Tacho mode...

POA is the legal but corrupt way to pay a driver a day rate eg £100 for a 15hr shift which works out at £6.67ph £0.83 less than the minimum wage.
Remove a 45 min break and any POA during the shift eg 2hrs leaves a shift that equals 12hrs 15mins working time @ £8.16ph.

tachograph:
You reckon they’re trying to swindle you out of an hours pay but when I was on agency I wouldn’t be working for any company that stopped me more than 45 minutes for break.

You should be getting paid for all breaks after the first 45 minutes in my opinion.

The real question isn’t what mode to put the tachograph on it’s why are you working for such misers, or is it that you haven’t checked what the company stop for breaks.

Anyway, as has been said legally you can use POA if that’s what you wan to do.

The Royal Mail can stop you 90 minutes pay. But they do run each shift like a stage carriage (bus) service. Run to the nearest minute.

Grumpy Dad:
POA is the legal but corrupt way to pay a driver a day rate eg £100 for a 15hr shift which works out at £6.67ph £0.83 less than the minimum wage.
Remove a 45 min break and any POA during the shift eg 2hrs leaves a shift that equals 12hrs 15mins working time @ £8.16ph.

Aaah! So, if you’re salaried, then POA ■■■■■ ■■■, but if you’re hourly paid, its a good thing (assuming you are paid for POA)?

Shandy123:

Grumpy Dad:

Aaah! So, if you’re salaried, then POA ■■■■■ ■■■, but if you’re hourly paid, its a good thing (assuming you are paid for POA)?

Yes and some drivers can’t see that, if you go to work in any job you are being paid for your time ie the shift if you do 5 shifts of 3 x 15 & 2 x 13 that’s a total shift of 71 hours illegal under WTD ) but @ £100 a shift your hourly rate would be £7.05 and illegal as it’s under the NMW, remove your breaks eg 1 hour a day that gives you a 66 hour week @ £7.57 not illegal under the NMW but it is with WTD, so then if you say have 4 hours a day POA your weekly working hours become 46 your hourly rate is £10.86 and you are legal.

Shandy123:
What do you mean about ‘keeping your Tacho straight’?
I feel like I need a remedial cpc course in drivers hours!

Me too. It seems simple to understand when doing your theory, but in practice it all seems a bit on the complicated side. I guess that’s EU rules for you! I don’t suppose there’s any hope of getting them simolified.

I’m not running up against hours at any point and I think the only time I should routinely be using POA is a 15 - 20 minute tip and reload, that being said I’ve been leaving it on other work and they’ve not said anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_jamieb:

Shandy123:
What do you mean about ‘keeping your Tacho straight’?
I feel like I need a remedial cpc course in drivers hours!

Me too. It seems simple to understand when doing your theory, but in practice it all seems a bit on the complicated side. I guess that’s EU rules for you! I don’t suppose there’s any hope of getting them simolified.

I’m not running up against hours at any point and I think the only time I should routinely be using POA is a 15 - 20 minute tip and reload, that being said I’ve been leaving it on other work and they’ve not said anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely not! You would be breaking the law if you had the tacho mode set to anything other than other work under those circumstances. They should be happy with the tacho on other work because that keeps you and them legal! Forget POA, it just muddies the water and you clearly don’t understand how it can be used and will just create problems for yourself when it’s just not necessary. Unfortunately you’ll get different opinions on any subject you care to ask about on here but on this subject there is one man who can be relied upon completely for CORRECT advice regarding tachograph use and that’s…TACHOGRAPH! :wink: