Shortage of drivers

UKtramp:
To be fair it isn’t just a shortage of good drivers in this country, it is a shortage of good anyone. I made my money from pole dancing and lap dancing in the 90s. Even in this industry you can now see the chancers, not moving in a fluid way on the pole, lack of smiling towards the punters etc, etc. Same with drivers, there is no fluidity in their driving and a definite lack of smiling. There is money to be earned in all areas if you are good enough with the right attitude. I pride myself in the fact that I was voted the number 1 lap dancer during my period of dancing, I am now driving where I move with the same grace as on a pole.

was this at Whitby Goth weekend ?

Bluey Circles:

UKtramp:
To be fair it isn’t just a shortage of good drivers in this country, it is a shortage of good anyone. I made my money from pole dancing and lap dancing in the 90s. Even in this industry you can now see the chancers, not moving in a fluid way on the pole, lack of smiling towards the punters etc, etc. Same with drivers, there is no fluidity in their driving and a definite lack of smiling. There is money to be earned in all areas if you are good enough with the right attitude. I pride myself in the fact that I was voted the number 1 lap dancer during my period of dancing, I am now driving where I move with the same grace as on a pole.

No, Doncaster Palladium, ‘grab a granny’ night…

(See Rob or the Moaster for details)

Dipper_Dave:
Hi Colin and welcome to TNUK.

I too work on containers and this time of year work picks up a lot due to crimbo round the corner.

Although to be fair throughout the year there’s always enough work to get me hours in.

If Brexit ever gets sorted and better trading agreements are made with our friends in distant countries I would anticipate box jockey work to increase.

Although like others I believe the driver shortage is a myth perpetuated by those with a not so well hidden agenda to keep wages down.
To be honest theres been a driver shortage since I started in the 90’s.

Any shortage at all normally shows itself at this time of year.

Wouldn’t hold your breath for that.

Fully expect Brexit, if it ever actually happens, to be the final nail in the coffin of truck driving in this country.

ND on top form tonight lol.

DonutUK:
Fully expect Brexit, if it ever actually happens, to be the final nail in the coffin of truck driving in this country.

Removal of cabotage restrictions and continuing free movement of cheap labour would be so much better. :unamused:

Dog tired:

He’s only jealous because Rob and I having high standards rejected his hamfisted approaches to woo us! :wink:

maritime apparently pay £32000 per annum for day drivers,i sent an e mail to ask if that is exactly what it means,back home every night or day work then night out,they never explained properly in the advert so i’m assuming it meant tramping which I know is the norm in container haulage,but they were too ignorant to reply,so any maritime drivers on here can maybe answer,ta.

the maoster:

Dog tired:

He’s only jealous because Rob and I having high standards rejected his hamfisted approaches to woo us! :wink:

:grimacing:

truckman020:
maritime apparently pay £32000 per annum for day drivers,i sent an e mail to ask if that is exactly what it means,back home every night or day work then night out,they never explained properly in the advert so i’m assuming it meant tramping which I know is the norm in container haulage,but they were too ignorant to reply,so any maritime drivers on here can maybe answer,ta.

I applied for a job at Maritime a few months ago,never heard back from them either.

Driver shortage ? No
Shortage of drivers with 20 years experience,clean license,no desire to be home at any specific time and willing to work for minimum pay,or less ? Yes

Just seen today that UPS in London Gateway is looking for warehouse staff,if i remember correctly it is £11something an hour starting pay going up to just under £13 after becoming permanent.Who in their right mind would then go out driving for less than £15 an hour ?

Driver shortage at the moment ? No
But what in 5-10 years time when the younger generation don’t want to be away from their family all week to make a joke of a salary ?

Bluey Circles:

UKtramp:

I was at Goth weekend at Whitby, lap dancing in my dracula outfit. A very popular venue and one of my favourites. I am known more for my pole dancing at this venue but still turn a pretty penny over on the lap.

No shortage of drivers just the usual shortage of drivers who wont work for peanuts and attitude firms , they will never learn these firms they must have lost £1000s over the years but are too Thick too wonder why they cant get drivers.

Neverstress:

truckman020:

I applied for a job at Maritime a few months ago,never heard back from them either.

Driver shortage ? No
Shortage of drivers with 20 years experience,clean license,no desire to be home at any specific time and willing to work for minimum pay,or less ? Yes

Just seen today that UPS in London Gateway is looking for warehouse staff,if i remember correctly it is £11something an hour starting pay going up to just under £13 after becoming permanent.Who in their right mind would then go out driving for less than £15 an hour ?

Driver shortage at the moment ? No
But what in 5-10 years time when the younger generation don’t want to be away from their family all week to make a joke of a salary ?

Fair headline rate but £13 an hour in London won’t get you very far, plus are there minimum hours or is it zero hours like most others in warehousing. easy to make a headline figure look good but it doesn’t always show the full picture

UKtramp:

Bluey Circles:

UKtramp:

I was at Goth weekend at Whitby, lap dancing in my dracula outfit. A very popular venue and one of my favourites. I am known more for my pole dancing at this venue but still turn a pretty penny over on the lap.

they would certainly be lapping it up if it was your period

Bluey Circles:

UKtramp:

Bluey Circles:

UKtramp:

they would certainly be lapping it up if it was your period

:smiley:

The people who own the UK have decided what you will do.
The people in the UK have no backbone.
You work it out.

I am leaving the UK, as it is gone, knackered, no more, it really is all over…Sad as it may seem.
I have had many jobs/careers, but as I see it now, it is gone, the place is stifled by regulations in so many sectors, it is untenable.
I have my own business that has paid for my house here and a house in Portugal, that is where I am going…Portugal.
I am an economic migrant…The UK is just too expensive to live in, I could make the money to live here, but why should I? I have lined enough pockets in my life here so far, I shall not do it any longer, it is a mugs game.
I don`t care for a new fancy car every couple of years and a house is for living in, not to show off to friends…So I no longer fit in society here, I am going where you are judged on your wine and the food you can grow, the important things in life, the things that bring you health and joy…The UK truly is bolloxed big time.

UKtramp:

Better carry on moving your pole into Grace then. It doesn’t matter if I’m smiling or not, as no one is looking at my old mug.
There isn’t even a shortage of short people in this part of the world. :unamused:

I would also imagine that if I smiled as I walked into some transport office, I’d probably be dished out with a run like Tescos into Elephant & Castle for my troubles. :open_mouth:

Back before there was a shortage of drivers you were able to change your job every week if so inclined. If you were available immediately there was always a start available somewhere.

Now we’re short of drivers it can take three weeks of jumping through HR hoops before you even get near a truck.

You do the sums…

UKtramp:

Thanks uktramp, I just sprayed coffee everywhere. Now I need to clean up once I get parked.!! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my S30 using Tapatalk

Colinadams1:
Even the Government should intervene as we also the one of the biggest importers in the UK and we will only get bigger.

The government should do nothing of the sort. The so-called ‘driver shortage’ is a problem entirely of the haulage industry’s own making, and as commercial enterprises that (allegedly) are profit-making, it is for operators to sort out for themselves.

Those within the industry who believe that the taxpayer’s dime is the answer to a problem that they have created for themselves can shove their sense of entitlement straight up the crack of their collective arse.