Start times how many hours does an employer need give you?

Does anyone know how much notice your employer needs to give you for your next days work? We ring up at 5pm and find out the next days work the start time can be as early as midnight and sometimes you can’t get through until after 6pm so this can result in as little as 530 in bed, also you do not know until the phone call if it’s going to be a day run or a night out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no specific amount of time across the industry, it will all come down to what it states in your contract of employment.

before your Daily Rest period starts.our depot will not contact a driver when he’s on his rest break.

I get 12/14 hours notice

The tendency seems to be covered by the saying I am growing to hate “needs of the business”

Change businesses.
Asap

I am trying to get on the trains driving HGVs is getting worse there are too many drivers on a really bad wage and they do mega hrs to get a half decent wage, they don’t stand together and it’s sad to see

Anything that involves pallets,usually involves warehouses…and the 24/7 bull ■■■■ that goes with them.
Try getting into work that centres on weighbridges.
They only work"school hours"

I do Tanker work 6 months on gas 6 months on Bitumen and the money is probably better than most jobs the 6 months on the Bitumen is the one where you do the early starts

If you’re happy
Crack on

Happy with it I just think there should be something stipulating in the law saying you should have x amount of number of hrs saying your next days start time and you really should know 24hrs in advance if they want you on a night out

But like I said I am trying to get on the trains but it is really hard I am on a waiting list for an interview/test but I know there really hard

I’d certainly want more than 6 hours notice before a midnight start time.
In fact i’d want more than 6 hours notice before any start time.
I like 8 hours in bed

A couple of years ago the Bitumen job was in house and you would put up with it because they treated you really well, now it’s out to contract ran by a general haulage firm (who think they are a tanker firm) and it’s all over the place, I left them two years ago and the company I am working for now have put some tanks in there and want me to go on it for 6 months= driving is rubbish [emoji23]

Didn’t stobarts get taken to court over this as it’s classed as interrupting the drivers daily rest if they have to ring up before during daily rest to find out what they are on the next day??
Technically if your speaking to work about work it is “other work” and is interrupting your daily rest.

I heard something like that in the past, I guess you would be within your rights to start 11 hrs after you find out your next days work

I start the same time every day but if they want me to come in earlier they need to tell me no later than Friday the week before they want me to change. Not once in 15 months have we contacted each other by phone.

commercialmotor.com/news/hau … art-ruling

If the T.O can`t give you a start time or details of your next days work before you go home,thats their problem, go in at your basic hours start time providing you are legal with regards rest.
No way ringing in or sitting by the phone waiting for them to ring REST TIME IS YOUR TIME to do what you want NOT theirs.

mshenderson:
But like I said I am trying to get on the trains but it is really hard I am on a waiting list for an interview/test but I know there really hard

Good luck with the railway, i stopped driving 4 years ago to become a signaller best thing i have ever done.