Soft top Roadtrain

Currently for sale on that auction site.

ebay link The original front panel seems to have disappeared.

Thanks for the link, I can’t operate this technology!

How is that a road train?? It looks like a tractor unit to me.

FarnboroughBoy11:

roadtrain was the model!!! probably a bit before your time :exclamation: :exclamation: scammel used the same cab as well for a while :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Colingl:
ebay link The original front panel seems to have disappeared.

i would of said that was a different one, not the same cab even the side panels are different :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

wildfire:

FarnboroughBoy11:

roadtrain was the model!!! probably a bit before your time :exclamation: :exclamation: scammel used the same cab as well for a while :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Oh right, sorry lol yes was before my time. I was expecting to see a convertible truck in Australia with about 5 trailers on!!

wildfire:

FarnboroughBoy11:

roadtrain was the model!!!

So named, so it was said, because you would go “out by road and back by train” :wink:

Harry Monk:

wildfire:

FarnboroughBoy11:

roadtrain was the model!!!

So named, so it was said, because you would go “out by road and back by train” :wink:

lol brilliant!

Looks like it’s been involved in a crash and the fire brigade have cut the roof off.

when i first started driving i remember seeing this truck parked up at the leyland truck factory in leyland were i use to deliver,it must have been around 1988ish,it had a brownish hood.to be honest back then it looked ■■■■■■

There was a soft top Roadtrain that was used on some of the racing circuits, white cab and Union Jack or red white and blue, for some reason I think it was called Gertie, the transport museum at Coventry has (had?) it in their collection when I went a few years ago. A quick google shows Gertie was a racer but I’m sure the parade motor was a soft top Roadtrain, (T45).

One great plus point for the soft top though, it got rid of that panel round the slots for radio and CB that you ALWAYS bashed your bonedome on, every one in our fleet had a little skull shaped “v” in that panel.

Its the same cab, but was remounted on a newer chassis when the old one was beyond repair and the front panel swopped over from the other cab

Am i going crazy. I seem to have a memory from probably 15 years ago or more of a Leyland Roadtrain unit that had been turned into a convertible / soft top. I also seem to think it was up and down the M6.

Can anybody put me out of my misery.

this topic was covered recently, and iirc, it was re-cabbed back to standard

i could do a search on here, but i can’t be arsed :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

just a quick use of the search function within the forum revealed this :unamused:

SORRY LADS.

I am sitting in tescos and the mind has now gone numb.

shuttlespanker:
and iirc, it was re-cabbed back to standard

This comes up from time to time in CVC magazine, it’s apparently still a soft top
but needing restoration as it’s in a pretty bad state. Not sure where it actually is though.

Yep, I started the thread myself, some good links here…

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38989