Tacho

I’ve recently been doing some 7.5t driving because the Class2 work has dried up a little and one thing I’ve noticed is that despite me going say 68mph on cruise control for many miles at once, or 58mph on a dual-carriageway A road, why is it that my tacho never shows a speed of over 90k’s and not a dot above?

That’s sounds dodgey :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , i think that would get reported if it were mine, not that mine would do in excess of 90K’s anyway except down hill maybe :wink:

You have to check the E numbers on the charts match the tacho, otherwise the trace does not correspond with the needle.

There are many different types of tach chart, even the universal ones are not wholly universal

eddie snax:
That’s sounds dodgey :open_mouth: :open_mouth: , i think that would get reported if it were mine, not that mine would do in excess of 90K’s anyway except down hill maybe :wink:

My thoughts too, but its not only on one of them, on all three that I’ve driven and incedentally all are from a local hire company.

I remember one of my dads old trucks, a Eurotech, the limiter packed in and he could go any speed and the tacho only recorded 90ks on that too.

Yes, Malc beat me to it yet again. It’s either one of two things, either the wrong charts are being used or the tachograph is knackered. Both ways you and your transport company will both looking at a fine if the Ministry find out. Get it sorted or refuse to drive it.

I’m looking on my charts now and I can see all the different E numbers but I don’t have a clue what they mean.

Talking of incorrect readings, i remember ear wigging a couple of lads on the CB one night, this was when 60mph limiter came in, the conversation was basicly that they were doing Spalding-- Cardiff market and return on nights, they were driving the original Powerliner Merc’s and one wanted to know how to get round the limiter, what the other one had done was to disconnect the limiter, then heating a small pin he’d melted a hole in the face of the tacho at 60mph, then at night in goes the pin ,and your away fast as you like 60mph max on the card :wink: :unamused: :unamused: i’m not saying any more except he was happily broadcasting the facts to all on the 19, I know what firm it was cos’ as he flew past me and that is no exsageration, his CB output nearly threw my rig out of the dash,

What did happen to Fruitex :wink:

eddie snax:
Talking of incorrect readings, i remember ear wigging a couple of lads on the CB one night, this was when 60mph limiter came in, the conversation was basicly that they were doing Spalding-- Cardiff market and return on nights, they were driving the original Powerliner Merc’s and one wanted to know how to get round the limiter, what the other one had done was to disconnect the limiter, then heating a small pin he’d melted a hole in the face of the tacho at 60mph, then at night in goes the pin ,and your away fast as you like 60mph max on the card :wink: :unamused: :unamused: i’m not saying any more except he was happily broadcasting the facts to all on the 19, I know what firm it was cos’ as he flew past me and that is no exsageration, his CB output nearly threw my rig out of the dash,

What did happen to Fruitex :wink:

:laughing: PMSL Eddie.

Rob K:

What does PMSL stand for :question: been wondering for ages :wink:

eddie snax:

Rob K:

P…ing my self laughing.

robinhood_1984:

eddie snax:

Rob K:

P…ing my self laughing.

That’s even better than what i possibly thought it was, I’m PMSL over that :laughing:

Eddie, common ones used in chat rooms and on forums :

LOL = Lots of laughs/laugh out loud
ROFL = rolling on floor laughing
LMAO = laughing my arse off
W T F = what the [zb] (captial F)
PMSL = “Wetting” myself laughing

Greetings and farewell :

LTNS = long time, no see/speak
TTFN = ta ta for now
BRB = be right back
BBL = be back later
BFN = bye for now
TTYL = talk to you later

Interjections :

BTW = by the way
FWIW = for what it’s worth
IM( H )O = in my (humble) opinion
( J )FYI = (just) for your info
OTOH = on the other hand

:sunglasses:

the E number is found inside the tacho head just look at all the sticky labels

Is the E number the same as the K factor for the tacho calibration?

when you look at your disic on the back there will be a group of no,s
together now get your tachograph open and look at the back & side rims of the tachograph, there will be a small silver oblong with some no,s on it
these no,s must be also printed on the disics if you can not find corrisponding no,s then these disics are not to be used, WHY , Because
they are the wrong ones for your tachograph and you will when stopped and checked be taken tp court for falseifieing your records :
IF you have it look at the MAUFACTURS HAND BOOK onthe tachograph
which is fitted as these books will explain to you every thing that you require to know so that you should when following their instructions not make any mistakes, ENSURE that you have allways the right disics for your tachograph, due to modern methods you can get a multi-diis which will
be passed for use in more than one type of tachograph, it is your responsibility as driver to ensure that these disics are the correct type for use in the tachograph in your vehicle, YOU are the one who will be taken
before the judge if found useing the wrong disic,
E1 -this no willbe in a box, and at the side

this sort of 456
group of no,s 123

THE ABOVE MARKINGS ARE FOUND ON THE SIDE OF THE
TACHOGRAPH

NOW HERE IS A ROUGH DESCRIPTION OF HOW IT LOOKS ON THE
DISIC

E1 in a box again

133 456 789
759 753 120
471 125 441
258 254 874

THE BLOCK OF NO,sABOVE WILL BE FOUND UNDER THE e1 NO
MENTIONED ABOVE EVERY COUNTRY HAS ITS OWN E no SO BE WARNED YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE RIGHT DISIC FOR THE RIGHT
TACHOGRAPH

HOPE THAT THIS MAY HELP YOU :

The first part of the ‘e’ number refers to the country in which the equipment was type approved; eg, e1 is Germany, e11 if the UK. the second part of the number eg 57 or 73 (two popular ones) refers to the sequential number of type approval.
Putting this together, e1, 57 would be the 57th piece of equipment to have been type approved in Germany. Similarly e11, 14 would be the 14th piece of equipment to be type approved in the UK.
Manufacturers are required to put the approval number of their recording equipment on the 'Manufacturers Plaque, ’ which is required to be fitted inside the recording equipment. The plaque must also show the name and address of the manufacturer, the model number and the serial number of the instrument. The Vmin and Vmax values must also be shown, also known as the speed rating.
Don’t forget the speed rating of charts. If the instrument has a Vmax of 125 km/h then you must use 125 km/h charts. The worst motors for this were the early Merc Actros; they came fitted with 100 km/h tachos and finding charts for them at the time was difficult.
There is an offence of ‘using the wrong chart’ maximum fine £ 5000 although the offence of ‘false records’ would not normally be used in the UK.

I saw in the paper the other day that Es can be purchased for 50p each…is it not possible to stick a couple of these in the tacho head ? would it make the truck dance all night ? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

On a lighter note…i spoke to a driver a while ago who said that he never changes the mode on a tacho because its an automatic…and he uses automatic charts…i also spoke to a driver who said he had been reported for failing to change the mode switch…on an automatic tacho…now in my opinion…if you do not change the mode switch it will record your movements anyway…so is Vosa just being awkward.

NO. they are not ,.you have to move the mode switch from driveing to any of the other positions ,WHY, because we are not yet that far advanced
that the TACHOGRAPH can read your mind,and also see,what you are doing,so until we become that far advanced you will have to adjust the ““MODE”” switch your self when going from driveing to work,rest, etc,
and YES it is an offence not to use the switch to record your actions when
operating a vehicle with a Tachograph,and you are useing it to compliy a record of your actions with this vehicle,

truckyboy:
On a lighter note…i spoke to a driver a while ago who said that he never changes the mode on a tacho because its an automatic…and he uses automatic charts…i also spoke to a driver who said he had been reported for failing to change the mode switch…on an automatic tacho…now in my opinion…if you do not change the mode switch it will record your movements anyway…so is Vosa just being awkward.

I’m not an expert on any of this, far from it but I know a few drivers who like many others leave their setting on rest all of the time and have done so for many years and when checked have had no action taken against them, Vosa or whoever checks them doesn’t like it but as the tacho showed adequate rest etc and due to the impossibility or difficulty of proving otherwise, have always done nothing about it. Thats only my own experiences with the matter though.

Ok back to the tacho issue.

On the back of the tacho’s I’m given by the company I’m doing the 7.5 work for, on the right it says e1 and has lots of numbers below and on the left the top line says e3 125km/h, underneath that it says e11 and e20 and below that again it says e2 and e11. Which of these numbers am I supposed to be looking at with relation to the inside of my tacho? The e3 at the top left or the e1 at the top right?

robin hood1984.have a look at the post i have made as to how to check
on which disic is the right one, also have a look as said at the manufacturs book ,if it is still there if not get your firm to order one as the knowledge gained will save you and your employer from maybe haveing to pay a fine to learn what is correct or not,

check your disic against the tachograph if you cannot find any no,s that are the same onboth items your disics are the wrong one.

you tachograph and the disics must both have same speed written ==125KMH-
THE no,s ie E NO;,s inthe small box onthe side of the tachograph must also be on any disic that you use, again take a look at the post i,ve made, mate,