split coupling

I cant beleave these H&S guys, split coupling is perfectly safe, as long as you do it properly, which i beleave applies to anything. Accidents happen when people get destracted or are in a hurry, not due to methid of coupling :imp:

jammymutt:

Mike-C:

hitch:
according to a memo i read at B&Q Coventry.
Wincanton dont what drivers to do it because its dangerous
if you have sliding rail thats ok but then susies need to be parked on one side of the unit

Hitch at B+Q runcorn we got a booklet on how to do it, we have to use wheel chocks and they are in every cabs cubby box. When i worked for NFT it was the norm to just do it as is and when i worked for Walkers crisps i done it and it got me in the ā€œnear missā€ book by the H+S guy!! I think the only way to do it is when no one is around!

Its probably down to the guy who died doing it at Runcorn when people get killed doing things the company tends to try and avoid it in the futureā€¦ :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I never knew that. I know a guy was killed at Tescos thas why they moved all the suzies and connections to the nearside, they must of forgot about him now :cry:

eddie snax:
I cant beleave these H&S guys, split coupling is perfectly safe, as long as you do it properly, which i beleave applies to anything. Accidents happen when people get destracted or are in a hurry, not due to methid of coupling :imp:

EVERYTHING is perfectly safe if its done properly !!.

Can someone please explain to a rookie class 1 driver what ā€˜split couplingā€™ is?

Here goes.

Split coupling is used when the gap between the unit and the trailer is small and where it would be physically difficult to fit between.

Uncoupling.

1. Trailer brake on.
  2. Wind down legs.
  3. Release 5th wheel.
  4. Pull unit forward a couple of feet.
  5. Disconnect air and electricals.

Coupling

1. Trailer brake on.
  2. Reverse part way under trailer.
  3. Connect air and electricals.
  4. Reverse fully and engage - Tug test.
  5. Fit Dog Clip
  6. Wind up legs
  7. Release trailer brake.

There is also ā€˜Angled Couplingā€™, which has/had yet to be mentioned. :laughing:

Devon:
Can someone please explain to a rookie class 1 driver what ā€˜split couplingā€™ is?

With the greatest of respect Devon i would recommend you either watch someone else do it or ask someone to teach you, It does have it dangers if not done correctly.

Over here itā€™s really easy. Firstly the overall length limit is 75 feet, so there is noproblem, even with a 53ā€™ trailer. The pins are close to the front of the trailer so there is no real close coupling. Best of all is that you cannot charge the airtanks on the trailer until you have coupled the lines as the valve is inside the truck.
I never bothered too much with split coupling. Donā€™t need to with tankers! :wink:

Hereā€™s why I always split-couple.

And if any-one thinks Iā€™m going to try and get that fire extinguisher out should fire break out,they can think again :smiley: :smiley:

Iā€™m ever so glad somebody said that as, although Iā€™ve been a driver for something better than 40 years, I didnā€™t have the slighest idea of what everybody was going on about.

Itā€™s tougher getting old than you could believe!

David

when i worked for Walkers crisps i done it and it got me in the ā€œnear missā€ book by the H+S guy!!

To their credit, I note that Walkers have brought in a load of DAFs with pneumatically locked sliding fifth wheels operated from a button on the dash, so you couple up with the 5th wheel as far back as it will go, then press the button & reverse back to the fixed driving position - I suppose they can do it as they tend to have standardised trailers with the same pin locations. They are also very strict on trailer brakes - verbal/written warnings for not applying them when dropping a trailer.

Still doesnā€™t mean Iā€™d ever want to work for them again, mind you!!

Walkers no good then ?
Lad i used to work with is in there on the night shift and he seems to like it .

Thanks Krankee for the info!

And Yes Jammymutt I would agree, thanks for the advice.

tallyman:

when i worked for Walkers crisps i done it and it got me in the ā€œnear missā€ book by the H+S guy!!

To their credit, I note that Walkers have brought in a load of DAFs with pneumatically locked sliding fifth wheels operated from a button on the dash, so you couple up with the 5th wheel as far back as it will go, then press the button & reverse back to the fixed driving position - I suppose they can do it as they tend to have standardised trailers with the same pin locations. They are also very strict on trailer brakes - verbal/written warnings for not applying them when dropping a trailer.

Still doesnā€™t mean Iā€™d ever want to work for them again, mind you!!

Yeah, the Mercs they have , have he sliding (pneumatic) fith wheel as well, it was the Scanias i got collared on. I watched the ā€œdriver trainerā€ pull a trailer off the bay there and rip a door off (the same guy who reported me), and he started shouting about drivers not fastening them properly. I could hardly keep a straight face, i was gonna tell him he should of checked as the trailers bounce all over the place loosening the straps when they are being unloaded but thought better of it.

depablo:

Coffeeholic:
I also remember reading recently that a new guide to coupling has been published and it also favours this method.

Anyone wants a copy of the IRTE coupling guide (pdf format)

send us an email.

or go here soe.org.uk/news/item.php?id=463 , click on the link on the bottom line, fill out the boxes, and your copy will arrive in around 7 days.

Kate:

depablo:
Anyone wants a copy of the IRTE coupling guide (pdf format)

send us an email.

or go here soe.org.uk/news/item.php?id=463 , click on the link on the bottom line, fill out the boxes, and your copy will arrive in around 7 days.

Im a member of the IRTE and never knew you could receive a hard copy as a non-member (hence my link), although very pleased they provide it to everyone who is not a member as it is a safety related item and everyone should benefit.

Only one person requested it by email.

Whether you go by the guide is your choice, but if involved in an incident you should always be able to say you use the method as set by industry, at least you then have a defence if someone sayā€™s your wrong in a court of law.
Certainly worth a read by anyone who is involved in coupling procedures.

hitch:
according to a memo i read at B&Q Coventry.
Wincanton dont what drivers to do it because its dangerous
if you have sliding rail thats ok but then susies need to be parked on one side of the unit

Wowā€¦I so wish I had read this before going there last night. First night thereā€¦first night driving artics as it happens.

Just pulled in got out and no room for me (iā€™m 6ā€™4" and not exacly a waife). Pulled it forward when I hear this ā€œYOUR NOT GOING TO SPLIT COUPLE ARE YOU BOY!ā€ from one of the permies.

Me? No sir wouldnā€™t dream of it. So decided to do some left hand lock when I hit the pin. Was even tempted to hit the shunt valve (could ge the red line on at least and then go an hard left hand it.

Unless the couplings are right on the side or sliding (like Tesco have them) then every fridge hook up to gets split coupled. Including our Haydock depot which has big signs saying ā€œSplit Coupling not allowedā€. What do they expect you to do, go crawling underneath the fridge unit ā– ā–  Yeah thatā€™s much safer !!!

G

Gazzareth:
Unless the couplings are right on the side or sliding (like Tesco have them) then every fridge hook up to gets split coupled. Including our Haydock depot which has big signs saying ā€œSplit Coupling not allowedā€. What do they expect you to do, go crawling underneath the fridge unit ā– ā–  Yeah thatā€™s much safer !!!

G

Same here. With the fridge and the air spoilers on the unit, there is no way even Kate Moss is getting in there !
All the 5th wheels are bolted in place too.

Itā€™s one of the three methods of coupling sanctioned and recommended by the H&S numpties, so I would just carry on and couple that way. If the donā€™t like it they can take it up with the Health & Safety executive.

Iā€™m saying nowt :unamused: :wink: :laughing: