tacho

Hi need some advice when starting my shift i put the tacho on rest and leave it there till i finish so every time i stop it says rest can i get done for this

Yes! and VOSA also take a dim view if they can’t see a period of other work at the start of the shift when you should have been doing your vehicle checks.

You should be using the mode buttons.
Also if you don’t use mode buttons how can you define between breaks and POA?
One more point I believe the defualt setting for a digital tacho in other work, so you might need to get used to using mode switches,

its a serious offence. falsification isnt taken too lightly in court and if they feel that they cant offer a serious enough punishment then it will be passed up to crown court. then of course the traffic commissioner can add to the misery. they are taking action against anyone caught using a mobile while driving. they are dishing out 14 day suspensions all over the place regardless of your history and thats after the police have dealt with you

skip207:
Hi need some advice when starting my shift i put the tacho on rest and leave it there till i finish so every time i stop it says rest can i get done for this

As already said it’s illegal.
The regulations require you to record all times of work which clearly you’re not doing.
I suggest you get used to putting the tachograph on other work mode and remembering to change it when necessary.

Okay so what u r saying is at the start of my shift put the tacho on other work (the little square) so it will switch to drive when moving then when i stop for a break move it to rest, can i use rest when there is no work to do some times i can just park up for an hour or so till more work comes in also how can u show when u r driving of road ie at the coup/ recycling centre can somtimes be in there ten times a day for a minimum of ten minuets each visit

Cheers

skip207:
Okay so what u r saying is at the start of my shift put the tacho on other work (the little square) so it will switch to drive when moving then when i stop for a break move it to rest, can i use rest when there is no work to do some times i can just park up for an hour or so till more work comes in also how can u show when u r driving of road ie at the coup/ recycling centre can somtimes be in there ten times a day for a minimum of ten minuets each visit

Cheers

OK, lets see if I get this right without getting shot by Coffeeholic, our resident guru on these matters :wink:

The little square is for POA the cross hammers is other work
Off road shows as driving time and is no different than on road driving where driving hours are concerned
coupling up will show a mixture of other work and driving and the mode switch should be cross hammers for this activity

Now dons bulletproof gear and waits for Coffeeholic :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

What is POA sorrry for being a dummie but Ihave never been shown how to use a tacho so make it simple for me at the start of my shift what symbol do i put the tacho at,i know it will change to drive mode when i move, when i stop to make delivery what do i change the tacho to and so on

skip207:
What is POA sorrry for being a dummie but Ihave never been shown how to use a tacho so make it simple for me at the start of my shift what symbol do i put the tacho at,i know it will change to drive mode when i move, when i stop to make delivery what do i change the tacho to and so on

Neil is away I think so I will post one of his links for you.

POA = Period of Availability.

Working Time Directive

Here is the relevant bit in quote.

Periods of availability
6. - (1) A period shall not be treated as a period of availability unless the mobile worker knows before the start of the relevant period about that period of availability and its reasonably foreseeable duration.

(2) The time spent by a mobile worker, who is working as part of a team, travelling in, but not driving, a moving vehicle as part of that team shall be a period of availability for that mobile worker.

(3) Subject to paragraph (4) a period of availability shall not include a period of rest or a break.

(4) A period of availability may include a break taken by a mobile worker during waiting time or time which is not devoted to driving by the mobile worker and is spent in a moving vehicle, a ferry or a train.

Breaks
7. - (1) No mobile worker shall work for more than six hours without a break.

(2) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds six hours but does not exceed nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 30 minutes and interrupting that time.

(3) Where a mobile worker’s working time exceeds nine hours, the worker shall be entitled to a break lasting at least 45 minutes and interrupting that period.

(4) Each break may be made up of separate periods of not less than 15 minutes each…

(5) An employer shall take all reasonable steps, in keeping with the need to protect the health and safety of the mobile worker, to ensure that the limits specified above are complied with in the case of each mobile worker employed by him.

Neil is away

I’m safe for a bit then :question: :wink: :laughing:

But seriously - the official wording is ok but I am going to try and give some “real” examples of POA… I hope :unamused:

The boss says that when to get to drop A you will be waiting for 2 hours - thats POA - you must be available to restart if it finishes early but other than that, you can do what you like. The company at drop A call you to tip after 1 hour - only 1 hour now counts as POA. The POA time that you actually waited does not count as driving or working time - most employers pay you for this time.
You get to drop B and the yard guy says you cannot get tipped for 1 hour - that 1 hour is also POA.
The POA mode on the tacho is the square box with the diagonal line in it and must be selected manually
The other work mode is the cross hammers and this is the mode that is selected by most drivers unless actually on POA or break.
Driving will automatically be recorded no matter which mode it is on.
Rest mode is the bed sign and this can be used when on POA (depends a lot if you get paid if on break) - it is illegal to use the bed mode when doing other work

I hope that simplifies things a bit and that I got it right - if not, Coffeeholic or Tachograph will probably shoot me with a machine gun :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

you need to get used to this straight away
i am from an era of leaving on rest
but my problem is with digi not rememering to use mode so i dont show work all day long which aint good

As already said use other work when working and the mode will automaticaly change to driving then back to other work when you stop.

Remember to change the mode to rest when on break and back to other work when you finish the break.

Unless you work over 60 hours in a week or average over 48 hours work per week you shouldn’t need to bother about POA for the time being, get used to using the tachograph and only use POA if needed.

If any part of the day is driving on public roads then any driving done that day is classed as driving time so forget about off-road driving for now.

Other Work

Break/Rest ![](http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/Tachograph/bedsym.gif) POA ![](http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd272/Tachograph/poasym.gif)

Hi, just like to say Thank’s to everyone for there help

Suggest also

If your doing mixed analog (Old style wax disk) Tacho & Digi Tacho Work

Attach your printout to a spare paper disk (one of the dirty ones will do)
and store it in sequence with your existing disks

That way, its much tidy’er and you wont loose them :slight_smile:

And Ive got two questions:

1. Do I have to return Digi Printouts to Employer (ie is it a requirement)

2. Who’s to likely to get prosecuted
    if they cant be bothered to download/copy the data from my digi card
    at the end of the shift / day / contract.

Regards Double Q
www.swansong-webradio.co.uk
Msn & Email: DoubleQ@Hotmail.co.uk

DoubleQ:
And Ive got two questions:

1. Do I have to return Digi Printouts to Employer (ie is it a requirement)

2. Who’s to likely to get prosecuted
    if they cant be bothered to download/copy the data from my digi card
    at the end of the shift / day / contract.

Regards Double Q
www.swansong-webradio.co.uk
Msn & Email: DoubleQ@Hotmail.co.uk

1. If there are any required manual entries made on the printouts then they should be treated the same as analogue tachograph charts and handed in, otherwise not unless there’s a company requirement where you work.

2. The company you work for have a legal responsibility to download the data from the card but you of course have a responsibility to make your card available.

yes: my card was made available (in fact offered)

They declined it (Glad its there a*s on heat, not mine)

Cheers “tachograph” dude

2xQ ( Agency Driver )

DoubleQ:
yes: my card was made available (in fact offered)

They declined it (Glad its there a*s on heat, not mine)

Cheers “tachograph” dude

2xQ ( Agency Driver )

I take it you’re an agency driver, if it was a client that refused to download the data from the driver card and assuming that you’re not expecting to be working there again soon it may be wise to cover your own ■■■ and inform the agency that you offered the card to the client and they refused to download the data from it, I don’t see how you could reasonably be expected to do any more :wink: