Stamford Cattle market, Lorry Park

Did any of you used to park at the cattle market in stamford.? I was lorry mad when i was a kid i used to hang out down there with harold the guy who gave the tickets. I had loads of photos but they got lost years ago.
I was so mad about wagons i used to hitch hike between the compass Cafe (colsterworth) and kates cabin (peterborough). upto twenty times a day thru the school holidays. Diesel must be in my genes cause my dad and grandad were truckers.

hi johnny, we used to park there in the mid 60-70ty, stayed at , :confused: :confused: horse&jockey, used to get ■■■■■■ through stamford with wide loads by police on a le-velocette, bumper :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I remember when they closed it to lorries that within a month two pubs closed and a chippy. Some nights there would be forty wagons in there.

It used to be a regular stop for me, dozens of pubs and a bit of fun bear baiting the RAF lads :slight_smile:

I remember one night walking back to the truck when I was accosted by a policeman. He began giving me a hard time as I tried to explain what I was doing at that time of night. This became a bit worrying until I heard laughing. The next thing, his mate came around the corner with a big smile and said, Now Malc! it was a lad I was at school with.

PC Smith, you must be Sergeant by now :laughing:

One of my Favorite & regular stops form when I started Tramping (Collinson Bros Chopwell 1975)
in early days never got much farther than the little bar in the outbuildings at the back end of the George think it was an Indian guy that ran it till it closed.In the time I worked for Armstrongs one of our lads got on well with one of the barmaids in the George & there was allways a complimentry bottle of wine :wink: Always enjoyed the rest of the Town some good bars :laughing:

LAST TIME I PARKED STAMFORD WAS WITH THE LATE PETER MANGHAN EX COLLINSONS, HE WAS ON FOR FREEWAYS AT THE TIME HAD A GOOD NIGHT WITH A FEW OTHER N.E BOYS ON A FRIDAY NIGHT.

Sadly Peter no longer with us mackem had heart attack a few yrs ago up at Carlisle he was still on for freeways at the time.

hi greek yes i do remember collinsons the f88s, i know im on the wrong link but used to have some good nights in sheerness

hi greek yes i do remember collinsons the f88s, i know im on the wrong link but used to have some good nights in sheerness

AYE PETER WAS A GOOD BLOKE GREEK , MY DAD ALSO WORKS FOR FREEWAY BEEN THEIR 36 YEAR HE CALLED STAN. I WORKED FOR RONNIE TAILFORD FOR ABOUT 8 YEAR BUT LEFT ABOUT 7 YEAR AGO TO GO WORK OFFSHORE WHICH I AM STILL DOING WE ARE WORKING IN EGYPT AT MOMENT I DO 5 WEEKS ON 5 WEEKS OFF, I STILL KEEP MY HAND IN DOING A BIT FOR RTH, AND MTL IN ABERDEEN JUST A FEW DAYS HERE AND THEIR WHEN THEY STUCK FOR A DRIVER.

Stan the Man is he still doing the markets?

NO LONGER DO THE MARKETS THEY SOLD THE STALLS A FEW YEAR AGO NOW, NOT MUCH MONEY IN IT ANY MORE GREEK THATS WHY THE SOLD THEM.