Shortage of drivers

Hello All,

My first post and i would like to know peoples thoughts on the Road Container Haulage industry at present?

I work for a large one in Tilbury and it seems it has gone mental for both Employed and Sub Contractors alike.

Regards Colin

The shortage is caused by crap pay and conditions.

If my son says he want’s to drive lorry’s I will explain to him why not to.

biggriffin:

Hmmm not so sure about that. There are well paid jobs out there if you are good enough and know the best way up the ladder.
Also my 20 year old daughter drives artics coaches and much more and she is fairly well paid especially for her age.
Is there really a shortage?
Probably a shortage of good drivers would be more accurate.

In my experience there is a shortage of work in the Road Container Haulage Industry at the moment, not drivers.

Or perhaps I’m just getting the crap runs for the past month or so.

Companies that pay well NEVER struggle to get drivers,only those that pay shot wages do…

Yes i left the HGV Agency game years ago as the rates and Quality of drivers was decreasing rapidly.

The CPC also took care of a quite a few drivers whom felt you could earn as much driving a Transit with less stress and aggro!

People coming into the industry often also end up working for companies who take liberties but know Newly passed drivers are keen to use there License.

No shortage of drivers, just a shortage of decent jobs imo

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hi Colin and welcome to TNUK.

I too work on containers and this time of year work picks up a lot due to crimbo round the corner.

Although to be fair throughout the year there’s always enough work to get me hours in.

If Brexit ever gets sorted and better trading agreements are made with our friends in distant countries I would anticipate box jockey work to increase.

Although like others I believe the driver shortage is a myth perpetuated by those with a not so well hidden agenda to keep wages down.
To be honest theres been a driver shortage since I started in the 90’s.

Any shortage at all normally shows itself at this time of year.

To be fair it isn’t just a shortage of good drivers in this country, it is a shortage of good anyone. I made my money from pole dancing and lap dancing in the 90s. Even in this industry you can now see the chancers, not moving in a fluid way on the pole, lack of smiling towards the punters etc, etc. Same with drivers, there is no fluidity in their driving and a definite lack of smiling. There is money to be earned in all areas if you are good enough with the right attitude. I pride myself in the fact that I was voted the number 1 lap dancer during my period of dancing, I am now driving where I move with the same grace as on a pole.

Hello Dave
I agree and like i said i used to run my own agency and never had any issues recruiting - however being based in Essex near many distribution sites i was always battling to keep guys looking to for a full time job.

We use Sub contractors as well as our own drivers and they are after long term working relationships as opposed to a quick fix short term deals that agencies sometimes use this time of the year!

I also agree the shortage is some what a created thing as it is like a rumour mill to make drivers feel insecure and not in a position to moan!

The only good thing is that more and more Newly passed are being given better opportunities and as the work increases and the need for this skill is required sooner or later the companies simply will have to play ball!

Regards

Colin

What there is a shortage of is trained experienced drivers and why would that be ? = because companies will not take on newbies and pay for the extra training to get them to experience standard

If there was a genuine shortage then companies would be recruiting newbies from the training schools

In my area there is an abundance of work for experienced class 1 drivers. Money isn’t the greatest but that goes with the area. You can throw your keys at the TM one day and walk into another job the next. If you are a new pass the choices are not so great, there are firms that will take new passes but this is down to them not been able to recruit experienced drivers. Until Haulage contractors start to take on new passes and willing to train them, then the situation will only get worse until they are forced to take on trainees. Agencies in my opinion are the worst thing that the haulage industry could have. They work for some but not for the many, bit like a reversed labour party policy.

Being based near a dock and more distribution centres in the UK per square mile there is lots of choices it seems but then doing Containers is not for anyone and as mentioned some companies will not train Newly qualified or advise them where to go to get trained.

The London Gateway will seriously increase the need for these drivers very soon,

Even the Government should intervene as we also the one of the biggest importers in the UK and we will only get bigger.

UKtramp:
They work for some but not for the many, bit like a reversed labour party policy.

You mean, like a Tory party policy? :laughing:

Rjan:

UKtramp:
They work for some but not for the many, bit like a reversed labour party policy.

You mean, like a Tory party policy? :laughing:

Yes exactly like a Tory policy :smiley:

Dr Damon:

biggriffin:

Hmmm not so sure about that. There are well paid jobs out there if you are good enough and know the best way up the ladder.
Also my 20 year old daughter drives artics coaches and much more and she is fairly well paid especially for her age.
Is there really a shortage?
Probably a shortage of good drivers would be more accurate.

You say especially for her age,age has absolutely nothing to do with it,she has achieved the licences she should get paid the same as an “old timer” the only thing she possibley lacks is the experience.

UKtramp:
To be fair it isn’t just a shortage of good drivers in this country, it is a shortage of good anyone. I made my money from pole dancing and lap dancing in the 90s. Even in this industry you can now see the chancers, not moving in a fluid way on the pole, lack of smiling towards the punters etc, etc. Same with drivers, there is no fluidity in their driving and a definite lack of smiling. There is money to be earned in all areas if you are good enough with the right attitude. I pride myself in the fact that I was voted the number 1 lap dancer during my period of dancing, I am now driving where I move with the same grace as on a pole.

In England not just drivers shortage but shortage near every one.How many young farmers,traktor drivers you can see???How many young plumbers you can see???When you cross smart motorway construction sites that near every diggers you can see attendant or engineers.Near every second this person Asian.This happened because in last 20 years people tech children who must work not hard,do just easy job,relax,drink,drink .

UKtramp:

It’s probbaly me not paying attention but didn’t UK Trump tell us all a couple of days ago that he wasn’t driving any more and was going to spend his days defrosting fridges ■■

Colinadams1:
Being based near a dock and more distribution centres in the UK per square mile there is lots of choices it seems but then doing Containers is not for anyone and as mentioned some companies will not train Newly qualified or advise them where to go to get trained.

The London Gateway will seriously increase the need for these drivers very soon,

Even the Government should intervene as we also the one of the biggest importers in the UK and we will only get bigger.

The government has intervened all too often over the last 60-70 years by allowing unlimited cheap labour into the country hence why so many driving jobs pay ■■■■ poor wages.

Andrejs:

UKtramp:

In England not just drivers shortage but shortage near every one.How many young farmers,traktor drivers you can see???How many young plumbers you can see???When you cross smart motorway construction sites that near every diggers you can see attendant or engineers.Near every second this person Asian.This happened because in last 20 years people tech children who must work not hard,do just easy job,relax,drink,drink .

Enter Dieseldog 3… 2…1…