Renting a truck on day off

So I want to ask before promising something I then can’t deliver.

Family moving house, rather than getting removal company looking at renting a 7.5t or 18 tonner and do it all ourselves with me driving as I’d be the only one allowed to. How does it work with tachos for this?

You will struggle to hire an 18 tonner without an O licence. I would hire a 7.5 tonne and not even mention digicards or tachograph, if you get stopped the next day tell them you were not working

Last time I checked this, moving personal effects in a 7.5 tonner was exempt tacho/EU hours laws and O licence.

I doubt you will ever hire an 18 tonner(for private use) and from what I know a lot of companies have now stopped renting 7.5 ton vans as there was too much damage being done.
A lot depends where you live really and I would think and it could be costly if possible.

I rented a 7.5t box with a tail lift for this purpose. Helping a friend move house. So long as it isn’t for hire or reward and under 7.5t you don’t need your tacho in.

The hire company will probably insist you make the payment yourself, as it’s you that is being insured and responsible for the truck.

I believe if you’re over 7.5t it’s considered a goods vehicle. And tacho would be needed.

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Renting anything 7.5 Ton or over as a private individual now is almost impossible without an o licence.

As for costly?

£110 for 24 hrs hire… very reasonable compared to removal companies rates.

Ah ok. I had no clue how it worked. I thought possibly the company would hold some sort of O licence and hire the vehicles out that way. I’ll look at 7.5 for them then.

Thanks

You don’t need a o licence for private use no matter what the gross weight, but as said you’ll struggle to get someone to hire you one without, would work do it for you?

Anything over 7.5t gross unless over 25 years old for personal use is in scope of the EU regs, so treat it just like being at work.

Upto 7.5t for personal use is out of scope of the EU regs and GB domestic regs, so don’t put your card in and just treat it like a van

Chillidoritos:
As for costly?

As a matter of interest what area or city are you talking about?

if your working for a smaller co with a boss that has a face,bung him the hire in cash,pay for the fuel on his card and reimbrse him in cash so its a win win for the both of you.
do a manual ( i forgot my card coming to work ) on the day before your hiring it.
then bung in your card for the hire day if your travelling a distance.or if it buggers up your weekend off.
once your back,bin the manual.job done.
thats the way ive done it as have others where ive worked before.

Honestly, get a removals company to do it. Watch them working their nuts off and offer to make them an occasional cup of tea. Do a Saturday morning or two of overtime at work to pay for it.

Tacho does not need to be used on 7.5 tonner for personal use. I hired one myself when I moved last year. Cost £110 for the hire + £100 in diesel as opposed to £1500 for removals company. It was one day of bloody hard work, but the £1290 saving was well worth it.

Harry Monk:
Honestly, get a removals company to do it. Watch them working their nuts off and offer to make them an occasional cup of tea. Do a Saturday morning or two of overtime at work to pay for it.

This

jakethesnake:

Chillidoritos:
As for costly?

As a matter of interest what area or city are you talking about?

The hire was from Ockendon. From a firm called S&J. It covers a set mileage then you pay for anything over that. Obviously replace their fuel or ■■■■ in the tank when you’re done!

Harry Monk:

^^^^this

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

truckertang:

Harry Monk:

^^^^this

Anyone willing to pay someone else to do such an easy job must be shy of “hard” work. Also don’t value their own time very highly. They’d rather spend their time earning their bosses money

Should consider anything you save isn’t taxed and deducted NI. Obviously you can’t be paid for it, but they might put some extra in your kids Christmas cards this year?

truckertang:

Harry Monk:

^^^^this

I tend to agree having worked with my mate who does removals and also trying to move stuff myself. These guys know what they are doing and will do the job far quicker far more efficiently and probably with less damage but on the other hand if it’s all about saving money etc…go ahead. :wink:

Chillidoritos:

truckertang:

Harry Monk:

^^^^this

Anyone willing to pay someone else to do such an easy job must be shy of “hard” work. Also don’t value their own time very highly. They’d rather spend their time earning their bosses money

Should consider anything you save isn’t taxed and deducted NI. Obviously you can’t be paid for it, but they might put some extra in your kids Christmas cards this year?

I would not say the job is easy.It requires skill and takes time to learn and certainly can’t be done by a novice to the same standard.

[/quote]
I would not say the job is easy.It requires skill and takes time to learn and certainly can’t be done by a novice to the same standard.
[/quote]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
try moving a good big leather 3 piece suite into one of the normal matchbox houses nowadays without wrecking something and see how much of a ball buster it is.
if your only doing a flitting round the corner then its different from the cost of one 100 miles away.
i did one for my mate from n.i to brighton and return and the quotes were around £3000.
we did it including diesel,2 ferries,a bung for the loan of the truck and a few quid for us round about £1000 and job done easily enough.