Sorry Guys

It’s different now to when i did it because of the CPC. It cost me 2 grandish to get both licenses, but i’ve seen £3000 being mentioned on here with the addition of the CPC!

You can not guarantee that you will pass first time so obviously there is no definitive answer.Savings can be made with the cost of medicals and I’m sure that reading materials and dvd’s will be available on ebay.There are quite a few mock theory tests online to gain confidence.There comes a point in your training when if it’s not going to plan you might think that you are throwing good money after bad but you would have already made quite an investment at that point so my advice would be to stick with it.Save up a bit more than you think you’ll need before you start then worst case scenario you can finance a retest straight away.If you leave a retest too long you may find that you need an extra “Catch up” lesson to bring you back up to date.Compare schools,prices vary.Will any give a discount if you commit to doing C+E with them later?

This is what it cost me to get to class 2. I passed first time (so you have to take into account that a re-test plus the truck and accompanying instructor is going to cost the thick end of £300). I didn’t get any training for the theory test as I just studied the DSA’s CD ROM which was perfectly adequate.

DSA Theory Test CD ROM (bought online via WHSmith althought you might get a second hand one on e-bay for less) £20.64
Hazard Perception DVD ( ") £11.19
Medical (with driver medicals, probably the cheapest around) £49.00
Theory Test £35.00
HPT £15.00
Practical Training ( for me 4 days plus test on the 5th day) £977.50*

Total £1108.33. I expect to be paying a similar amount for Class 1 although obviously there’s no further medical or theory test costs.

On the practical training side, you’ll see all kind of amazing offers from marketing companies that are well debated on here. The reality is that to get your Class 2 will cost around a £1,000 minimum and that assumes that you don’t have to do the initial CPC (i.e you have acquired rights because you passed you car test before 1997), if not, then this could add on another £400.

C-Kay:
but i’ve seen £3000 being mentioned on here with the addition of the CPC!

I mentioned that figure of £3K for C & CE as an amount to have ready just in case… but most will not spend that.

I shopped around and did the initial induction with a largeish training company who did the medical etc for a one off fee and got an hours tuition in with it (£80). They wanted to sign me up for a weeks tuition. I said i would think about and went with a guy who would do raining by the by the hour.
I think I did quite well. Did class2 for £400 all in, two years ago. C+E, in August this year for double that and reckon if I had not had a gap of three months between some of the lessons, I could have done it for a bit less. Just got to wait two years now before the company insurances will let me actally use the C+E.