Tacho mode...

30 minute into shift and I get to a depot. Told I will be waiting minimum an hour to get loaded. Transport office wants me to set tacho to break… I think it should be other (not POA because wait time ain’t known) and they’re just trying to swindle me out of an hours wage (because [emoji1589] agency staff, right).

What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ve been told at least an hour so the wait is known. You will be at least an hour so POA it is in my book.

As Simcor has said you’ve been informed of waiting time so the mode is POA. It’s up to you at the end of the day, I have my reasons for using it or not depends where I am and where I have to get to, what I don’t have is a planner telling me what mode I should be selecting.

My question would be whether or not I’m going to lose an hours pay. If not then it goes on break as the client has requested. Why bother with POA at all?

You reckon they’re trying to swindle you out of an hours pay but when I was on agency I wouldn’t be working for any company that stopped me more than 45 minutes for break.

You should be getting paid for all breaks after the first 45 minutes in my opinion.

The real question isn’t what mode to put the tachograph on it’s why are you working for such misers, or is it that you haven’t checked what the company stop for breaks.

Anyway, as has been said legally you can use POA if that’s what you wan to do.

Poa for the hour then it goes back to other work unless they give you an update. The agency’s ive worked for have only stopped me 1 x 45 break.

On break, saves time, if need be you have another 4 1/2 hrs driving time. Thats if its their motive though. If its to dock your pay, find another agency /employer…

If they dock you breaks, leave it on other work, and take a break as required. Stuff poa.

Unless you are maxing your hours, you won’t go over any wtd or fortnightly hours, by not using that stoopid poa rollocks

Put it on moan mode

It looks like they want to stop you the hour your parked up…F that…put it on other work…as your still in charge of the vehicle…and F them…or you could ask the reason.

POA is paid. That’s the point of it. Otherwise you might as well just put on break.

Shandy123:
POA is paid. That’s the point of it. Otherwise you might as well just put on break.

Wrong I’m afraid. The point of POA was to get round the Working Time Directive and continue to flog drivers with 15 hour days…

TiredAndEmotional:

Shandy123:

Wrong I’m afraid. The point of POA was to get round the Working Time Directive and continue to flog drivers with 15 hour days…

Can you explain how? I was looking at it as a glass half-full, but perhaps I was being naive?
I mean, are you saying that if I turn up for a 6am start, expecting to do fifteen hours and have to sit around on poa for, say one hour (paid), I could potentially not clock off until 10pm, rather than 9?

Shandy123:

TiredAndEmotional:

Shandy123:

Can you explain how? I was looking at it as a glass half-full, but perhaps I was being naive?
I mean, are you saying that if I turn up for a 6am start, expecting to do fifteen hours and have to sit around on poa for, say one hour (paid), I could potentially not clock off until 10pm, rather than 9?

The fifteen hours you mention has nothing at all to do with the Working Time Directive. It arises because of the restrictions of the EU Drivers’ Hours rules. POA has no effect at at all on the requirement to take 11 (or 9) hours Rest within 24 hours of the start of your shift.

POA was invented simply to allow drivers to be “at work” (and thus being paid for their time) without actually being classed as “working” for WTD purposes (thus enabling time spent “at work” to far exceed WTD limits).

It’s a swizz if you ask me. POA was just a work around standby fudge that didn’t count towards the WTD accrual. Other work you don’t get knackered on, or a break that isn’t restful.

I’d stick it on whichever mode both correctly represented what you were doing and more importantly ensured you got paid for it.

Shandy123:

TiredAndEmotional:

Shandy123:

No, the absolute max is 15 hours. When the EU introduced the Working Time Directive it brought in a 48 hour working week, averaged over a reference period of either 17 weeks or 48 weeks. The bosses kicked up stink and subsequently managed to get POA introduced the effect of which was to continue to allow a 15 hour day, every day, potentially, by not classing POA as work. Even though you’re at work. Not at home servicing the missus or watching telly etc. I’ve never used POA and never will. Putting it on break does exactly the same thing and keeps your tacho straight which POA doesn’t.

What do you mean about ‘keeping your Tacho straight’?
I feel like I need a remedial cpc course in drivers hours!

Shandy123:

He means that there is far less likelihood of exceeding your driving times using break instead of POA. Using POA in layman terms can “fool” the tacho into thinking that you’ve taken a 45 minute break thus resetting your display to zero which in turn can fool you into thinking that you have another 4.5 hours driving available before requiring a break.

the maoster:

Shandy123:

He means that there is far less likelihood of exceeding your driving times using break instead of POA. Using POA in layman terms can “fool” the tacho into thinking that you’ve taken a 45 minute break thus resetting your display to zero which in turn can fool you into thinking that you have another 4.5 hours driving available before requiring a break.

Don’t use POA simples :sunglasses:

I never have done mate. I have heard from other driver though that they get stopped all breaks, so in that case I’d be booking the minimum break I could legally get away with and banging it onto POA at every available opportunity. Actually that’s not quite correct, if I worked for one of them companies I’d leave! :wink: