Tacho needed?

Hiring a 7.5 tonner at the weeked to help a mate move house, am i right in remembering i dont need a tacho within a certain distance from the base for private use?

Anyone clarify

No tacho needed for private use in truck under 7.5 and any distance - no limit

ROG:

Does that also apply if you spent the previous 6 days driving an LGV?

ROG:

Santa:
Does that also apply if you spent the previous 6 days driving an LGV?

YES as the private 7.5 is OUT OF SCOPE in regard to 561/2006

i would use a tacho just for reference
if you have an accident it couldbe useful

Chances are it’ll have a digi tacho and my card is playing up so waiting on a new one

nickyboy:
Chances are it’ll have a digi tacho and my card is playing up so waiting on a new one

do a print out be4 and after of the last 24 hours of the truck and u should have a code from the DVLA keep a copy of the code with you for if VOSA stop you or have any problems then after your done you can bin them
(i think)

do you have to have an oprators license to hire a 7.5 tonner?

BIGGEE:
do you have to have an oprators license to hire a 7.5 tonner?

Depends whether you are hiring it for personal use or not. Anytime I’ve hired one
it’s been for personal use and I had to sign a form to confirm that.

If you use a tacho “just for reference” and get pulled whilst the chart is in, will you be breaching drivers hours etc?
If you do use one is it required to be kept etc even if it wasn’t legally necessary?
If you don’t need one, don’t put one in.
I will be doing similar in January and as I am now unemployed can’t see how I could use a tacho/digi as I have no one to hand it in to or download to.

PS driving job required for a 7.5 tonner doing self removals on a permanent basis. :unamused:

del949:
If you use a tacho “just for reference” and get pulled whilst the chart is in, will you be breaching drivers hours etc?
If you do use one is it required to be kept etc even if it wasn’t legally necessary?
If you don’t need one, don’t put one in.
I will be doing similar in January and as I am now unemployed can’t see how I could use a tacho/digi as I have no one to hand it in to or download to.

PS driving job required for a 7.5 tonner doing self removals on a permanent basis. :unamused:

If tachocard used (because you wanted to) on private 7.5 it has no legalality
No digicard needed for a private 7.5 fitted with a digi

I bow to your knowledge Rog
Just thought that if you used a chart you had to keep it, regardless of needing to use it or not.
And if VOSA stopped you with a chart in , on your day off, you may be in contravention of hours regs, regardless of claiming “private use”.
Simpler by far not to use one at all.

del949:
And if VOSA stopped you with a chart in , on your day off, you may be in contravention of hours regs, regardless of claiming “private use”.

If you can prove it’s private use and therefore exempt how can you be contravening the rules when they’re not applicable.

Cheers guys, i was sure i didnt need one but i remembered our mechanics saying the distance from base rule but i guess private use has no base as such

nickyboy:
Cheers guys, i was sure i didnt need one but i remembered our mechanics saying the distance from base rule but i guess private use has no base as such

Quite right Nick . as some guys have said might be usefull to do a print out before you start and when you finish just for your own record and on the start print out (which dose not require a digi card in write on it for private use … i would do the same if it was an anolog taco for the defence incase of an accident as the anie has your speed trace at hand if theres ever any problems…at the end of the day you can just bin them

If you can prove it’s private use and therefore exempt how can you be contravening the rules when they’re not applicable

I don’t claim that you would, only asking if you MAY be.
I just had the feeling that if you chose to use a chart that you may be accepting the rules etc, not a problem for most people but for a driver using rules all week then thought that it may become inclusive of private use.
However I am more than happy with the other opinions.