Start of a new era

Trucking today doesn’t have much joy. I say that because So much is now changing. I read an article the other day in a magazine about a driver who said he entered driving at the end of an era. The era in question was the time when transport cafes were everywhere, all lorries were British made and you knew virtually every driver you drove past!
I feel the same and would like to share my views. Although I entered at the end of a different era.

Firstly, I would like to point out the era that I’m referring to. I’m talking about the 80’s and 90’s. During the 80’s I used to travel with my dad in his 0813 Ford Cargo. It was from about the age of 5 (now 27) that I think diesel started to run through my viens. I remember seeing great trucks such as the Volvo F12’s, Mercedes SK’s, Iveco Turbostars and many more. I became fascinated. These were trucks, not big cars, but trucks. They took skill to drive and were rudimentary workhorses. This is how I personally prefer my trucks and this was the attraction for me. Going through each gear manually. Proper whooshing hand brakes. Metal bumpers. Metal Mudguards. A dashboard that was primarily built for function rather than style. An engine you could hear and controls that you got feedback through. I’m talking about a proper machine that was pleasing to the senses and gave you a satisfying feeling of a man who had mastered his machine.
Maybe sentiment is clouding my judgement.
Nowadays, it seems we’re just in attendance of the steering wheel with nothing more than the croaky drones of Janice Long on Radio 2 to keep us company. Or some crackpot on the Jeremy Vine show ranting on about illegal immigrants or 24 hour drinking. It seems that most new trucks now have hideous auto boxes that take away the pleasure, in my opinion, of taking command and changing gears ourselves. It takes away the pleasure and satisfying feeling of successfully working your way though a twin splitter and back down again with no crunch or false neutrals selected. It seems that auto (or semi auto) boxes have really come on strong over the last 2 years. The length of time I’ve been driving class 1’s.
When I was younger the trucks on the road were actually separated from cars. Although still fundamentally separated in terms of function, I’m starting to feel as if I’m driving a car and not a truck.
I hope some of you readers can see where I’m coming from here.

Secondly, legislation. Namely the working time directive (WTD). Since its introduction, which I adhered to initially, for about a week, I haven’t notice a single thing change for me. I don’t even record POA’s. I’ve gone with impunity and I know of no other driver who has had so much as a cautionary talking to. I seriously and perhaps naively thought that the government were backtracking and quitely letting this piece of nonsensical legislation fizzle out. How wrong I was. I read yesterday that our friend VOSA are going to start coming down hard on drivers and operators who flout the rules.
There is a little publicised rule that states you must have a 30 minute break upon 6 hours completed duty time whether you’ve done any driving at all. I was aware of this before the introduction of the WTD. Scenario: Start work at 6pm. Shunt and load until 9:30pm. Leave for Bristol with an ETA of 12:30am. Once I get there I have done 6 1/2 hours duty. This is where I need to take my 45 minutes tachograph break. The WTD states that by 12am I should have a 30 minute break. So I do. I get to Bristol at 1am instead. Because of the amount of time I need to get back from Bristol (remember, I pulled over 30 mins before arrival, so this 30 minutes of driving contribute to the next 4 1/2 hours) I cant let the 30 minute WTD break contribute to my 45 minute Tachograph break so I have to have 45 minutes, not 15. Because of my later than normal arrival another trunker or two got there before me and that costs me an hour. All because of this 30 minute WTD break. By the time I get finished in the morning I could have worked an hour and a half longer than normal. How this piece of legislation makes my personal work/life balance better and the job more attractive given the scenario I’ve just explained is beyond me. There are probably many scenarios similar to this at any given moment spread over the UK.

Thirdly, more legislation. Smoking. I wont say too much about this. To ban smoking in the cab is to take away a part of truck driver cultural heritage. Its akin to taking alcohol and string vests off of Glasweigans. its like taking shell suits and flick knives off of Liverpudlians or taking bling, body lotion, BMW’s and ganja away from our black friends.
Another reason I wanted to be a truck driver, as well as many others, I suspect, were the freedoms that were part and parcel of this chosen career. I’m not against a company having smoking and non smoking trucks. For a non smoker to get into a truck where the night driver who happened to love smoking Capstan full strength has just jumped out of it must be quite a disgusting experience. For me, there is nothing like sitting back, winding down the window and puffing away to my favorite songs. It makes me feel kind of cool.

Fourthly, health and safety. I have never known such draconian health and safety rules enforced on anybody, ever. I really dont think that between my cab door and the dog clip which I’m checking I’ve put on that I’m going to get flattened by a 44 tonner!! Tesco making drivers wait in a disgusting excuse of a waiting area for up to 4 hours. Pump trucking 25 tons of paper to the back door because according to the depot manager it cant be done off the side because of “Health and safety”. Excuse me Mr. manager, half of that statement relates to my wellbeing. Health.
I’m all for safe working practices. However, when you start to see bus drivers wearing a hi viz you know theres something desperately wrong.
Personally, probably because of my youth, which holds an immature rebellious side with a fundamental desire not to conform at its heart, I dont do hi viz’s until I actually get threatened with a ban from a site. With some I repeatedly get away with it. With others, I get shouted at climbing down my cab steps on the first visit. I find that they’re so commonplace that everybody looks the same now. [u]This[/u] will explain my sentiment exactly.

In conclusion I make the point that so much has changed over the past 2 years. It gets worse. By 2009 every new driver will have to pass a CPC examination and on top of that complete so many hours training in a certain period. Is it any wonder that truck driving is now considered a prospect worth avoiding? Gone are the days of pounding down a motorway with all controls in your control while enjoying a cigarette. Gone are the days of gaining a class 1 license and thats it. Gone are the days of friendships and consideration for the fellow trucker. Gone are the days of comradeship. I feel that we’re over regulated caged monkeys forced to conform to a code of practice thats nanny and irritating. What do you want to be when you grow up son?" “A steering wheel attendant monkey just like you dad.”
The thought of hauling a load on a rudimentary workhorse that I’m piloting, warts and all, with pride and a more relaxed pace seems too appealing. I may become an office wally instead and work as an agency bod.

I know all of my rants here have been covered before but I feel quite profoundly about all of these topics.

Thank you for your time to read this,
Regards,
Steve.

ezydriver:
…Thank you for your time to read this,
Regards,
Steve.

You waffle on about the good old times but i think you couldn’t be more wrong. About the 30min WTD break, if you start earlier you will make your 12.00 slot. Surely your employer who is responsible for planning your working day knows this? If they are thick surely you know it? Far too long has a drivers eagerness and keeness to do his job been taken for granted, and whilst there is days you don’t feel like you need a break there are others when you do. And lets face it without legislation you’d be required to do a trunk from Liverpool to London and back without a break and if you stopped they’d want to know why. So i would say to you…lets give you an old truck and you work with no rules and leave the rest of us to work and drive in the 21st century. I for one think the enforcement agencys are sadly lacking when it comes to enforcement and i never fail to point it out to them, and whilst other drivers choose to campaign and lobby people for more respect i think it starts a bit nearer home so i don’t waffle on about waiting at Tescos etc. I tell it how it is to the people that matter and that includes my employers and VOSA. I love the law !!!

Steve - an excellent post and I couldn’t agree more.

Just one item I picked up on though - why are you under the impression that your 30 min RTD break can’t be used as a tacho break? A break is a break regardless of how you dress it up. If you want to knock 30 mins off your 45 min tacho break when it’s required, then that’s exactly what you do.

Personally, I don’t take any notice of POA or the RTD requirements and earlier this year during a ministry tacho check my lack of RTD breaks went unnoticed. Draw your own conclusions.

Mike-C:

ezydriver:
…Thank you for your time to read this,
Regards,
Steve.

You waffle on about the good old times but i think you couldn’t be more wrong. About the 30min WTD break, if you start earlier you will make your 12.00 slot. Surely your employer who is responsible for planning your working day knows this? If they are thick surely you know it? Far too long has a drivers eagerness and keeness to do his job been taken for granted, and whilst there is days you don’t feel like you need a break there are others when you do. And lets face it without legislation you’d be required to do a trunk from Liverpool to London and back without a break and if you stopped they’d want to know why. So i would say to you…lets give you an old truck and you work with no rules and leave the rest of us to work and drive in the 21st century. I for one think the enforcement agencys are sadly lacking when it comes to enforcement and i never fail to point it out to them, and whilst other drivers choose to campaign and lobby people for more respect i think it starts a bit nearer home so i don’t waffle on about waiting at Tescos etc. I tell it how it is to the people that matter and that includes my employers and VOSA. I love the law !!!

You have no understanding of the real world, all your other comments show a crass lack of common sense, let the boy rant, and stop being an anorak !!!

West Hallam Ram:
You have no understanding of the real world, all your other comments show a crass lack of common sense, let the boy rant, and stop being an anorak !!!

Judith Chalmers!! You’re right though!!

could’nt agree more, than to say there was a day when this job was hard but you ENJOYED doing it ,but now its more of a pain in the backside ,so come thursday me and road haulage will part hopefully for more sensable hours and slightly better pay ,no tachos,no clock watching to make sure break is correct,as for wtd,stick it where the sun dont shine,thurs cant come soon enough,and this is from someone who went with his father at 3 (now 43),and spent the last 16 yrs in the business,driving allsorts,everywhere in uk,but not anymore when some companies still think 14-15 hrs a day is the norm,when they go home after nine,

best of luck to all

mark

About the 30min WTD break, if you start earlier you will make your 12.00 slot.

This is precisely my point though. As I understand it, the WTD was introduced partly to make driving a more attractive career. It was designed to regulate working hours. If I was to start earlier it is affecting my work/life balance because I’d still finish at my normal time. See, it still makes my night longer whichever way I look at it.

And lets face it without legislation you’d be required to do a trunk from Liverpool to London and back without a break and if you stopped they’d want to know why.

I agree, but we already have legislation to protect us from that. The tachograph.
I’m not wholeheartedly against the WTD but I am completely against the complexity of it. I’m against how it can actually lengthen your day. Ok so you’re not actually working, you may be on a WTD break or POA etc… but it still can lengthen your day.

So i would say to you…lets give you an old truck

Yes please.

I love the law !!!

Doesn’t it start to make you feel like an over controlled monkey though?

ezydriver:

About the 30min WTD break, if you start earlier you will make your 12.00 slot.

This is precisely my point though. As I understand it, the WTD was introduced partly to make driving a more attractive career. It was designed to regulate working hours. If I was to start earlier it is affecting my work/life balance because I’d still finish at my normal time. See, it still makes my night longer whichever way I look at it.

Doesn’t it start to make you feel like an over controlled monkey though?

AFAIK it (WTD) was brought in to ensure breaks where taken as before hand it was possible to do say a 10hour day without a break as long as you didn’t exceed 4.5 hrs driving, unlikely for most i know but it did happen.
Don’t know about “overcontrolled” but i’m a cheeky monkey!!

I think maybe 6 hours is a bit short though. If it were 7 maybe, then it may be a little more convenient. I dont know. Personally I find it a pain in the behind.

ezydriver:
I think maybe 6 hours is a bit short though. If it were 7 maybe, then it may be a little more convenient. I dont know. Personally I find it a pain in the behind.

I guess its just based on “halfway through a typical 12hr shift”. Its stil catching plenty out though as i’ve had loads of “planned runs” where this has not been taken into account, resulting in the later drops being late.

…and turning your day into a 13 hour day I suspect.

Nostalga!

Scammell Highwaymans, Guy Warriors~Invincibles~Big J.

Drive by the seat of your pants, now you have air suspension, air suspended cab and air suspended seat.

The funs all gone :slight_smile:

depablo:
Nostalga!

Scammell Highwaymans, Guy Warriors~Invincibles~Big J.

Drive by the seat of your pants, now you have air suspension, air suspended cab and air suspended seat.

The funs all gone :slight_smile:

So have the piles :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Spardo:

depablo:
So have the piles :unamused: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Nearly forgot heated seats and lumbar support, plus “central heating” as in night heaters.

Who’s spoiled■■?

“Duke of Argyles” :blush: forgot about them :smiley:

I know what you are saying,EZY. But as you say it a new era for UK truckers. now you are just a machine operator on 24hr. surveillance. To get the conditions you long for I think you could try Ireland or Australia.
PS. The whole idea of auto boxes is not to help you. Its so that the truck manufacturer chooses when its right to change cogs,not you; In theory saving the owner money in wear & tear & fuel over the life of the ve.he.icle…

From my point of view the worst thing is the speed limiter. But ,I have to say, that in the old days every time a new model came on the road ,within days you would see them wrapped up everywhere until the drivers got used to the power & the speed.A lot of young guys lost their lives actingcool. I am talking mainly about the international boys…Favourite for going out of control in the old days was the F12 when it first came out.

To get the conditions you long for I think you could try Ireland

Do they run older trucks over there? I do favour conditions that give more freedom, and I certainly prefer older trucks that look like they’ve worked hard over brand new shiny trucks. I know a lot of people may think I’m mad, but its just my preference. I’m sure a few of you feel the same.
Can anybody tell me what Irish trucking is like?
Steve.

ezydriver:

To get the conditions you long for I think you could try Ireland

Do they run older trucks over there? I do favour conditions that give more freedom, and I certainly prefer older trucks that look like they’ve worked hard over brand new shiny trucks. I know a lot of people may think I’m mad, but its just my preference. I’m sure a few of you feel the same.
Can anybody tell me what Irish trucking is like?
Steve.

If you like working 24 hours per day and break every rule in the book than yes, go along and give it a try. Freedom? Well, you will be surprised how much you are going to lose of your freedom as a ‘Foreigner’. Besides, the pay is well below average. Just think why so many Irish blokes come over to good old England. I mean no offence nor do I want to create hard feelings bu that’s the way it is over there. Besides, they are driving the same trucks like us, no difference whatsoever.

Thats true, but ezy is feeling restless & the best thing is to spend time away from the UK. Australia would be ideal. The trucks are mostly Fuller boxes etc; The hours are long & the pay is small. But ( & this is a big but ) there is no better time to travel than when you are young. The trucking ezy is looking for is not a job ;Its a way of life. Find the job that makes you happy & every thing else will follow. Money ,women, fame & fortune… :smiley: