Tacho + 3.5 tonnes van

Could any one help.
We have a small company in Hull and are trying to expand.
We have a 3.5tonnes Luton Van and want to invest in a trailer.
Problem is I know I have to use a tacho when I am pulling a trailer but if I am not pulling a trailer do I have to still work to Tacho hours because I have a Tacho fitted ■■?
Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

message edited, you have a PM. Coffeeholic

I presume you are doing just UK work>>>>>>

If you are doing International work ignore the domestic rules and use EU Rules

If your company uses a vehicle to tow a trailer then you must keep a record of any company vehicle you drive for the next 7 days

Whilst towing you must use the tacho to record your hours

When you stop towing you must still record your hours, this can be acheived in several ways:

If you are driving the same vehicle without a trailer, use the tacho and select other work

If you are in a different vehicle mark the tacho on the back

You can also use a domestic log book on days you dont use the trailer, (but it is easier to use a tacho every day)

The basics in simple lads terms. Im from near Hull too :stuck_out_tongue:

If you are towing a trailer you must record on tacho as work (driving)

If you are not driving with a trailer the tacho can be set to duty (other work)

These are the domestic driving limits?

Daily driving
A driver must not drive for more than 10 hours in a day.

The daily driving limit applies to time spent at the wheel, actually driving. Off-road driving for the purpose of agriculture, quarrying, forestry, building work or civil engineering counts as duty rather than driving time.

Daily duty limit
A driver must not be on duty for more than 11 hours on any working day. A driver is exempt from the daily duty limit on any working day when he does not drive.

A driver who does not drive for more than 4 hours on each day of the weeks is exempt from the daily duty limit.

so whats the way around it,buy the load off the customer for a quid then sell back to them at destination■■?

If you run at max weight there’s no way round it.
But if you need it for volume down plate the luton to 2 t and plate the trailer to 1.5 t.
Any more weight for hire or reward will be subject to driver licensing after 1998 you will need an hgv license.