only affects the actions of one driver at a time, and that’s after the fact. A marked police car however constantly affects the habits of hundreds of vehicles. Therefore it’s obvious that if the powers to be wish to effect real change instead of merely paying lip service to road safety they must bite the bullet and accept and absorb the cost of a highly visible police presence on our roads.

And then tptb wonder why the recruitment and retention of drivers is a problem.

the maoster:

jakethesnake:

That’s a bit of a leap to state that it will clear the idiots off the road. Why will it? People will still be able to drive like a dangerous ■■■■ and as long as they do not incur infringements they’ll carry on the same as before. Enforcement is the only way to clear the dross out of our ranks.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; an unmarked police car on the roads only affects the actions of one driver at a time, and that’s after the fact. A marked police car however constantly affects the habits of hundreds of vehicles. Therefore it’s obvious that if the powers to be wish to effect real change instead of merely paying lip service to road safety they must bite the bullet and accept and absorb the cost of a highly visible police presence on our roads.

Good post moaster.
As for all seeing tachos…I have nothing to hide.

the maoster:

jakethesnake:

Maybe not initially but wait till the whole system kicks in properly.They say it will not record certain data but do you believe them? Of course they will and eventually the fines and bans will make the authorities a fortune and the roads far safer.
In the meantime I agree more patrol cars (especially unmarked) would do the world of good and they know that but this like the speed cameras etc will save them an awful lot of manpower with probably better results.
Not the best way to go in my opinion but it is the way that is going to happen.

trucks have them fitted in 2019,but vosa dont need to have the readers fitted until 2031■■
am i reading that correctly?
by that time half the drivers nowadays and on here will be dead or retired leaving the steering wheel attendants to just bend over and take a little bit more .
the interim period should only give the paddys and the tangs 12 years to work out how to wangle it on the fiddle…seems fair enough at that. :wink:

As far as authorities reading info from tacho, it will transmit certain info such as driving without card or power interruption but will not transmit details of drivers hours etc for driver fines unless said driver is pulled over. Cannot find where I read this info can anyone confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The-Snowman:

nick2008:
nuff said

Quite simple snowman . If your 100% by the book what have you to be worried about and the drivers running bent all these years have done more damage to the industry.
Or can’t you see that

biggriffin:
so all above board.

Then…

Why interupt/distort/upset the signal?

I wonder if the new tachos will still communicate whilst in out of scope mode when no driver card is in ?