Time travel trucking

i was wondering when you wouldve liked to have been a driver for me it would be the late seventies early eighties doin the continent and middle east in scanny 141s volvo f88s and then a little later f12 globetrotters and daf 3600 spacecabs.how bout you :question:

Good question, I think Id like to drive in the 50’s when there wernt a motorway, and plenty of cafe’s! Where you’d go out and just get your own loads all the week.

Mal:
Good question, I think Id like to drive in the 50’s when there wernt a motorway, and plenty of cafe’s! Where you’d go out and just get your own loads all the week.

plus when truckers were respected a little more :sunglasses:

simon

Id be happy now with a DAF 3600 Spacecab :slight_smile:

The best part was when I ran my own trucks and could choose my loads and destinations. Its a pity I couldnt choose the rates as well :frowning:

SimonRS2K:

Mal:

plus when truckers were respected a little more :sunglasses:

simon

I honestly dont know if thats the case or not Simon, I didnt start in HGV till 1980, and I dont remember we were respected any more then. But you might be right about the 50’s. It’d be interesting anyway!

Mal:

Sounds good Mal, I think that is the era I would have liked to drive in, less traffic, people in less of a hurry to kill themself. Mind you I enjoy it now as well so I’m not complaining.

I know what you mean Neil, I aint complaining (much) either, and theres no doubt that for comfort on the road these motors today are the dogs ■■■■■■■■! In some type of mad way, I miss the old motors I drove over 20 years ago, as you didnt know what might happen next, and Ive even changed injector pipes on the road! I think it suited me as a person better back then, as there was none of the bull in the job as there is now, stuck up drivers were very rare and of course in the 50’s thered be even less I reckon! Can you imagine some old 8 wheeler and drag up Shap in a blizzard! :laughing: :laughing:

paul binns has a restored spacecab in burgandy the same has his transconti it was coupled to a matching tandem axle tilt when i saw it at truckfest it looked the dogs dangley bits :laughing: and the now defunct maguires of cheltenham had a nice one

I was working for Joseph Rice in Gloucester on agency for a few months and they started up in the 1850’s - so give me an old wagon, four horses and a month to get to London and back - stopping at the many coaching inns along the way.

davecsm:
so give me an old wagon, four horses and a month to get to London and back - stopping at the many coaching inns along the way.

With the added bonus of having a very fertile vegetable garden and nice roses back at home. Wonder if they ran a gift scheme in those days, 4 bags of oats and a bale of hay = 1 tankard. :wink: :smiley:

i dont know if id like to go back to the 50s driving. my dad, and plenty of his mates did and there all walking with sticks or wheelchair bound now. i see where your coming from with the traffic and pace of the job now, but its got to be healthier now surely? handballing every load?!