Suggestions for a secondhand truck

Well, I think I will probably apply for an O licence if my CPC result comes through favourably and I’m considering what tractor unit to buy.

It’s got to be a 6x2, with a Euro 4 engine. I’m thinking an 07 or 57 reg.

I’m currently leaning towards a Renault Premium, as they have a Volvo driveline, which I know to be reliable, and they are light, and good on fuel. Plus, because they don’t have the “pose factor”, they are comparatively inexpensive compared to a Volvo/Scania etc.

Any comments on this as a choice of vehicle? Are there any drawbacks to operating one? Do they have any known vices?

etc etc etc

i drive a remium every day and i have to say its a delight to drive .
both my bosses are old school ■■■■■■■ men but over the last few months have moved over to premium and they are very happy with what they got , as you say good on fuel and reliable . upto now the only problam we’ve had is a leaky sump on my one but its been put down to build fault and replaced at the dealers with no further problem .

i cant think of any other things that have need attention but the oldest ones are 11reg so who knows what they will be like 2 years down the line . usually newer motors are in and out the dealers with silly niggles but these hav’nt .

Good no nonsense truck.

We had an old shape premium used for local work which has just been replaced. Boss reckoned a new shape premium and FH globey was virtually identical in price. Ended up getting a 2007 XL globetrotter 480 for £21,250, plain white with 650,000 kms. The premiums he saw were all over £20,000 for same year.

That said, weight or fuel is not really an issue over here so as you say those factors will possibly swing it for the premium in your case.

My only concern with the premium would be the resale value when it comes to retirement or replacement. It’s easier to sell an 8 year old Volvo than it is an 8 year old Premium and the Volvo will be worth a few grand more at that age.

maurice:
We had an old shape premium used for local work which has just been replaced. Boss reckoned a new shape premium and FH globey was virtually identical in price. Ended up getting a 2007 XL globetrotter 480 for £21,250, plain white with 650,000 kms. The premiums he saw were all over £20,000 for same year.

That said, weight or fuel is not really an issue over here so as you say those factors will possibly swing it for the premium in your case.

My only concern with the premium would be the resale value when it comes to retirement or replacement. It’s easier to sell an 8 year old Volvo than it is an 8 year old Premium and the Volvo will be worth a few grand more at that age.

Strange you say that, I was looking for a truck at the start of the year, my boss wants Globetrotter XL’s but the budget he gave me meant all I could get was FH’s 2005 or older with pretty high mileage, but I could get 2007 Premiums with what I thought was reasonable mileage for the same money. In the end I managed to get another £10,000 (blood out of a stone springs to mind :laughing: )out of him for a 2007 FH.

I’m still keeping an eye on prices as depending how things go we might need another one next year and as I’m looking for 4x2’s it’s worth keeping an eye on things.

Harry Monk:
Well, I think I will probably apply for an O licence if my CPC result comes through favourably and I’m considering what tractor unit to buy.

I’m currently leaning towards a Renault Premium, as they have a Volvo driveline, which I know to be reliable, and they are light, and good on fuel. Plus, because they don’t have the “pose factor”, they are comparatively inexpensive compared to a Volvo/Scania etc.

Any comments on this as a choice of vehicle? Are there any drawbacks to operating one? Do they have any known vices?

etc etc etc

I’m a big fan of the renault premiums 07> with the isift equivelent and 450 and 460 dxi’s, the price of the new units being equivent to Volvo’s etc underlines how good the truck is. However in the market you’re looking at, residual value’s will be a fair bit lower than the equivelent Scania or Volvo say 3-5 years down the line, the cab interior’s are not as durable and they are a fair bit more cramped.

Also, i’d probably work under an experienced transport manager (15/20 years + experience) initially for the first few months to get things running smooth and any niggles ironed out, it’ll be worth it in the long-run til you get settled.

walkermovements.co.uk/spec_s … nitID=6243

looks tidy and mileage is low enough…

Think I’d just see if I could bid something like this down to less than £10,000 and then just pay the LEZ daily charge for those jobs that need to go there and just put half the cost of that on the rate.

trucks.autotrader.co.uk/used-tru … daf-xf-430

Carryfast:
Think I’d just see if I could bid something like this down to less than £10,000 and then just pay the LEZ daily charge for those jobs that need to go there and just put half the cost of that on the rate.

LEZ is £200 a day, and I would expect to have to go into London at least once a week.

The Renault at Walker Movements looks OK, but the MOT is very short and also I believe Walker don’t give any driveline warranty.

if your going towards renault have a magnum, same volvo drive line, good reliable motor with luxury of drivers step not vibrating on tickover all the time, not having to get out of drivers seat by climbing all over the centre hump or if your big ish or a bit stiff out drivers door back in passengers side, dont get me wrong premium is a good motor but why struggle and what looks better with your name on it, two threads to look at in photo pics magnum pics and premium pics. i drove a 54 55 58 and the last one a 59 on page 6 lovely things. good all rounder been all over europe in hot of spain and italy and cold of norway and sweeden never broken down. good luck

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:

LEZ is £200 a day, and I would expect to have to go into London at least once a week.

Going into that place once a week would be more than enough for me Harry. :wink: :laughing:

But check out the maths on a basis of only going there on an occasional basis,in which the customer is paying at least £100 of that charge anyway,and taking into account the depreciation of a £20,000 + truck v one costing less than £10,000 which you just run into the ground for as long as the thing can survive and then throw it on the scrap heap instead of having to finance the cost of a more expensive wagon with more to go wrong with all the emmissions zb on it.

In addition to that the extra money which the cheaper wagon allows to be kept in reserve in the bank might mean the difference between going under,when times get tough,or survival. :bulb:

Also invest the few hundred quid required for a new style tacho, it’ll soon pay for itself if you’re doing multi-drop or a work in Greater London area’s etc.

Harry Monk:

etc etc etc

What have Renault made that has ever been any good :laughing:? Why Euro 4? how long will euro 4 be compliant? Im looking for my first truck but having read a fair bit on the subject, i will buy a euro 5 merc or volvo. What will the Renault be worth when you out it? Remember the purchase price is immaterial, you will always be better buying a quality product as the market will always value it over and above.

puntabrava:
What have Renault made that has ever been any good :laughing:? Why Euro 4? how long will euro 4 be compliant? Im looking for my first truck but having read a fair bit on the subject, i will buy a euro 5 merc or volvo. What will the Renault be worth when you out it? Remember the purchase price is immaterial, you will always be better buying a quality product as the market will always value it over and above.

If you spend a lot less buying a truck you don’t need it to be worth as much when you sell it !

and more expensive doesn’t always mean better quality :wink:

Denis F:

puntabrava:

If you spend a lot less buying a truck you don’t need it to be worth as much when you sell it !

and more expensive doesn’t always mean better quality :wink:

If you buy cheap kit it is cheap and undervalued for a reason in relation to its peers, i can only speak from running a farm contracting business for 25 years, a machines ‘cost’ is not known until the day you sell/px it.

+1 puntabrava
and also how much repairs breakdowns etc are going to cost have to factored in

puntabrava:

Well, the Renault has a Volvo driveline so I don’t imagine it will cause any more problems than a Volvo, although I might also look at a Mercedes which seem very highly spoken of.

Harry Monk:

puntabrava:

Well, the Renault has a Volvo driveline so I don’t imagine it will cause any more problems than a Volvo, although I might also look at a Mercedes which seem very highly spoken of.

Trouble with a drive line is, it needs an engine in front of it :laughing: Or do Renault use Volvo engines aswell? I just think that the Mercs and some Volvos on a 57plate are mostly euro 5 so will retain their value longer (i think).

puntabrava:

Harry Monk:

puntabrava:

Trouble with a drive line is, it needs an engine in front of it :laughing:

the engine is part of the driveline, do you not know anything? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the volvo driveline in the renault includes engine, transmission and rear axle

shuttlespanker:

puntabrava:

Harry Monk:

puntabrava:

Trouble with a drive line is, it needs an engine in front of it :laughing:

the engine is part of the driveline, do you not know anything? :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the volvo driveline in the renault includes engine, transmission and rear axle

Not a lot about lorrys :smiley: thats why i joined, if i post ■■■■■ it might prompt some of you members to reply with good info :laughing: