URGENT: Falling asleep at the wheel?

Scared of losing your licence if you tell someone?

We are making a BBC1 Real Story documentary looking at sleepiness and sleep apnoea amongst Britain’s lorry drivers. We know there are many lorry drivers out there who may have this problem, but DON’T want to go to their doctor or their employer, because they are afraid of losing their jobs.

If you are worried about how sleepy you are when you drive, we’d like to hear from you in confidence.

Please call Bethan on 01935 410566 or Lynn on 07736 412349 for a chat and we promise you complete anonymity.

One driver, Ron, took years to get help with his sleepiness:

"I am an agency lorry driver living in the Birmingham area. I suffer from a condition known as sleep apnoea, which means I snore at night, stop breathing for several seconds and then start breathing again. This can happen hundreds of times throughout the night. The next day I feel sleepy, which is obviously very dangerous as a professional driver. It took 15 years for me to be diagnosed but now I am on treatment and feel great and have continued with my job. I’m convinced this is a hidden problem affecting many, many lorry drivers. "

I do hope you can help. We look forward to hearing drivers’ experiences.

Post has permission. L.

Poll edited by Rikki to add another option: “I refuse to take part in this poll, as I have no confidence that the results will be used in a fair manner”

We are making a BBC1 Real Story documentary looking at sleepiness and sleep apnoea amongst Britain’s lorry drivers

This would be the same BBC that just did a hatchet job on our industry claiming that 50% of HGV’s were running illegally? and forgetting to mention that the vehicles that were pulled were in fact targetted vehicles and mainly foreign,

I can see the Radio Times Listing now.

The Hidden menace of Britains Trucks
How tired truck drivers are endangering your life

An in depth expose of the state of truck drivers health, and how many are driving illegally while suffering the effects of Sleep Aponea.

Of course there will be no mention that the vast majority of truck drivers do not suffer from sleep aponea, and are far more likely to be tired due to the complete lack of proper facilities on most towns for overnighting drivers, causing them to be forced to sleep in lay bys and industrial estates inches away from passing traffic.

Sorry even if I suffered from sleep aponea I wouldnt take part in this documentry, simply because I dont trust the programme makers to show a true and balanced view of the industry.

I don’t feel tired an more than any other driver of any other vehicle. The difference is that as a Professional, as soon as I begin to feel tired I stop and have a break .

However, if an overtired amateur car driver with no regard for anyone’s safety drives into me, you can bet your life the media will blame the truck.

I gather this is for the BBC. After their recent spectacularly slanted and downright innaccurate radio programme where they concluded that 50% of HGVs in this country are running illegally, but failed to mention that the Authorities concerned were based at a checkpoint run specifically to examine FOREIGN[/i] trucks on what is one of the main through-routes from Ireland to Continental Europe, I would no more trust the BBC than I would leave my children with the dog as a childminder for three days.
You’re not after a “Britain’s Truck Drivers Are Dangerous” type headline, are you…MUCH[/i] :confused:

AS a note I also have edited the poll to add another option, as I am sure that if more than 50% of respondants on the poll said they have at some time felt tired while driving this will also be quoted as

“Most truck drivers polled admitted to driving when tired”

Instead members have the opportunity now to decline to answer if they feel the information will not be used in a fair manner

I feel tired/sleepy, I stop.

It’s not rocket science.

BTW, the - I Feel Tired/Sleepy, I Stop - approach applies to everything I do, not just driving.

Rikki-UK:
Of course there will be no mention that the vast majority of truck drivers do not suffer from sleep aponea, and are far more likely to be tired due to the complete lack of proper facilities on most towns for overnighting drivers, causing them to be forced to sleep in lay bys and industrial estates inches away from passing traffic.

Sorry even if I suffered from sleep aponea I wouldnt take part in this documentry, simply because I dont trust the programme makers to show a true and balanced view of the industry.

My feelings entirely Rikki.

:angry:
I see it’s “Kick the Lorrydriver” time again from yet another lot of media luvvies. :unamused:

As for the information gained being used in a fair and balanced / non -sensationalist way towards our profession :- No chance whatsoever.

( And I speak as someone who has been driving HGVs for over 30 years. ) :frowning:

Big Joe:

Rikki-UK:

My feelings entirely Rikki.

Totally agree.

Until the BBC or any TV channel agrees to do a fair and unknocking documentary on drivers.

When they agree that the foreign trucks coming UK taking all the work and paying no road tax then I would take part in their survey.

I would quite happily help you with your show but i would probably fall asleep, :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: .

Why dont you do a show about the neccessities (sp) lorries on the roads and ALL the goods they deliver daily and bring to the attention of the great British public just how much they actually need us, and the conditions we have to work in.

If you were to do it that way you would probably find evereyone on the board only too happy to help you.

never at the wheel, but i do sometimes fall asleep when watching the bbc :wink:

Grace Productions:
If you are worried about how sleepy you are when you drive, we’d like to hear from you in confidence.

Please call Bethan on 01935 410566 or Lynn on 07736 412349 for a chat and we promise you complete anonymity.

You DID ask permission from the forum admins before posting this just like the other media inbreed didn’t?

Grace Productions:
Post has permission. L.

Poll edited by Rikki to add another option: “I refuse to take part in this poll, as I have no confidence that the results will be used in a fair manner”

Don’t think your scrutiny is up to your usual standard today Conor :slight_smile:

Salut, David.

As it stands at the moment:

Never 12% [ 3 ]
Once or twice a week 8% [ 2 ]
Once a day day 4% [ 1 ]

you can just see the headlines.

HALF OF ALL TRUCK DRIVERS TIRED AT THE WHEEL

Which is why I would never trust these things, especially when they are from/for the Biased Broadcasting Company.

This is the problem Neil. The way it gets put over in a tabloid sensational way. It’s a serious business and Ive been in the job long enough to know whats what when it comes to tired, so im not going to take the ■■■■.

But, I invite the producers to take a different view. Lets talk about parking, yes, places where we can park our 44 tonners and get some shut-eye! And what a load of ■■■■■■■ Blair and his predecessors in toilet-talking have done about it, namely, sweet F.A!

Drivers neede ameneties, maybe that would be something that might just help them be less tired, what do you think Grace Prods?

I,ve got a better idea for a mockumentary…
How about putting discreet camera’s on a unit and trailer being used day and night and watch the result’s …
I.e the appaling state of driving on our roads today …
I,m sure there would be quite some spectacular footage . Maybe even the police could use some of the footage to prosecute …
But then again that isn’t sensational is it !because it doesn’t single out a particular user group that is already looked down on by the public …

I managed to get caught up in the great british drive to work this morning …
I work perm night’s , but i didnt get away from my last tip til 0545AM i,m normally going home then . ( from sheffield to burton )
Oh my god the M1 was quite a revelation considering i havent witnessed this kind of driving in 5 year’s …
Undertaking / lane swooping / Poor HGV driver’s being held out in the middle lane by the very car’s and van’s he has moved over to let them join and he / she is repayed by all of them undertaking … Christ a blow out in those circumstance’s would be a disaster . But the hgv driver would be blamed never mind everyone else undertaking it …
Lane swerving on roundabout’s to gain that extra inch of ground , Swooping from the outer lane missing 44t vehicles by inches and hard swerving across the chevrons to miss the approaching barrier’s to get off at a junction …Nevermind the other driver’s already on the slip road :confused:
Overtaking right upto the 100yd marker and then trying to force a space so they can get off … :unamused:
Lines of vehicles travelling way above the speed limit tailgateing , flashing light’s …

I thought any minute now i,m going to see mel gibson ala Mad Max !!! ploughing through …Or maybe i had already seen dozen’s of mad maxe’s but in a more modern guise …

Chuffing hell i didnt see a soap box but i appear to have stood on one …
:laughing:

Coffeeholic:

Never 12% [ 3 ]
Once a day day 4% [ 1 ]

Which is why I would never trust these things, especially when they are from/for the Biased Broadcasting Company.

Five hours on and the poll is now looking a little different. :wink:

It’s ‘scandal,shock & horror’ that ups the TV ratings; truth/facts very rarely win the ratings wars and so it’s not suprising that virtually none of the respondents so far have had any positive comments to post.

Taking into account the BBC’s track record, you [Grace Productions] can’t expect much cooperation from our industry and it’s members. I’m glad that the TNUK Admin gave you the space to post this request, if only as an opportunity for ‘drivers’ to express themselves outsiders. You can see that there is enough strong feeling and passion about many isssues related to the transport industry; make a documentry about those as you would be overwhelmed with research material and data!

I’m sure that your research into accident data will have clearly shown you where the blame for the majority of accidents lies, including sleep related accidents. It’s certainly not amongst the vast majority of subscribers to this site but you could find them quite easily…unless you are intent on making just another blinkered and biased “big, dirty, noisy, speeding, trucks” knocking programme. :unamused: :unamused:

killsville:

Coffeeholic:

Never 12% [ 3 ]
Once a day day 4% [ 1 ]

Five hours on and the poll is now looking a little different. :wink:

Not that different
stil

:wink:

I personally object to taking part,as like everyone else has said,it’s going to be a free for all kicking at the industry.

But why stop at the truck driver?

How many drivers of company cars,do as many miles as a truck driver?

My best friend who has an 04 plate Mundano,and he has done nearly 51000 miles in it,since getting it.It’s not unusual for him to do a journey starting in Wakefield taking him to Swansea and back in a day,via another 3 or 4 stops to see clients,and then return home in an evening.

Now if that isn’t a recipe for disaster,then show me one that is.

I’ve told him to stop and take rest if he needs it,and he assures me he does,but I’m not so sure,and I can’t force him to do so,but I’ve known the guy the best part of 20 years,and would hate to lose him to a car accident,because he’s tired.

However.he’s fortunate enough to have an expense account with his company,and can use it to stop at a hotel if need be,but the average truck driver can’t just carry on once his times up,and has to stop where he is able to,and has been said,it can sometimes be a lay-by,hence a reason why some drivers may not get good proper quality sleep.

So might I suggest to you,the production company,broaden the spectrum of your intended programme,and include ALL drivers who use a company vehicle for a living,not just those who drive the largest.

I’ll get off me soapbox now. :wink:

Ken.