Southern Italy

Hi anybody know of any companies running southern italy on a regular basis that are taking on drivers.Cheers. :smiley:

I think s&k from barry would be your best bet living in bristol or maybe pulleyn in reading area :question: :question:

Why do you wanna do Italy? The insurance companies are still of the opinion there’s still a hijacking problem in Italy. S&K run euroland, allegedly they’re known as “Skint and knackered”, no idea if that rep still fits them, but they had good looking kit last I saw them. Also not seen them weekended, which may influence your decision.

where does that info come from allikat, i did italy for years and never had a problem, as far as i’m concerned theres nowt wrong with italy that you dont get elsewhere.
my insurance company didn’t want anymore for going there than anywhere else in europe.

allikat:
Why do you wanna do Italy? The insurance companies are still of the opinion there’s still a hijacking problem in Italy. S&K run euroland, allegedly they’re known as “Skint and knackered”, no idea if that rep still fits them, but they had good looking kit last I saw them. Also not seen them weekended, which may influence your decision.

why would insurance companies influence the driver wanting to do italy?can he not just like doing italy?i have met s&k drivers in campo and seemed happy enough and the kit was getting fresher that they drove.also would you be down in italy or spain to see if they were w/ended there,and maybe that also wouldnt influence this man who just asked was anyone taking on drivers for italian work in particular southern italy.

Italy is no more of a risk than anywhere else

There is more chance of one of my trailers being broken into or stolen in England or Belgium than there is in Italy.

It all harks back to the days when we cleared customs.

Then the Customs/Mafia knew what was on a specific trailer.

How else can you explain (I am going back to about '79 now)two Leggett European trailers being side by side in central customs Milan, and only the one loaded with washing machines gets knicked.
The groupage trailer was left alone!

Its just the insurance companies using it as an excuse to either charge extra for cover or to wriggle out of a claim.

Thats a company point of view.

The employed driver point of view should be that it makes no difference whether you are in Carisio, Calais or Croydon, you use your loaf!

some drivers have a preference of where they like to run,some very pro spain for example,but i always liked italy,and touch wood never had a problem.now holland is a different story… :confused:

You can`t Southern Italy LEGAL without being weekended so why mention :question:

Now why would you want to go to Southern Italy, let me think, could it be the lack of traffic, warm weather, nice scenery, decent food, good wine, cold Peroni & very friendly people, yeah I know it gets cold in the winter & you have to run the gauntlett through France to get there, Naples & Bari are pretty dangerous places if you havent got your head screwed on but all in all its a ■■■■ sight better than going up & down the M1 in a green volvo wearing a yellow T shirt :exclamation:

I`ve been to most countries in Europe & Scandinavia but did Italy solid for 10yrs & never had a problem, met a lot of nice people & put on a few pounds :open_mouth: it was deffo my favourite place to go, If the job was still the same now as it was back in the 80s & 90s I would still be doing it now.

Good luck mate & have a few Peronis for me when you get down there :laughing:

Sounds like Italy has improved, I still hear all the tales, but yeah, the nasty stuff has spread out all over europe. Got my curtain cut in Waldlaubersheim the other week.
Well, perhaps the reason I don’t see S&K weekended is because they’re doing it in sunnier climes than I end up in :laughing: I spend a lot of time in Krautland, which would explain it, since they transit via france.

newmercman:
You can`t Southern Italy LEGAL without being weekended so why mention :question:

Now why would you want to go to Southern Italy, let me think, could it be the lack of traffic, warm weather, nice scenery, decent food, good wine, cold Peroni & very friendly people, yeah I know it gets cold in the winter & you have to run the gauntlett through France to get there, Naples & Bari are pretty dangerous places if you havent got your head screwed on but all in all its a ■■■■ sight better than going up & down the M1 in a green volvo wearing a yellow T shirt :exclamation:

I`ve been to most countries in Europe & Scandinavia but did Italy solid for 10yrs & never had a problem, met a lot of nice people & put on a few pounds :open_mouth: it was deffo my favourite place to go, If the job was still the same now as it was back in the 80s & 90s I would still be doing it now.

Good luck mate & have a few Peronis for me when you get down there :laughing:

Hi guys thanks for the replys but let me explain a bit more. me and my partner have just bought a house in southern italy, she wants to do a bit of B&B, if i can get a job in or covering southern italy the plan is to move over there now. otherwise we will have to wait for the new year. yeah you guessed it, we dont want to wait its a differant world. our house is in the country and it one of the most peacfull and beautifull places ive seen. anyone got any info on E.M. Rogers?? have heard they cover the area??

ITALY.
Now that’s a place where they knew how to hijack a truck.
All they wanted was the load and not your gear.
Probably the nicest hijackings in the EU. :laughing:

allikat:
Sounds like Italy has improved, I still hear all the tales, but yeah, the nasty stuff has spread out all over europe. Got my curtain cut in Waldlaubersheim the other week.
Well, perhaps the reason I don’t see S&K weekended is because they’re doing it in sunnier climes than I end up in :laughing: I spend a lot of time in Krautland, which would explain it, since they transit via france.

no it doesnt sound like italy has improved,it is pretty much as it has been for years just as the drivers that have been doing italy have been explaining.also possible to run across some drivers going or coming back from italy around munich in germany for example,if they transited austria.

i did italy for 20years and never had a problem except for the hangovers.
never got robbed or hijacked.
i have heard belguim is the place now,but had no problems there either.
i think theres a lot of talk that we should ignore.
it could happen in any country.

i have never had a problem anywhere no matter what country i have been in, i think if you park somewhere safe you will be ok, the trouble is that to many drivers start talking about loads etc when they have had to many shandys and they dont know who is listening thats when they get into trouble.

I would sooner park anywhere in italy han in a layby on the A14/A1/A5 etc etc