Tacho Questions and Answers

The following posts were asked on another site I use for motorcycles!

I have removed the names to protect the innocent :stuck_out_tongue:

Question.

Hi all, I know it’s not sv related but I’m applying for a job driving a 7.5 ton wagon for TNT and haven’t used a tacho before. What’s the crack with these, how do they work etc., etc., are there any web sites where I can get more info on driving larger vehicles, do’s and don’ts etc. Just want to prepare myself before the interview.

1st reply

watcha buddy …i do a bit of 7.5 tonne tacho riding as well …all information is available from the FTA get yourself a copy of the drivers handbook it explains all the signs and what they mean…basically a tacho records your speed and how many hours you have driving for…and how many times you have stopped…best way to work it is, when you turn the vehicle on the tacho starts recording …as long as the engine is running…if you switch the vehicle of it will record a break…SO!! keep the engine running so that your 8 hour driving day finishes quicker…if you keep stopping the engine your allocated driving time will last longer…make sense…good luck

2nd reply

I know that the use of a tacho is compulsary but I think TNT have a dispensation regarding breaks because of the constant stop start in the rounds
This will only apply where a round is local
If the round is more than 25mls from base this will not apply

My suggestion would be that you know the basic law regarding tachos but would like the company’s policy explained to you

i.e. I have a haulage business and found that drivers were recording unloading time as break time This is 100% illegal Therefore my company policy is you take a 45min break after 4hrs but before 4hrs30min and if you are doing an 11hr duty you must tahe a second break after the ensueing 4hrs 30mins duty. The minimum break the ministry recognises is 15mins but the make up of break time is variable

A 15hr day is only legal when you have an uniterupted break of 4hrs
some employers will try this one on but that is the law

We take drivers out with a regular driver for 3days to show him how we want the job done and the TNT DRIVERS THAT COME INTO OUR DEPOT OFTEN HAVE A TRAINEE this may vary depot to depot If you want to phone give me a p.m. and I 'll give you my phone number and answer any questions you may have

Plods Reply to 2nd reply
what a nice chap you are.

complying with these hours are difficult sometimes and i have seen all sorts excuses and scams, i just hate having to read the discs, although i get to leave a nice autograph on the disc.

Reply to plod.

Thanks, I can, with hand on heart,say that if you can,t do the job legally you shouldn’t be doing it at all Thats my policy O.K.we might make driving errors but hours,overweight and maintenance are inexcusable in my book

Of course I have sent the URL of TruckNet to help my bewildered 2 wheel friends :smiley:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: … i must remember to leave my engine running therefore shortening my 15 hour day into a 10. i like it! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
and whats this about a 15 hr spread only being legal if you have an uninterrupted 4 hour break? from a haulage boss too! :laughing:

It just proves that there is more than one site that talks crap at times :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I answered the post with a few very simple rules, but advised him to visit us here, for the gen :stuck_out_tongue:

fair enough i suppose malc, i wouldnt know the compression ratio for a z650! or the cylinder firing order on a cx500. :laughing: :laughing:
i WOULD like a big ducati though :laughing: :laughing:

JB:
fair enough i suppose malc, i wouldnt know the compression ratio for a z650! or the cylinder firing order on a cx500. :laughing: :laughing:

I’ve been trying to find the cylinder firing order for a honda 90 if anyone can help.

BUT.

I have a haulage business

A 15hr day is only legal when you have an uniterupted break of 4hrs
some employers will try this one on but that is the law

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Who the zb has the CPC, not him I hope.

daxi:
I’ve been trying to find the cylinder firing order for a honda 90 if anyone can help.

IIRC it would be the same as my old Honda 50 and that was 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 with the old 4 stroke engine. :laughing: :laughing:

If it is 2 stroke, of course it would have to be 1 - 1 :laughing: :laughing:

PMSL

I am still looking for the Header tank on a Yamaha XV535 Virago, It must be getting low on water by now!?!?

smcaul:
I am still looking for the Header tank on a Yamaha XV535 Virago, It must be getting low on water by now!?!?

Have you tried looking just to the right of the windscreen washer bottle ?. It’s where it is on my Velocette LE.
Anyone got a spare red susie for a Vellocette ?.

daxi:

smcaul:

Have you tried looking just to the right of the windscreen washer bottle ?. It’s where it is on my Velocette LE.
Anyone got a spare red susie for a Vellocette ?.

Is that under the bonnet or in the passenger footwell??
:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

daxi:

Is that the Velocette with the hand gearchange and hand start■■?

I guess I could really confuse matters by asking which fuse controls the leccy windows on my B M, or which switch controls the cruise control thingy?
But what I find deeply worrying is that there is so much BS out there. The best one I heard recently was that drivers of bread delivery vehicles were exempt the mid shift break requirements on the day after a bank holiday. Perhaps it is a good thing that people don’t know what the penalties are, but how do we get the message across?

gardun:
IIRC it would be the same as my old Honda 50 and that was 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 with the old 4 stroke engine. :laughing: :laughing:

If it is 2 stroke, of course it would have to be 1 - 1 :laughing: :laughing:

PMSL

I thought it was 1-1-1-1 whhiiiiiiinnneee :laughing: Bang :open_mouth:

JB:

showing your age now jon, you may find a good z650 knocking around a classic bike show but the cx500’s were all hammered the [zb] out of by motorcycle couriers all over the country.

the old bikes were good but the new 600’s that are on the market will knock the spots off most of the old 750’s and even 1000cc models.

As you well know, if you have to put stars in, then it’s not allowed. L. :unamused:

The outcome of this post has been resolved because 7.5 tonners do not use ferries or go abroad :confused: :open_mouth:

I think I will suggest he sticks to 2 wheels :stuck_out_tongue:

Dratsabasti:
Is that the Velocette with the hand gearchange and hand start■■?

some where.
Mines an ex police bike of 1959 vintage. I have everything but the bells & radio to return it to its former glory.
It has done 7,000 mies & I am it’s 3rd owner.
Mine is in this sort of condition, but has not been restored, it is still as it came out of the factory, even down to the cork in the fuel tap.
vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Dir … police.htm

JB:
or the cylinder firing order on a cx500. :laughing: :laughing:
:

not much of an order in a big single now eh :wink: :smiley:

el gordo 78:

JB:
or the cylinder firing order on a cx500. :laughing: :laughing:
:

not much of an order in a big single now eh :wink: :smiley:

K■■?

The CX 500 is / was the Honda version of a touring Guzzi. An across the frame V twin, water cooled :laughing: . So the firing order would be 1 - 2 - 1 - 2 , or possibly 2 - 1 - 2 - 1 :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: