7.5t hire question?

If i hire a 7.5 t truck for my own personal use do i have to put a tacho in it ■■
Been told by the hire company that as long has im not using it for hire or reward i dont have to use a tacho,is this true■■?
Also,i thought you had to have a ‘O’ licence to hire a 7.5 truck ?

Any thoughts,tks. :smiley:

TTX boy:
If i hire a 7.5 t truck for my own personal use do i have to put a tacho in it ■■
Been told by the hire company that as long has im not using it for hire or reward i dont have to use a tacho,is this true■■?
Also,i thought you had to have a ‘O’ licence to hire a 7.5 truck ?

Any thoughts,tks. :smiley:

You don’t need a tacho, or an o licence but some companies may want to get you to sign a disclaim form to say that it is for your own use. Although if I was running abroad in a hire truck I would probably put a card in for peace and mind

I hired one to move some of my stuff to France, and was told the same that I didn’t need one. But I did as Wheel Nut said I used on when over the water, as soon as I was on the ferry coming back I took it out.

TTX - i work for one of the largest hire companies in the UK - and as the previous replies state - if you are hiring a 7.5t truck for private use (as an individual & not as a company) - then you do not need either an O licence or use a tacho…

Part of our rental agreements that we would get you to sign does have a disclaimer to such effect - holding you liable should you get stopped etc etc etc…

All rental companies may have slightly different policies though - but - legally(with us) - that is how you stand.

Mark

Tks guys for your replies.
No tacho it is then. :smiley: