Now theres a shock!

Remember THIS THREAD :question:

They have just had a trail for next weeks “Real Story” Monday BBC1 7.30

and the voice over■■?

“The Real Story… THE SLEEP DISORDER THAT CAN MAKE LORRY DRIVERS KILLERS

How come I am not the slightest bit surprised ■■?

:imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp:

You could of course if you wish take up their offer…

Grace Productions:
Please call Bethan on 01935 410566 or Lynn on 07736 412349 for a chat

I certainly will be expressing my … errr… " sorrow " that they chose to sensationalise in this manner on the telephone tomorrow… :imp:

Public Service Broadcasting at it’s Best.

[zb]'ing predictable [zb]'s

this post has been edited by myself in order to set a good example to my fellow members :wink:

This has made the headline in Transport news brief from the SMMT

This is an e-mail news service that goes to 28,000 subscribers

Transport News Brief:
73% of truckers don’t trust the BBC

TruckNet reports that it was recently approached by firm trying to make a programme
on tired truck drivers. ‘Grace Productions called TruckNet UK as we get over
40,000 visitors a month to www.trucknetuk.com and they wanted to talk to the users
of our forums,’ says Rikki Chequer. The firm says it has a commission from the
BBC to do a programme on the effects of sleep apnoea, the condition where breathing
temporarily stops and interrupts sleep, causing tiredness. The condition has many
causes, with sedentary and overweight people more at risk. ‘We agreed to help
but 73% of the drivers who replied to their initial request for information about
driving trucks while tired refused to take part in the poll, saying they didn’t
trust the BBC. They fear that any programme will be sensationalist and unfair, with
many citing a recent BBC Radio 4 programme which ran a very slanted item on trucks
working illegally in North Wales.’

Source www.smmt.co.uk

This is an e-mail news service that goes to 28,000 subscribers

err, that’d be 27,999 + me then :laughing:

Lets see what it is like. If it is as bad as we expect, why don’t we all phone Bethan or Lynn and inform them that we refuse to deliver or collect anything in regards to Grace Productions and that the word will be spread among the other drivers?

Our publicly-funded sensation-mongers at their very best.

Rikki… I’m not trying to tell you how to run this site, but considering this crock of ■■■■ maybe it might be a good idea to point blank refuse all those ‘researchers’ who come here wanting to find things out for their own ends? You could always point them in the direction of those ■■■■■ responsible for this ‘killer drivers’ programme, if any researcher/journo would like to know the reason why they’re knocked back.

How about waiting until you’ve actually /seen/ the programme before sticking the hatchet in? :bulb:

MrFlibble:
How about waiting until you’ve actually /seen/ the programme before sticking the hatchet in? :bulb:

Well said that man :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

simon

MrFlibble:

But how many people won’t watch it, but just see the headline,

THE SLEEP DISORDER THAT CAN MAKE LORRY DRIVERS KILLERS and that’s all they need to reinforce their opinion of lorry drivers being a danger.
Also what about all the others who suffer from this problem who are working as maybe Air Traffic Controllers, Train Drivers or just driving to work. Doesn’t this problem make them possible killers also.

I have no problem with the BBC highlighting Sleep Aponea
I also have no problem with them pointing out that sleep aponea can affect truck drivers as much as any one else

I do have a problem that to create a sensationilist headline they choose truck drivers and label them as killers.
As pointed out above many other professions rely on being totally alert, and many other jobs can , if a mistake is made, cause large scale death and injury

Why are Truck drivers singled out?

because we are an easy target!!

If you are happy to be singled out as the only profession that kills through sleep aponea then so be it… I am not

This programme could have been made and the trail could have simply said… the Sleep disorder that can kill

and they could have encompassed many trades/professions where this sleep disorder can cause a problem.

But they havent trailed the programme that way.
to create a stir and play on the already existing predujices against Truck Drivers they have chosen to trail it as
THE SLEEP DISORDER THAT CAN MAKE LORRY DRIVERS KILLERS

To me that is unacceptable…

I dont know the content of the programme itself, although I will be watching closely, but I suspect from the tone of the trail it wont make us. or our industry in a good light :cry:

hopefully if im seen as a potential killer by other road users they might think twice about cutting me up and speeding up when i have my indicators on to overtake in order not to let me…■■■■■ :angry: :angry: :imp: :imp:

Somehow i doubt it :unamused:

You don’t need BBC for that :laughing:
A Cigaret could be enough

MrFlibble:

What, you really expect something which has already been announced with the voice-over “THE SLEEP DISORDER THAT CAN MAKE LORRY DRIVERS KILLERS” is going to be a fair, considered study? Get real. As someone else has pointed out, many people won’t watch the programme but will hear this voice-over plugging it. Do you really think that Mr and Mrs Average will think “hmmm… let’s wait until we’ve seen the programme before deciding”? Of course they won’t. :wink:

well maby they should do 1 about “White Van Man " or Mr Sales Rep” as these are govened by domestic driving laws ( which not may know or adhere to )which is 10 hrs per day although no set rest periods

think these drivers are more of a risk to themselves and everyone eles, not the lorry driver

just my opinion

Grace Prductions HAVE logged onto to these forums,

But it seems they dont want to justify the sensationalist approach the trail for the programme has taken…

I would like to think it is because they are embarrased/ashamed… but I doubt it somehow :cry:

Killer in the Cab

Killer In The Cab
Monday 21 November 2005
1930 GMT, BBC One
There are around 500,000 active HGV drivers on Britain’s roads, according to the Department for Transport.

Hundreds of thousands more drivers hold the same license to drive goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.

Real Story reveals that an alarming percentage of them could suffer from a common sleep disorder which, if left untreated, could lead to potentially fatal road accidents.
We discover why some truck drivers who suspect they may have the condition are to frightened too come forward.
Treatment for Obstructive Sleep Apnoea is not funded in some parts of the country, while in many others there are long waiting lists.

Real Story shows the full extent of this disorder and the devastation it can cause if left untreated or a diagnosis is ignored.

We feature the families whose lives have been torn apart following accidents caused by HGV drivers suddenly falling asleep at the wheel.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/r … 446970.stm

Related Links
from the same page

RELATED INTERNET LINKS:
Sleep Apnoea Trust Association
GRACE Productions
European Respiratory Journal
DVLA
THINK! Road Safety
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

funny that this and the other thread on here is not included

or perhaps deliberate because what truck drivers actually say about this doesnt fit with the sensationalist journalism these, supposedly unbiased ,reporters are putting out as facts

If you want to ask the editors of this programme any questions about the approach they are taking.

Or even why the research that Grace Productions did on this website is not linked off the Real strory website… then you can very quickly and easily do so here
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/r … 237653.stm

I nearly choked on my brew, just sat here coming to terms with another week at work, and on bbc news they just mentioned tonights programme, apparently it is because lorry drivers are fat gits that is why they suffer from it more, don’t know if i will manage to watch it probably not will not be able to stay awake :smiling_imp:

If anyone hasn’t already heard the story on the news here’s a link to the relevant BBC web page.

Crashes caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel account for around one-fifth of accidents on Britain’s motorways.

But no mention of how many involved HGV drivers.