Tacho usage

I’ve got a few questions about tacho settings because I’m getting a bit confused.

I was under the impression that when your actively driving you leave it on other work so it records driving then other work when ever you stop. however when I was out with another driver the other day he said when I’m getting moving again after my break to just leave it on break. I thought this would be wrong because it would show breaks when ever I stop at traffic or at a drop.

Also when would I use POA? For example last Wednesday I stopped outside a drop and had to wait an hour and half to be allowed in. I left the tacho on other work while I rearranged some stuff in the back then sat in the cab for about 45 minutes. Should I have used POA? and if so would that have any effect on my driving times etc?

Some of the drivers have told me the same with digi units. They’ve said when I put it on break to just drive off when I’m finished without putting it back to other work

As soon as you move, the VU goes to other work and stays there until you move it back to break or POA.

It would record break while you were sat in traffic or at the lights, it would record other work, but there is a sanction about not setting mode switch correctly if you use an old tachograph. It is this reason why people think the new digital machines steal driving hours

On the very old Automatic Analogues, you could leave them on break all day, before that they even had a driving mode too.

last Wednesday, you could have put the tacho on POA or break after you had shifted the stuff around. It counts for nothing towards your working or driving time.