Tacho Question/s from a newbie

Hey guys, can someone clarify a couple of things for me;

Is it “driving” for 4.5 hours before you must take a 45min break or is it the time you start work? (Ie other work before you actually drive?)

Also when I was on rest the other day , I pulled over put the Tacho on rest then turned engine off, noticed the taco dies after a bit, does it still record you on rest so when you turn engine on it still logs it or do you have to do a manual entry?

Cheers

Fireman Sam:
Hey guys, can someone clarify a couple of things for me;

Is it “driving” for 4.5 hours before you must take a 45min break or is it the time you start work? (Ie other work before you actually drive?)

You must not do more than 4½ hours driving before having a 45 minute break.

The 45 minute break can be split into two parts, the fist part must be at-least 15 minutes and the second part must be at-least 30 minutes and they must be taken in that order.

No offence intended but if you’re unsure about driving breaks you should study the regulations before you get yourself into what could be costly trouble :wink:

VOSAs Guide to the Drivers Hours and Tachograph Rules

Fireman Sam:
Also when I was on rest the other day , I pulled over put the Tacho on rest then turned engine off, noticed the taco dies after a bit, does it still record you on rest so when you turn engine on it still logs it or do you have to do a manual entry?

Cheers

By rest I assume you mean break, sorry to be pedantic but they are two different things.

When you turn off the ignition make sure the tachograph is still on break, some vehicles default to break/rest when the ignition is switched off, some vehicles default to other work when the ignition is switched off.

After a minute or two you will not be able to read the tachograph display but it’s still recording, no need to do a manual entry.

Actually the only time you can do a manual entry is when you insert the driver card.

Many thanks for the clarification