Help needed transit driver

I do have my class 2 not used it for a while now but the new transits we have are fitted with tacho’s now the boss says only use them when towing, but i thought if a vehicle is fitted with a tacho you have to use it no matter what.
Even if its a transit? :blush:

It’s because the trailer takes it over 3.5 tonnes. Vehicles under 3.5 tonnes don’t need tacho’s, which in your case is your Transit without a trailer.

Removed

So if its below 3.5t then it doesnt ‘have’ to have a tacho fitted.

But if it is fitted you have to use it?

Sorry I disagree, A transit on its own doesnt require a tachograph, unless it is pulling a trailer and weighs avove 3500kg.

This is the rule that catches a lot of garages and recovery people out. A Land Rover or Jeep towing a trailer with a car on it. that weighs avove this 3.5tonne then comes under EC rules
The tacho only needs to be used when towing the trailer, but as it is a van, transit type domestic hours rules do apply, which are 10 hours in 11 hours work.someone will appear with the proper law but these are from the condensed RHA handbook

Wheel Nut:
The tacho only needs to be used when towing the trailer, but as it is a van, transit type domestic hours rules do apply, which are 10 hours in 11 hours work.

Are you sure? Surely if you need a tacho then EU laws take effect?

From the FTA with regard to light vehicles towing trailers;

If the total of the maximum permissible weights exceed 3.5 tonnes then the combination WOULD be within the scope of the rules - even though the towing vehicle when driven SOLO would NOT be.

mrpj:

Wheel Nut:
The tacho only needs to be used when towing the trailer, but as it is a van, transit type domestic hours rules do apply, which are 10 hours in 11 hours work.

EU rules only take effect when you are pulling the trailer. otherwise you will use domestic rules. Its known as mixed driving.

The critical thing here is the 3500kg

Wheel Nut:

mrpj:

Wheel Nut:

EU rules only take effect when you are pulling the trailer. otherwise you will use domestic rules. Its known as mixed driving.

The critical thing here is the 3500kg

Yes, sorry I misread your original post :blush:

What I dont really get though, is who is controlling domestic hours. how many drivers do 15 or 16 hours in a van, some of those hotshot motors are driven for 20 hours with a small break in a layby.

If a copper stops you, do you tell him you have driven for 6 or 16 hours? :stuck_out_tongue:

mind you a sprinter van driving for 10 hours will be able to cover 1100 miles judging by the speed of them round here :smiley:

dennisw1:
So if its below 3.5t then it doesnt ‘have’ to have a tacho fitted.

But if it is fitted you have to use it?

No, goods vehicles under 3.5 t are exempt of tachograph regulations regardless of whether it’s fitted or not, these vehicles, as Wheel Nut said, fall into the domestic hours rules.

Wheelnut your right about those sprinters. I was going down the A38 at slightly ilegal speeds last year on my motorbike and one of the things overtook me. I was slightly miffed. :open_mouth:

knight:
Wheelnut your right about those sprinters. I was going down the A38 at slightly ilegal speeds last year on my motorbike and one of the things overtook me. I was slightly miffed. :open_mouth:

Exactly what I meant. I went to Demonic Freaks in Wrexham one Saturday Morning, making good progress :stuck_out_tongue: and I could not get away from one of them. I was sticking to limits through villages though and he would pass me, I then caught him up and he took some passing :open_mouth:

On the subject of Transits with tachos;

where the permitted gross weight of a vehicle (including any trailer drawn) exceeds 3 500 kg then a tachograph recording instrument is required to be fitted and used. There are a couple of points;

1. it’s the permitted weight, not the actual weight at the time.
  2. you add the gross weights of the vehicle and trailer together, eg. 3 500 kg for the Transit and 750 kg for a single axle unbraked trailer or 3 500 kg in the case of a 2 axle trailer with overrun brakes. If the result is greater than 3 500 kg then you’re in tacho territory. Don’t use the Train weight for this calculation (usually 5 600 kg in the case of a Transit).

Whilst you are not required to use the tacho when there is not a trailer attached. If you put a trailer on during a day you need to keep a record for the whole day. Assuming you start work at 08:00 and do a few deliveries with the van only. Then have lunch from 12:00 until 13:00. Then have deliveries with the trailer from 13:00 until 17:00, when you finish work;
you could keep a manual record of your mornings’ work on the reverse od the chart, remember that driving is classified as ‘other work’ (crossed hammers) as it is non EC driving. You can show lunchtime under the rest symbol (bed). You then put the chart in the recording instrument and use the mode switches as required during the afternoon work period.
Of course you could use the tacho all day but you need to make a note on the chart that the morning driving period (in the example above) is ‘out of scope’ and doesn’t count to your 4.5 hrs driving limit before taking a mid shift break…

Be careful with tachos used in light goods vehicles. Many have a speed rating of 180 km/h, make sure you have the correct charts. The other thing is that there are a lot of Sprinters (not sure about Transits) out there with a permitted maximum weight of 4 600 kg, they require tacho the whole time, unless otherwise exempt.

As far as Domestic Hours are concerned, vehicle exempt from O-Licence are not required to keep drivers records when used under Domestic Hours. Whilst it makes enforcement difficult, there is nothing to stop the nice man from the VOSA looking through clock cards, wage sheets, fuel receipts etc to determine if offences have been committed.

knight:

Did you see the german bird on top gear a few weeks ago? She was lapping the nurburgring in a transit van… and overtaking fireblades etc etc :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:
Mercedes have also just bought out a sprinter with a 2.8 v6 :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

geebee45:
The other thing is that there are a lot of Sprinters (not sure about Transits) out there with a permitted maximum weight of 4 600 kg, they require tacho the whole time, unless otherwise exempt.

Another example being the Renault Mascott, a Transit style van where most of the range is between 4.5 and 6.5 tonnes with the exception of two models which are 3.5 tonnes.

geebee45:
The other thing is that there are a lot of Sprinters (not sure about Transits) out there with a permitted maximum weight of 4 600 kg, they require tacho the whole time, unless otherwise exempt.

The Transhite only goes up to 3.5 tons. The Sprinter and LT can go up to 4.6, you can as a rule of thumb tell the ‘heavy’ sprinter/LT’s by the fact they have twin rear wheels. Same with Iveco Dailies i think.

The DHL sprinters are limited to 78, the bigger engined ones do well over a ton, from what i’ve seen. TBH though, they’re not stable at 70 let alone at over a ton, usual Sloppy Merc suspension, like all their cars. When they’re empty a bee ■■■■■■■ is enough to knock them off course.

JB:

knight:

Did you see the german bird on top gear a few weeks ago? She was lapping the nurburgring in a transit van… and overtaking fireblades etc etc :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:
Mercedes have also just bought out a sprinter with a 2.8 v6 :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

That German Bird Sabine is something else, she could be working for Top Gear soon till Jezzas back is better :stuck_out_tongue:

Ford built a mad Transit at Boreham a few years ago to support the WRC

Stick a card in anyway and then you have covered yourself!

dennisw1:
The Transhite only goes up to 3.5 tons. The Sprinter and LT can go up to 4.6, you can as a rule of thumb tell the ‘heavy’ sprinter/LT’s by the fact they have twin rear wheels. Same with Iveco Dailies i think.

Ivecos go up to 6.5 tonnes. They look like 3.5 tonners that have been taking steroids! :laughing:

PMAC, Glad you’ve found some work.

My firm were after a Class 2 driver in Yarmouth (if you still want that kind of work) a few weeks back (was in the Evening News), I can give you their number if you like.