Big Brother Watching from June 2019

The last paragraph of the article, which was not in the OP’s original text, reads as follows:

"Although smart tachos will only be mandatory on new vehicles, our prediction is that many operators will make the decision to install them on older trucks once they see the benefits.”

Certainly the majority of TN members have nothing to hide from the DVSA enforcement, but I imagine the harassment from the pointy shoes in the traffic office will ramp up a level sooner than we think.

Punchy Dan:
I wonder if the new tachos will still communicate whilst in out of scope mode when no driver card is in ?

Can they tell the difference between a milk tanker and a fuel tanker, between a mini bus and a transit tipper? All have different rules about driving hours.

The system doesn’t store information for more than 3 hours. It will be like driving in France again. Take plenty of breaks and they accept 12 hours of driving.

RIPPER:
Courtesy of UKHaulier.co.uk

Road Safety just got smarter.

First piece of rubbish. Road safety my @rse

The introduction of smart tachographs has been confirmed for June 2019 and from that date, any new commercial vehicle will be required to be fitted with the new generation of smart tachograph. But what does that actually mean for the haulage industry and how are these new tachos different from the current version?

Tachographs have been mandatory in HGVs since the 1970’s, with the sole aim of reducing road accidents caused by HGV and bus drivers due to tiredness. However, despite the obvious risks involved in flouting laws surrounding driver hours, there have been numerous cases over the years of operators and drivers receiving hefty fines due to exceeding recommended driving hours, and even tampering with tachos to disguise misuse.

Meaningless; Numerous cases over the years? Fractions of one percent of lorry movements. Those who are going to run bent will always find a way around the rules. This is simply the bit that can be handed out to placate the readership of the Daily Bigot.

Technology has advanced since the early tachographs of the 1970’s, with digital tachos becoming mandatory for newly registered vehicles in 2006. The introduction of digital tachographs made it harder for rogue operators and drivers to cheat the system, but there is still a high level of human administration involved to effectively log and monitor driver hours.

Rubbish. It’s practically all automated and worked out by computers. Rogue operators will (I repeat) always find a way around the system.

How are the new smart tachographs different?

Roadside interrogation – the first point that is causing quite a stir in the industry is that the new smart tachos will enable law enforcement officers to remotely access smart tachograph systems from the roadside, without even pulling trucks over. Yes, the data on your tacho can be captured as you drive by!

… so VOSA don’t even have to stop the lorries? Brilliant. I’ll have those six (cheap) bald tyres over there, those worn brake linings and I won’t strap the load down because I’m safe as long as the c@ckwombles can download a legal tacho. I’m laughing!

Global Positioning Systems (GPS) – where current digital tachos only log a country code, and this often has to be manually entered by the driver, the new smart tachos will automatically record the vehicle’s location using GPS. It will log the starting place of the daily working period, every three hours of accumulated driving time and the end place of the daily working period.

Hardly going to effect 99% of the drivers in this country though, is it! (Unless Nicola gets her way! Get your passports out boys!)

Data sharing – The fourth-generation smart tachograph will also be allowed to share its data with other approved vehicle telematics systems, bringing a driver’s working hours easily into fleet telematics systems.

What do the new smart tachographs mean for operators and drivers?

Less ad hoc roadside interrogations – every time a truck is pulled over, there’s a knock-on cost to the operator. Giving enforcement officers the ability to read tacho data without stopping vehicles will reduce unnecessary stops. However, it should be noted that while new trucks are required to have smart tachos installed from June 2019, enforcement authorities do not need to be equipped with the remote detection equipment until March 2031.

So there’s going to be a 12 year iterregnum? Yeah, right. Next week I’ll show you how to nail jelly to the ceiling.

Real-time tracking – the introduction of GPS will mean operators will be able to see what a driver is doing in ‘real-time’ and there will be no doubt about a vehicle’s location. Operators will have the ability to track vehicles, pinpointing their precise location within a few meters. Drivers will be unable to manually enter locations.

Big deal. These days an amazing number of even small operators have trackers in the units (and, often, the trailers too).

Administration costs – less manual data entry. Information from the tacho can be easily shared with the operator’s telematics system. All information can now be kept in one place, in real time, without having to work on estimates of a driver’s duty, or information being provided by the drivers themselves. Real-time analysis could help with load planning.

Translation: The brainless twonk in planning can make sure that you get exactly and precisely up to your legal maximum every week, without having to wait until the Thursday night to see how much time you have left on your card.
Yeah… making sure that you always work your full allocation is a real step towards road safety. Pill@cks.

What do we think about the introduction of Smart Tachographs next year?

Will Smith, Managing Director at Savanna Driver Recruitment, said: “From our perspective, anything that could improve road safety and provide greater visibility of vehicles is a positive development for the transport industry. It will reduce administrative costs for operators and help to eliminate the potential misuse or manipulation of tachos.

Drivel. Meaningless drivel. This will do absolutely nothing to improve road safety. If you want to improve road safety you either have to do what Maoster said and put more marked police cars on the road or (and here’s an idea) start treating cars, and car drivers, the same way you treat lorries and lorry drivers (and you’ll get 90% of the cars off the roads within a year!).
As for eliminating the mis-use of tachos… cr@p. If the driver is mis-using his tacho then the adminitrators already know - so it must (by definition) be with the sanction of his boss. That won’t be changed by fiddling while Rome burns.

[There is concern among drivers and operators that data collected from remote access could lead to automatic fines, but this is not the case. Any data transmitted will only be used to make the decision about whether to pull the vehicle over for a formal check. Data will only be stored for the duration of the roadside check and must be deleted no more than three hours after it takes place, unless prohibited activity is detected.

This is not the case? If you believe that – you’ll believe anything and I know a Nigerian Prince; if you send £5,000 to me…
If you really believe that, with modern technology, the data cannot be processed and notifications be sent out within 3 hours then you’ve obviously been living under a rock somewhere for the last 25 years.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=156389

nick2008:

The-Snowman:

nick2008:
Really :open_mouth:
To be honest if your really that worried it’s th3 likes of you that hav3 fudge up the industry
nuff said

Youll need to explain how you arrived at that conclusion

Quite simple snowman . If your 100% by the book what have you to be worried about and the drivers running bent all these years have done more damage to the industry.
Or can’t you see that

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
does that just translate to the proverbial statement of…if you have nothing to hide you wil have nothing to worry about ?
it might be a simple case of having 1 magnet for the tacho,and another one for the gearbox,though id imagine the remote control hard wire bypass jobs favoured by the ee mobs should stil work ok?
as soon as they make it,then shortly after a paddy will break it and life will go on. :slight_smile:

Win-Stone:
First piece of rubbish. Road safety my @rse

Meaningless; Numerous cases over the years? Fractions of one percent of lorry movements. Those who are going to run bent will always find a way around the rules. This is simply the bit that can be handed out to placate the readership of the Daily Bigot.

Rubbish. It’s practically all automated and worked out by computers. Rogue operators will (I repeat) always find a way around the system.

… so VOSA don’t even have to stop the lorries? Brilliant. I’ll have those six (cheap) bald tyres over there, those worn brake linings and I won’t strap the load down because I’m safe as long as the c@ckwombles can download a legal tacho. I’m laughing!

Hardly going to effect 99% of the drivers in this country though, is it! (Unless Nicola gets her way! Get your passports out boys!)

So there’s going to be a 12 year iterregnum? Yeah, right. Next week I’ll show you how to nail jelly to the ceiling.

Big deal. These days an amazing number of even small operators have trackers in the units (and, often, the trailers too).

Translation: The brainless twonk in planning can make sure that you get exactly and precisely up to your legal maximum every week, without having to wait until the Thursday night to see how much time you have left on your card.
Yeah… making sure that you always work your full allocation is a real step towards road safety. Pill@cks.

Drivel. Meaningless drivel. This will do absolutely nothing to improve road safety. If you want to improve road safety you either have to do what Maoster said and put more marked police cars on the road or (and here’s an idea) start treating cars, and car drivers, the same way you treat lorries and lorry drivers (and you’ll get 90% of the cars off the roads within a year!).
As for eliminating the mis-use of tachos… cr@p. If the driver is mis-using his tacho then the adminitrators already know - so it must (by definition) be with the sanction of his boss. That won’t be changed by fiddling while Rome burns.

I agree with all of this especially the ‘‘brainless twonk planning max hours’’ bit.

Mixed feelings on all this, personally not really fussed as I don’t run bent as I’ve no desire to make my (already greedy) firm any richer at the cost of my licence, pocket or even worse nowadays…freedom. :bulb:

On the other hand this is just another nail in the coffin of the job that I once loved, in terms of even more ott surveillance and monitoring, purely only there to make money …under the convenient guise of ‘road safety’. :bulb:

nick2008:

The-Snowman:

nick2008:
To be honest if your really that worried it’s th3 likes of you that hav3 fudge up the industry
nuff said

Quite simple snowman . If your 100% by the book what have you to be worried about and the drivers running bent all these years have done more damage to the industry.
Or can’t you see that

“If you arent doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about”.
Spoken like a true millenial.
Thats the motto of those who will quite happily give up their civil liberties piece by piece because its “for their own good” whilst still believing they live in a free country.

Im all for them getting the cowboys and bent runners off the road and out of the industry but im not prepared to be monitored 24/7 and be hammered for every minor indiscretion and error I make while they’re doing it

Incidently, if you think this wonderful new industry saving technology wont be abused by the bean counters in the traffic office who would struggle to find the steering wheel in an hgv never mind drive it then you’re being very naive.

The-Snowman:

nick2008:

The-Snowman:

nick2008:
nuff said

Or can’t you see that

Thats the motto of those who will quite happily give up their civil liberties piece by piece because its “for their own good” whilst still believing they live in a free country.

Im all for them getting the cowboys and bent runners off the road and out of the industry but im not prepared to be monitored 24/7 and be hammered for every minor indiscretion and error I make while they’re doing it

Incidently, if you think this wonderful new industry saving technology wont be abused by the bean counters in the traffic office who would struggle to find the steering wheel in an hgv never mind drive it then you’re being very naive.

But I’m sure it’s going that way because the bent runners have placed the problem on the plate of the authority’s it’s the usual minority pushing legislation and technology.
I’m in no way naive ive been in this job 39 years and yes so much has changed a lot for the good but you’ll still get the cowboys ( drivers and owners alike ) running bent be it UK or European. The same as facility’s why put something in place for drivers when all they do is crap or ■■■■ in a bottle and just chuck it in the bushes.
Like anything it’s open for abuse until someone gets caught using it out of the scope for which it’s designed for.
I also feel that it’s about time that the tachograph should be able to tell the difference between rest and poa , all the software needs is to recognise that there’s not a card in slot 2 this would prevent incorrect records the same as with a second driver the tachograph should be able to change modes even when the veh is moving as th3 2nd man may be doing paperwork etc .

The-Snowman:

^^^^^^^^^^:^

and when I told this is coming I was treated as… emmm well like I’m always treated here… pretty much…

what you will do you ask■■?

the same as Canadians and Americans… you will not get new trucks :smiley: you will stick to the old ones…

well that’s for the one who are afraid ofbeing watched - have reason too… :slight_smile:

It ain’t the recording hours that some need to worry about.The GPS will incriminate plenty in the future. :wink:

This development is most unfortunate for my regular 25 mile coffee detours… :neutral_face:

eagerbeaver:
This development is most unfortunate for my regular 25 mile coffee detours… :neutral_face:

You could always put the gps on premod. That way by the time your location appears you’ll already have finished for the day and be back in Beaver Towers enjoying your Chablis. :wink:

like most things that have happened in the past,you take it as it comes,we always have and we always will