Sleeping while driving

news.sky.com/skynews/article/0, … 71,00.html

wasnt there a thread on here a few weeks ago about sleep apnoea.

jessicas dad:
The Latest News from the UK and Around the World | Sky News

wasnt there a thread on here a few weeks ago about sleep apnoea.

There was , but if i recal corrctly most who had it knew they had it. The guy in your link didn’t know what happened? Not sure what the connection is with sleep apnea is?

here is a quote from the link mike.

“The trial heard how King suffers from sleep apnoea, a respiratory condition which disrupts sleep and can cause drowsiness”

jessicas dad:
here is a quote from the link mike.

“The trial heard how King suffers from sleep apnoea, a respiratory condition which disrupts sleep and can cause drowsiness”

I must of nodded off myself to miss that :smiley: I think if i killed someone by falling asleep that i would not admit to having sleep apnea, not that i have. It looks worse on him, he knows he can be drowsy and still drives?

If you suffer from MILD to MODERATE osa, then neither you or your doc have to inform the authorities
Mild to moderate is apparently stopping breathing for approx 10 occaisions during a normal nights sleep.
Should this increase to approx 13 occassions then the authorities should be informed.
Knowing that you suffer from it should make you extra aware of when you are getting tired and you should have time to pull over.

I don’t think the driver in question had ever actually been diagnosed with Sleep Aponea. In fact I’m sure I read somewhere else that he hadn’t.

As to the question as to whether he should have been driving while feeling drowsy, this is a case of “let he who is innocent etc…”

If this accident had happened on the railway, Her Majesty’s Inspector would have concluded that the law permitted the train driver to have driven for too long with insufficient breaks and rest, rather than just putting the driver in prison and awaiting the inevitable next train crash.