split coupling

need i say anything

Erm, yes.

What about it?

I did split coupling as recently as Saturday.

Ken.

Beat ya. I did it as little as 4 hours ago.

Do I get a prize. :laughing:

I do it every time.
I’m not getting covered in grease and putting my back out trying to get the air lines on.

But i always make sure that the trailer brake is on first.

Tony b

Couldn’t do it today anyhow,as I was on a puddle jumper.

Ken.

Not ideal, but can save you getting messy.

I often see people in our yard doing it with only a 33’ trailer - why? :unamused:

On most of our 44’ fridge trailers (the only ones you might argue that split-coupling may be a good idea) all the connections are on the near side. If you pull all the lines to the near side of the unit, then reverse under the trailer giving the steering wheel a good dollop of left-hand-down just before the pin engages, you create enough space to work in. :sunglasses:

according to a memo i read at B&Q Coventry.
Wincanton dont want drivers to do it because its dangerous
if you have sliding rail thats ok but then susies need to be parked on one side of the unit

oh before i forget palm coupling are easier to connect
i wonder if they will convert their fleet
so drivers wont have to struggle

hitch:
Wincanton dont what drivers to do it because its dangerous
if you have sliding rail thats ok but then susies need to be parked on one side of the unit

The problem, as ever, is that we have SWAs (or FLIDs - a new one I heard a few nights ago and apparently equates to [zb] low intelligence drivers :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: - class! :laughing: ) driving our wagons and not wagon drivers, therefore SWA puts red light on and the trailer says t-ra and runs off the arse of the unit or kills the bloke by crushing him. :unamused:

Split-coupling is as safe as houses if you concentrate on what you’re doing. I do it at the majority of places I work where gantry access is tight and have never once had a problem, although I did have rather a lot to say to one TM when I noticed that the “shunt” and “park brake” buttons had been swapped round - that could have been fatal if I hadn’t noticed :open_mouth: .

Rob K:
although I did have rather a lot to say to one TM when I noticed that the “shunt” and “park brake” buttons had been swapped round - that could have been fatal if I hadn’t noticed :open_mouth: .

The only brown trouser moment I’ve had coupling was because of just that. I didn’t notice they had been swapped and tugged what I thought was the brake to check it was on. The brake wasn’t on and the trailer rolled forward when I put the red line on, was OK though because it caught the pin anyway.

At the assessment I did for Sainsbury’s recently I received a detailed account on how they wanted the trailers coupled up and dropped, it ran to three pages and was the split method. Asda, who do love a bit of H&S, also have no problem with drivers using the split method. I also remember reading recently that a new guide to coupling has been published and it also favours this method.

hitch:

Ive been driving for B&Q for quite a while and never had any problems not split coupling, maybe its because i am so slim and agile i can get in those little gaps to connect the suzies?.

Coffeeholic:
I also remember reading recently that a new guide to coupling has been published and it also favours this method.

Anyone wants a copy of the IRTE coupling guide (pdf format)

send us an email.

hitch:

Hitch at B+Q runcorn we got a booklet on how to do it, we have to use wheel chocks and they are in every cabs cubby box. When i worked for NFT it was the norm to just do it as is and when i worked for Walkers crisps i done it and it got me in the “near miss” book by the H+S guy!! I think the only way to do it is when no one is around!

Carlsberg in Leeds are keen on EVERYTHING to do with tractors and trailers.

You even have to sign to say you will climb in and out of the cab properly as well!!! I kid you not.

Ken.

Asda have fitted auto sliders on their 4x2 and 6x2 55 plates Scanias. Makes life a lot easier when hitching to rental trailers, particularly reefers, with central couplings.

jammymutt:

hitch:

Ive been driving for B&Q for quite a while and never had any problems not split coupling, maybe its because i am so slim and agile i can get in those little gaps to connect the suzies?.

Thats what I keep saying to myself jammy when Im struggling at 4.30 dawn time with my 38inch waist strides ! I thought you were meant to be at your leanest first thing in the morning ? :frowning:

jammymutt:

I just hate guys like you, Jammy!!!

Mike-C:

hitch:

Hitch at B+Q runcorn we got a booklet on how to do it, we have to use wheel chocks and they are in every cabs cubby box. When i worked for NFT it was the norm to just do it as is and when i worked for Walkers crisps i done it and it got me in the “near miss” book by the H+S guy!! I think the only way to do it is when no one is around!

Its probably down to the guy who died doing it at Runcorn when people get killed doing things the company tends to try and avoid it in the future… :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I do it if the coupling is really close and the suzies have as much grease over them as the fifth wheel does …
I was doing it one day (split uncoupling) I had just wound the legs down and put the trailer brake on , went round the other side and pulled the pin . Just as i was getting back into the cab the shunter came across moaning about ■■■■■■ drivers always putting the trailer brakes on and then released the trailer brake .

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :imp:

Out i got and soon as i came round the cab he started mouthing off about trailer brakes and winker drivers putting them on making his job harder .
I just looked at him and went for the trailer brake , he went to swipe my hand away and i shouted at him I,M SPLIT UNCOUPLING YOU STUPID ■■■■ !!!
You shouldn’t do that he says , it’s dangereous .
No ■■■■ sherlock especially more so when busy body shunters poke there noses in , look at that gap on the walkway , if you can get in there then be my guest . If i hadnt noticed you putting that brake off this trailer would have buckled legs by now !!
Oh sorry he says i didnt know and walked off !

Notorious busy body that knows and everything .
Pain in the arse …