Start times

Just want to double check sumthing with fellow truckers.
So my start time window is 0000-300am.Now I was told by the driver trainer that if I wasn’t happy getting a txt at 5/6pm for a 1am start tell them you will go by the 1 week planned book we have I.e says name and start time.
But now I’ve been told that I must either ring in or txt after 6pm or have a txt .Now my problem is as I start at 0030 and never past 0130 …where do I stand?
I finish roughly 12/1300pm.

Just leave your phone in another room

It’s a totally unreasonable request to have to ring in/wait for a text after 6pm when your due in work at 1am. Ask for the office if they would be happy having to wait up till gone midnight for a start time…

You aren’t actually going along with this at the moment are you? :open_mouth:

buses:
Just want to double check sumthing with fellow truckers.
So my start time window is 0000-300am.Now I was told by the driver trainer that if I wasn’t happy getting a txt at 5/6pm for a 1am start tell them you will go by the 1 week planned book we have I.e says name and start time.
But now I’ve been told that I must either ring in or txt after 6pm or have a txt .Now my problem is as I start at 0030 and never past 0130 …where do I stand?
I finish roughly 12/1300pm.

Maybe, you should speak to a manager

rob22888:
It’s a totally unreasonable request to have to ring in/wait for a text after 6pm when your due in work at 1am.

Well I certainly wouldn’t be ringing before 6…as i’d still be in bed.

You ringing in and asking for your start time is actually classed as “other work” which means it’s breaking your daily rest so you’ll need to have 9 hours off from after you have spoken to them until you can start your shift.
Stobrats were fined for this exact same thing last year I believe.
They either need to tell you your start time after your previous shift or after you have had your 9/11 hours rest before your shift starts

Indeed, and even if you are in a union, said union will not be interested in defending you for phoning (working) during your rest hours.

Worse still if you use the company phone to ring in then they have all the evidence they need to go right through the workforce.

Betcha don’t get those instructions in writing.

There is a thing called an ON / OFF power button on mobile phones try using it.
Totally unreasonable not to be told what your next start time is or any other information regarding your shift BEFORE you go home,end of shift is YOUR time to do as you please NOT theirs
All down to bad planning in the Traffic Office /Warehouse,they know what shifts Drivers are scheduled for its upto them to have the work ready, go in at your scheduled shift window if you have to sit around thats down to them your time starts when you get in and finishes accordingly.

An idea of your normal finishing time/shift length and how long the journey home takes will give a better idea of what is reasonable for them to ring you after which revert to last instructions. If you like working there and are treated well you could always get them to ring your wife instead and ask her to reset your alarm clock. I have always found it very frustrating and tiring to hang around at the beginning of an early morning start, with the consequent later feel of rushing about, when I could have had an extra two hours kip.

Edit: didn’t notice your finish time. 15.00 assuming 30 minute travel.

Let me guess… Retail/Food industry.■■?
Don’t cooperate with these daft buggers. Tell them sod off.

I’ve got no problems with companies ringing me or me ringing them for a start time, if they’re being reasonable about it, but I think this is taking the ■■■■, you are expected to contact them for a start time of between 00:30 and 03:00 at 6pm the night before, with those sort of start times it should be reasonably expected that you should be asleep at 6pm.

You need to get this dealt with, tell them that either they tell you, your next shift time before you leave work or no later than 3pm and they should call you not the other way round.

Taking the ■■■■. You’ll never have more than 6 hours sleep. They’ve managed to put the call window right in the middle. If you sleep when you get home, you’ll have 5 hours before the call. If you sleep after the call, you’ll have 5 hours. A real bellend way of managing drivers rest, or not allowing them to rest. Ask them if they’re sniffin glue.

Cheers for quick replays.
Just to add been at said company 2yrs…Im just a number to be honest.
Either way I’m flexible.When I first started I was getting my time out the book 0030 and turned the phone off.Wake up 10pm,turn phone on and it’s 3am start!That messed me up.I spoke to the manager and it’s as if the planning team are untouchable.
I’ve had this problem before with first class one job,A lot on here gave good advice then too…i left but got told as you do we won’t swap and change but all lies.

commonrail:
Just leave your phone in another room

Only check your phone after you have had 11 hours daily rest.
If they complain tell them that by answering the phone for work related issues is classed as ‘other work’ so cannot be done whilst on daily rest!

Best thing look around find a decent firm and leave them.

buses:
Cheers for quick replays.
Just to add been at said company 2yrs…Im just a number to be honest.
Either way I’m flexible.When I first started I was getting my time out the book 0030 and turned the phone off.Wake up 10pm,turn phone on and it’s 3am start!That messed me up.I spoke to the manager and it’s as if the planning team are untouchable.
I’ve had this problem before with first class one job,A lot on here gave good advice then too…i left but got told as you do we won’t swap and change but all lies.

Tell them that you will start at your booked time and tell them you will booked it as poa.
Was on daft o clock starts for over 2 years felt like it nearly killed me there’s more to life then chasing the top paying shifts.

We had this at our place. I suggested they treated the day drivers the same, have them wake up to a text message telling them what time to start work. Made a big deal about tired drivers and broken/disturbed/insufficient rest. It did the job.

whatever happened to the 6/7am starts,nowadays it’s all 1am 2am,etc,i get up at 4am for a 5am start and that’s bad enough,if I went for an interview and was told start before 5am it would be bye bye to the job,i used to start at 2am and bloody hated it,7am till 1700 would be a perfect job for me,not many of them around anymore

I never realised there where 2x 5 o’clocks in a day, not to mention 1’s,2’s,3’s &4’s as I’m usually fast asleep in my bed during the 1st ones :laughing:

As for driving at midnight, I tell em when they ask me to be there at midnight, "I’m like Cinderella, and if I’m in my carriage at midnight I swear it’ll turn into a pumpkin!!! And that will never happen "

Had an interview at Tesco`s once,interview went great,then I was offered a 01.00am start time,after which I thank them for the interview and said my good bye.

commonrail:

rob22888:
It’s a totally unreasonable request to have to ring in/wait for a text after 6pm when your due in work at 1am.

Well I certainly wouldn’t be ringing before 6…as i’d still be in bed.

If they were my start times I’d be going to bed about 6-7 pm and would be getting up at midnight,I’d treat it as an early morning start.
Either way it is totally unreasonable to not give you a start time way earlier than that.