Spring budget 2017

Anyone keeping an eye on it?

Looks like they’re hitting the self employed with a raise in the amount of NI they pay and cutting their tax free dividend allowance.

Oh, and they’re investing in driverless vehicle research!

Yet more taxes on the self employed .And yet they encouraged it in the last budget.
No real changes and more Bs Austerity .That snp bloke waffled on really badly afterwards yawnfest :unamused:

Brilliant idea hit more of their core voters.Together with their development policies in the South East and starving it of cash for its essential services these muppets seem to be trying to commit political and electoral suicide bearing in mind their slim majority.

no mention of a diesel car scrappage scheme…so i will continue to drive my old banger that’s worth nothing until they offer me lots of money to scrap it :smiley:

Simpler way of getting more taxes would have been to raise the nmw in line with the living wage. Then the employee gets a little better off, and the employer puts his hand in his pocket to weigh out the tax that the current nmw can’t generate.

But from what I gather on the ni hike, it only affects self employed one man bands. Watch out for a load of limited company formations, meaning the whole thing could backfire on the treasury.

Dividend Tax will affect company owners too. Not a good budget for anybody aspirational.

OVLOV JAY:
Simpler way of getting more taxes would have been to raise the nmw in line with the living wage. Then the employee gets a little better off, and the employer puts his hand in his pocket to weigh out the tax that the current nmw can’t generate.

But from what I gather on the ni hike, it only affects self employed one man bands. Watch out for a load of limited company formations, meaning the whole thing could backfire on the treasury.

Think that’s why they cut the tax free dividend limits to counter that.

everytime the nmw/living wage goes up stacking shelves in tesco looks more appealing…!
so im getting hit three ways cutting flat rate vat N.I. going up and somthing to do with taxable dividend ( not clear on that yet )

welcome to we dont reward you for being motovated britain

You’re probably right, I don’t really know what the current Tory thinking is. Seems they’re at war with anyone except the top 1% of earners. They’ve cut benefits, raised taxes for the self employed, so there’s not many left that they haven’t ■■■■■■ over in the past few years. It’s as if they’ve said sod it, there’s no viable opposition so we can do what we want

Carryfast:
Brilliant idea hit more of their core voters.Together with their . development policies in the South East and starving it of cash for its essential services these muppets seem to be trying to commit political and electoral suicide bearing in mind their slim majority.

Not realy much of an alternative though. If we had a general election next week I could only see them increase there majority even after this debacle

I trust all the self employed captain of industury ltd company drivers especially the ones that work for one company all year round will be putting there rates up to cover these changes.

OVLOV JAY:
You’re probably right, I don’t really know what the current Tory thinking is. Seems they’re at war with anyone except the top 1% of earners. They’ve cut benefits, raised taxes for the self employed, so there’s not many left that they haven’t [zb] over in the past few years. It’s as if they’ve said sod it, there’s no viable opposition so we can do what we want

That’s basically it. With the changes in business rates and the few other bits of changes to self employment they are screwing more out of a guy who opens a little coffee shop on the high street than they are Starbucks down the road.
But realistically if there was a general election next week they would still win as at the moment the Labour Party are probaly weaker than they were back in the Michael Foot era

OVLOV JAY:
It’s as if they’ve said sod it, there’s no viable opposition so we can do what we want

If I had a nail being hit on the head meme, I’d post it for that sentence!

The Tory slim majority in the house of commons is about “seats” rather than about “voters in constituencies”.

If you look on the good old beeb archives with regards to “how large the tory majorities are” in the South of England especially - you’ll see that each and every ward dropping it’s Tory majority by around 1000 votes swung to Labour, isn’t going to unseat a single Tory MP in this part of the world at least…

Click on your constituency here, and see if your own MP is in any danger of being unseated.

Truth is, it would take a MASSSIVE swing to Labour to oust the Tories from power any time soon. Now both the Libdems and UKIP are on the ropes as well, then those thinking that the next election is going to be another “hung parliament” are really talking through their hats. For it to be a hung parliament - at least 60 seats would have to go to “non Labour/Tory parties” around the country, and that’s not including the SNP seats already going that way which had what effect exactly? - That’s right. NONE.

It takes a lot to turn over a mainstream government, but once it’s done - it’s damned hard to reverse it again! 1979, 1997 and 2010 don’t happen every day after all!

carryfast-yeti:
no mention of a diesel car scrappage scheme…so i will continue to drive my old banger that’s worth nothing until they offer me lots of money to scrap it :smiley:

Yeh. Let’s talk about the mickey mouse MOTs market. How do all those old smoky wrecks GET the renewals so easily, when I’m told routinely at MOT tests that “Sorry bud, this one is over it’s emissions because someone smoked a ■■■ in it once about five years ago, or you didn’t change your fluffy dice”.

At present, I buy a car with 11 months MOT on it. I expect it to fail the next MOT because that’s why I get to pay only £400 for it. If I brought a newer car, the depreciatation over that same period would be a lot more than the entire price I paid AND there is no guarantee that the “more recent” car is going to fare any better in it’s own MOT test…

I never buy diesel, because the maintenance and repair liabilities outstripped the cheaper diesel consumption aspect even when Diesel fuel was once upon a time cheaper than petrol. :wink:

Notimetoulouse:
everytime the nmw/living wage goes up stacking shelves in tesco looks more appealing…!
so im getting hit three ways cutting flat rate vat N.I. going up and somthing to do with taxable dividend ( not clear on that yet )

welcome to we dont reward you for being motovated britain

What has happened in this budget is a result of people like you claiming to be self employed when you legally shouldn’t be and abusing flat rate VAT and the dividend scheme.

Like millions of other people in this country my heart bleeds purple ■■■■ for you and all like you.

Winseer:
Yeh. Let’s talk about the mickey mouse MOTs market. How do all those old smoky wrecks GET the renewals so easily, when I’m told routinely at MOT tests that “Sorry bud, this one is over it’s emissions because someone smoked a ■■■ in it once about five years ago, or you didn’t change your fluffy dice”.

Only a smoke test for diesels.

I never buy diesel, because the maintenance and repair liabilities outstripped the cheaper diesel consumption aspect even when Diesel fuel was once upon a time cheaper than petrol. :wink:

Stop buying £400 ones then. My last Mondeo I bought at 90,000 miles, sold at 165,000 miles and I did 75,000 miles in it. In all that time other than servicing it had rear subframe bushes, a brake caliper, an alternator and a plastic pipe for the intercooler. My current one is on 118,000 miles and I bought it at 38,000 miles. Other than normal servicing its had two bushes and a bonnet cable (manufacturer recall). So in a total of 155,000 miles of running diesel cars I’ve had absolutely nothing that has had to be done because it was a diesel.

Conor:

Winseer:

Only a smoke test for diesels.

Stop buying £400 ones then. My last Mondeo I bought at 90,000 miles, sold at 165,000 miles and I did 75,000 miles in it. In all that time other than servicing it had rear subframe bushes, a brake caliper, an alternator and a plastic pipe for the intercooler. My current one is on 118,000 miles and I bought it at 38,000 miles. Other than normal servicing its had two bushes and a bonnet cable (manufacturer recall). So in a total of 155,000 miles of running diesel cars I’ve had absolutely nothing that has had to be done because it was a diesel.

You describe the same experiences I’ve had with Petrol, funny enough. I bought my current Y reg for £400, and replaced the brake caliper since I brought it last summer. The only worry I have in MOTs are the Emissions CO and CN rather than SO2 like one worries about with Diesel. The mileage is 107k though, and it smokes very little. So fingers crossed. If you pay more - you don’t necesssarily get what you pay for, so I intend carrying on paying less, and hoping I get lucky one day and get a £400 car that lasts me for years and years…

My previous mondeo was written off by a drunk boy racer when there was nothing otherwise wrong with it. Another one failed MOT on emissions, but it smoked a lot too, and yet another one had the suspension go which I fixed once for £hundreds, but then had it go wrong for the 2nd year’s MOT, so I got rid of that one. I do like Mondeos though, as the car tends to fall to bits around a heart and engine of gold otherwise!

kr79:
I trust all the self employed captain of industury ltd company drivers especially the ones that work for one company all year round will be putting there rates up to cover these changes.

How can someone working for just one company claim to be self employed?? To be self employed you need income from more than one source…

AndrewG:

kr79:

How can someone working for just one company claim to be self employed?? To be self employed you need income from more than one source…

Ssshhhh. You’ll start off the brolly wallys :laughing: