Stobarts assesment split coupling

got a assesment with stobarts trouble is when i done my class 1 because we used fridges we was trained how to do split coupling was not shown the normal way…so i dont know the full procedure as silly as it sounds so i am a bit worried will stobarts accept split coupling

I would imagine that they would want it done correctly for the type of set up being used

I’ve just been shown split coupling and was told “only ever use it when you can’t get between the unit and trailer” otherwise do it the normal way. I was also told that if you do a split coupling and goes wrong your down the road! :open_mouth:
Regards Smokinbarrels :smiley:

I’d be tempted to say upfront to the assessor that you have previously been trained to do the split coupling routine but what is their (Stobart’s) company policy and then follow that.

The in-house lgv instructor at stobarts crick is a nice guy (if still there) - i used to talk to him a lot when i did lgv instructing in northampton in 2005 :smiley:

ROG:
The in-house lgv instructor at stobarts crick is a nice guy (if still there) - i used to talk to him a lot when i did lgv instructing in northampton in 2005 :smiley:

You mean Andy Pandy ( he likes that name )

is it…
trailer brake on
legs down
leads off
walk round take number plate off
clip off pull bar out
in cab slightly lower suspension slowly pull out
then park the side of trailer
to couple back up
reverse unit close up to trailor stop ignition off
check trailor and unit are level do trailor checks
slowly back under a bit then when under slightly raise suspension to take legs off ground a bit then reverese unnder trailor properly then
2 tugs forward
put hazards on and lights turn ignition off
connect all leads
legs up
trailor brake off
go round then check all lights on 1 side
number plate in
check back lights
check side lights on going back up drivers side then back into cab
pull off and check brakes

Sounds right to me, just don’t forgot the unit handbrake before you uncouple :wink: and reconnecting the dogclip after you’ve hitched back up :slight_smile:

To be honest i’ve never had to split couple with the fridges we have, sometimes it’s very awkward when the suzies are directly under the fridge and fixed rather than on a sliding rail but can still squeeze in to do it, guess it depends how big you are :smiling_imp:

26 years an Lgv Trainer:

ROG:

You mean Andy Pandy ( he likes that name )

Yep :exclamation: - I know he REALLY likes that :exclamation: :exclamation:

our units aint got a dog clip its a wire that you pull so you can pull the handle…ill have to try and sneak a look at a dog clip som were before thursday

At widdowsons in Leicester, the legs are wound down almost to the ground and then lowered by the unit suspension control. and as you start to pul out the plate is lowered fully down. to couple up, the plate is fully down as you start to go under, STOP, raise suspension to full, then back fully under.
This is so the plate NEVER forces it’s way either under or or off the trailer.

way we was taught at langdons but also with the split couple…just this dog clip im worried about now lol
lack of expierence showing here lol

stvme2519:
way we was taught at langdons but also with the split couple…just this dog clip im worried about now lol
lack of expierence showing here lol

It’s just a ‘squeeze to open’ spring-clip that goes through a hole next to the release handle that stops the release handle being pulled out.
Most get mucky when bending under trying to put it on or take it off :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:
At widdowsons in Leicester, the legs are wound down almost to the ground and then lowered by the unit suspension control.

Just on this point if the trailer is heavy i.e. loaded, you are probably best raising the suspension a little first, before winding the legs down and then lowering the suspension and pulling out, just to give you a bigger gap, as a heavy trailer will drop a little. Also it makes it easier for the guy picking it up as he doesn’t have to drop his suspension onto the stops to pick up a heavy trailer and risk having to force the plate under!

Mind you only do this with a heavy trailer, because if you leave a trailer too high and the guy misses the pin and clouts the back of the cab with the trailer, the TM is not too happy. Been there and done that only caught the side fairing though :blush:

her ya go, hope you can understand it, i’m not so hot using Paint…

does the volvos have wire our a dog clip

stvme2519:
does the volvos have wire our a dog clip

Our V reg Volvo has a dog clip

All our FH’s are dog clips, only the scania’s seem to have wires, there’s nothing complex to it it’ll be obvious when you see it, just make sure the dog clip isn’t sitting on the fifth wheel when you back under, that’s about all that you could possibly do wrong :laughing:

Heres the trailer drop procedure for Stobart as i do it -
1.back up to trailer lower rear suspension and back under.
2.lift the suspension to close any gap and to raise the trailer legs off the ground then back up to couple up.(don’t need to apply park brake the trailers have spring brakes unless the trailer is ancient}
3.then test pull X2 (do not try to pull the pin off }
reverse of above to uncouple.
Didn’t couple a trailer on the assessment was asked how would i do the procedure.Just know your WTD and Drivers regs you will fail the assessment if you don’t know these