Suggestions for a secondhand truck

Yes, the driveline refers to everything from the engine to the axle. Renaults do use Volvo equipment for all of the driveline, although I accept that build quality of the vehicles themselves may not be as high. Having said that, Nobby Dressingtable seem to favour Premiums and I’m sure they wouldn’t do if they were problematic.

Harry Monk:
Yes, the driveline refers to everything from the engine to the axle. Renaults do use Volvo equipment for all of the driveline, although I accept that build quality of the vehicles themselves may not be as high. Having said that, Nobby Dressingtable seem to favour Premiums and I’m sure they wouldn’t do if they were problematic.

don’t be too sure on that harry :wink:

it is the same as Transmec favouring Iveco Stralis, they don’t have most of the electrical glitches that the normal owner/driver experiences, this is because Transmec have opted for the upgrade MANUAL gearbox over the troublesome electronically operated auto box

I am actually gravitating towards a Mercedes Benz Actros, I have spoken to a few people who run them and they don’t have a bad word to say either about the vehicles or the back-up from the dealers.

That’s what I would do, buy a Benz, always sought after for export after our Govt has made is throw away petfectly good equipment in the name of compliance.

why buy a truck because people say the make on the grill is good a pup is a pup and the make wont make any difference arent you be better looking with an open mind looking for a quality well priced truck good spec low mileage well serviced etc etc looking at which is your best local dealer can your maintenance provider fix it have they got the right diagnostics equipment for it i no people who have had daf scania mercs volvos etc and been in tears with them and iveco and reno owners who are laughing saved thousands against a so called better makes and never had a problem

puntabrava:
I just think that the Mercs and some Volvos on a 57plate are mostly euro 5 so will retain their value longer (i think).

but the value of a truck when you finish with it is not the thing that will give you most day to day worries, the money it earns and the cost of running it will be more important :wink:

IMHO i would go for the premium,try and get one that was bought from new with a 4 year warranty. I bought an 09 in july this year that still has 2 years left on warranty needed a new clutch cylinder and wiper switch last week warranty covered every penny of it :wink: Admitadely they are slightly cramped but with good mpg good warranty and for the job i do fantastic steering lock and the right price jobs a goodun

Shelve the whole idea & get a job & when you are fed up with it sling it & take a coupla months off instead of having 10t of metal around yer neck for rest of yer life? just saying,thas all.

Denis F:

puntabrava:
I just think that the Mercs and some Volvos on a 57plate are mostly euro 5 so will retain their value longer (i think).

but the value of a truck when you finish with it is not the thing that will give you most day to day worries, the money it earns and the cost of running it will be more important :wink:

Yes but the cost of ownership is as much a part of the business proposal as anything, that is why some buy second hand and others buy new, if you have an established business with many lorrys a new truck on lease or hp with all the warranties that run alongside them make sense but if you are treading an unknown path as far as work continuity goes and have a workshop/ mechanical knowledge then the ‘life’ ownership costs will be more containable for a quality used truck and there is less pressure to chase work to meet high lease/hp costs, but if you fail to consider the resale value of any truck you purchase then i would question the whole of the business plan.

Volvos are ok you have to drive them like a racing car and put 50 to up on there back and light em up so.

puntabrava:
What have Renault made that has ever been any good :laughing:? Why Euro 4? how long will euro 4 be compliant? Im looking for my first truck but having read a fair bit on the subject, i will buy a euro 5 merc or volvo. What will the Renault be worth when you out it? Remember the purchase price is immaterial, you will always be better buying a quality product as the market will always value it over and above.

are you more worried about keeping up with the jones or practicalitys of owning a truck?

grumps 1:

puntabrava:
What have Renault made that has ever been any good :laughing:? Why Euro 4? how long will euro 4 be compliant? Im looking for my first truck but having read a fair bit on the subject, i will buy a euro 5 merc or volvo. What will the Renault be worth when you out it? Remember the purchase price is immaterial, you will always be better buying a quality product as the market will always value it over and above.

are you more worried about keeping up with the jones or practicalitys of owning a truck?

Find me a donkey that will haul 44ton and not bite me and i will give it a crack.

puntabrava:

grumps 1:

puntabrava:

Find me a donkey that will haul 44ton and not bite me and i will give it a crack.

the renault is a fine truck but you just dismissed them with out probably ever driven one or spoken to a renault owner,as for what have renault ever made that was good there older range of tractors were some of the best ever made :sunglasses:

grumps 1:

puntabrava:

grumps 1:

puntabrava:

the renault is a fine truck but you just dismissed them with out probably ever driven one or spoken to a renault owner,as for what have renault ever made that was good there older range of tractors were some of the best ever made :sunglasses:

I have learnt on from this forum that Renault use the driveline from Volvo, why?

puntabrava:

grumps 1:

puntabrava:

grumps 1:

puntabrava:

I have learnt on from this forum that Renault use the driveline from Volvo, why?

you are using flawed logic,there is nothing wrong in using products from other companys and producing a cheaper product as you dont have to invest in develepment costs.take the best of the rest and make a good truck that is competively priced :sunglasses:

puntabrava:

Because Renault trucks and Volvo trucks are in the same group of companies

Same as many latter-day ERFs used MAN engines, and not because ■■■■■■■ engines had any inherent fault.

I think it’s time we had a proper truck thrown into the equation.

VOLVO

Ben9:
I think it’s time we had a proper truck thrown into the equation.

VOLVO

Yes, the point I am making is that a Renault has a Volvo driveline, and that if I did start operating a truck then I would not consider it to be a sensible financial decision to pay £8,000 more for a Volvo badge on the front when they had the same running gear.

Personally, I think the days when one brand of truck stood head and shoulders above all others are well and truly over…

Harry Monk:
Yes, the point I am making is that a Renault has a Volvo driveline, and that if I did start operating a truck then I would not consider it to be a sensible financial decision to pay £8,000 more for a Volvo badge on the front when they had the same running gear.

Personally, I think the days when one brand of truck stood head and shoulders above all others are well and truly over…

i concur,with the amalgamations in the truck industry and the use of off the shelf components i doubt there is much to choose between brands now a days.i would be more interested in spec than getting hooked up on a brand badge.