Snow

I find this all so amusing :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
A couple of weeks ago I left my house to get to NYC (240 miles away) and it was snowing quite hard, bt the time I got on the interstate it was about 4 - 5 inches deep even with an empty and extremely light tank behind me I still sat at 55 mph, if it had been loaded it would have been 66mph, when everyone slows up thats what causes the problems … and don’t tell me it’s a different thing over here cos you are wrong !
December 1993 myself and Hopscotch started at Penrith truck stop in 6 inces of the stuff and empty trailers, we drove down southbound at 50 - 60 mph without even the slightest slip up and even pulled into the middle lane to pass a line of scaredy cats doing 25 - 30 mph and causing chaos, some of them were lorry drivers but the one at the front was a cop with his blue lights flashing, when you have a job to do get on with it, so long as the truck moves then keep going because slowing up or stopping is the worse thing you can do… and take no notice of anyone who tells you not to use the engine brake :exclamation: when a wheel locks if you engine brake comes on in the snow then only that wheel locks, the rest keep turning and you have some control, when all your wheels lock due to braking you have no control, 11 years of driving in snow has taught me this, 36 years of driving truck all over has taught me more.

Pat Hasler:
when you have a job to do get on with it, so long as the truck moves then keep going because slowing up or stopping is the worse thing you can do…

Yep you need a certain ammount of momentum to get up hills, can’t do it at a crawl.

Pat Hasler:
and take no notice of anyone who tells you not to use the engine brake :exclamation: when a wheel locks if you engine brake comes on in the snow then only that wheel locks, the rest keep turning and you have some control, when all your wheels lock due to braking you have no control, 11 years of driving in snow has taught me this, 36 years of driving truck all over has taught me more.

Every year it’s posted on here not to use the engine brakes, but I’ve heard from others in North America that they use them. I’ll turn off the auto brake control, but will use engine brakes with care, if I feel it losing grip then off it goes.
But I’d never consider myself any sort of expert at driving in the snow, just take it easy and try and feel how the truck is handling.

redbob:
You have to laugh at the Southerners, we’ve had terrible weather up here for weeks and there hasn’t been a murmer. A few flakes darn sarf and it’s Sky News Headlines!!! :laughing: :laughing:

It’s “dahn sahth” actually my good man. :sunglasses:

Yarksheer.
“Vohht Lehbah. Pleez!” :unamused:

I dont come from, or live in London, but people say I sound like I do. :slight_smile:
I’ll just call you “yarkeh” even if you live on the wrung saahd ov mahnchesta. :grimacing:

Mind you, in Lancs do Labour have more chance of getting a seat than a deaf kid playing “musical chairs” as is the case in places like Haltemprice? :question:

Pat Hasler:
A couple of weeks ago I left my house to get to NYC (240 miles away) and it was snowing quite hard, bt the time I got on the interstate it was about 4 - 5 inches deep even with an empty and extremely light tank behind me I still sat at 55 mph, if it had been loaded it would have been 66mph, when everyone slows up thats what causes the problems … and don’t tell me it’s a different thing over here cos you are wrong !
December 1993 myself and Hopscotch started at Penrith truck stop in 6 inces of the stuff and empty trailers, we drove down southbound at 50 - 60 mph without even the slightest slip up and even pulled into the middle lane to pass a line of scaredy cats doing 25 - 30 mph and causing chaos, some of them were lorry drivers but the one at the front was a cop with his blue lights flashing, when you have a job to do get on with it, so long as the truck moves then keep going because slowing up or stopping is the worse thing you can do… and take no notice of anyone who tells you not to use the engine brake :exclamation: when a wheel locks if you engine brake comes on in the snow then only that wheel locks, the rest keep turning and you have some control, when all your wheels lock due to braking you have no control, 11 years of driving in snow has taught me this, 36 years of driving truck all over has taught me more.

Rapid acceleration and deceleration are the things responsible for nearly all casulties on the roads. Pile ups that have occured in this country over the years are invariably because someone like you ploughed into some “scardy cats” that were not going as fast as you might expect or like. Don’t matter. As professionals we’re supposed to know that other people’s standard of driving doesn’t allow for ploughing through at top speed as if that were the very acme of a good driver.

There is no “greater good” in risking lives just to make some haulier a more efficient profit for not hanging around, or make yourself more time by getting home half and hour earlier. :neutral_face:

If visibility is poor and/or the road creates a significantly longer stopping distance, then you don’t drive at top speed - ever.
As a rule of thumb, if it takes you 400 yards to pull up, then I want a 400 yard gap in front of me at all times. If I can’t see that far on the road ahead because of drizzle, snow, fog, or just some cars in the idiot space, then I’ll slow down because it’s the right thing to do.

As for the USA, well 10-12 times as many road deaths compared to only 4 times the population, despite all that extra space to move around in? My guess is most USA deaths are caused by accidents other than collisions between 2 vehicles, unlike the UK where proximity is a huge factor. :frowning:

bubsy06:
These are the bad boys you need, studded tyres

Are you sure some farmer didn’t give you both barrels, and you ran over the pellets? :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I think the foreign drivers go home and make jokes about the British being unable to cope with a light covering of snow :stuck_out_tongue:

Snow Patrol.jpg
Flip Flops :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :laughing:

Here’s a question…

IF, you’re on a 3 lane m/way, in heavy snow - everyone’s hanging onto each others tail lights only in lane 1, and so makes lane 2 AND 3 empty with snow on that hasn’t been driven on.

Would you use lane 3 (I know HGV’s a no-no), but if a vehicle drives better on untouched snow, why not??

Just made me think when Pat posted this…

Pat Hasler:

Extreme conditions - extreme measures perhaps?? :confused:

Goldfinger:
Here’s a question…

IF, you’re on a 3 lane m/way, in heavy snow - everyone’s hanging onto each others tail lights only in lane 1, and so makes lane 2 AND 3 empty with snow on that hasn’t been driven on.

Would you use lane 3 (I know HGV’s a no-no), but if a vehicle drives better on untouched snow, why not??

I always do and then get fists waved at me and I guess abuse shouted at me, but I can’t hear that because I am away while they are still ■■■■■■■ about.

I agree you do drive better on untouched snow but i d also say anything more than 4 inches and your drive axle starts twitching.

Driving isnt really the problem its when you bloody need to stop thats the problem, roundabouts etc lorries should be allowed to drive through. That bad winter we had the other year the amount of lights i drove through and roundabouts just blasting the horn cause i knew if i stopped i was a goner.

I wonder how many complaints the company got that year :laughing:

merc0447:
I agree you do drive better on untouched snow but i d also say anything more than 4 inches and your drive axle starts twitching.

Driving isnt really the problem its when you bloody need to stop thats the problem, roundabouts etc lorries should be allowed to drive through. That bad winter we had the other year the amount of lights i drove through and roundabouts just blasting the horn cause i knew if i stopped i was a goner.

I wonder how many complaints the company got that year :laughing:

I just sat at the bottom of the any hills till i had a clear run to the top. It seemed to annoy the cars behind me, but trying to explain my reasons for doing so seemed to go over their heads. That 5 mis sitting behind me at the bottom probably saved them and myself hours being stuck half way up a hill. :unamused:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:
I think the foreign drivers go home and make jokes about the British being unable to cope with a light covering of snow :stuck_out_tongue:

I think they are trainers :wink:

Al

scantheman:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

Al

I know but a quick glance and they look like flip flops. :stuck_out_tongue:

Winseer:

redbob:
You have to laugh at the Southerners, we’ve had terrible weather up here for weeks and there hasn’t been a murmer. A few flakes darn sarf and it’s Sky News Headlines!!! :laughing: :laughing:

Yarksheer.

I dont come from, or live in London, but people say I sound like I do. :slight_smile:
I’ll just call you “yarkeh” even if you live on the wrung saahd ov mahnchesta. :grimacing:

Mind you, in Lancs do Labour have more chance of getting a seat than a deaf kid playing “musical chairs” as is the case in places like Haltemprice? :question:

Gentlemen Farmers and Satanic Mill Owners you see :laughing:

Coffeeholic:

scantheman:

Coffeeholic:

Wheel Nut:

Al

I know but a quick glance and they look like flip flops. :stuck_out_tongue:

That is another thing with the DCPC

Wheel Nut:

Winseer:

redbob:

Yarksheer.

Gentlemen Farmers and Satanic Mill Owners you see :laughing:

Mr “Dark Satanic” (Michael) Mills was one of our old schoolteachers! He came from Derbyshire though, so I dunno if that counts. :smiley: :laughing: