Servo assisted Brakes

How many of you remember servo assisted brakes,as were common before the plating laws came in 1969.

Dave the Renegade:
How many of you remember servo assisted brakes,as were common before the plating laws came in 1969.

Guess what motor " The Renegade " drove in his formative years as a young cowboy ----why dang me I think it was a TK Bedford !! Was it a KE model I wonder ? Cheers Bewick.

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Guess what motor " The Renegade " drove in his formative years as a young cowboy ----why dang me I think it was a TK Bedford !! Was it a KE model I wonder ? Cheers Bewick.

Don’t know if it was a HE or not Dennis,all I do know is that at 14 ton gross fully loaded you didn’t take liberties,when coming down Brecon Beacons from the Storey Arms towards Libanus if there were sheep on the road. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Yes I remember the BMC and Bedford’s etc, also the BMC 30 cwt and 2 tonners without a servo or any assistance at all, no wonder the cab rear panel’s were always bulging out as the driver must have been pushing the seat through it trying to stop!!

Mind you Dave, in those days you drove according to how well the truck stopped, now they drive to how fast it will go! “Use the gearbox lad to get the speed down” is what was drummed into us.

Pete.

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Don’t know if it was a HE or not Dennis,all I do know is that at 14 ton gross fully loaded you didn’t take liberties,when coming down Brecon Beacons from the Storey Arms towards Libanus if there were sheep on the road. :smiling_imp: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Trust you to bring sheep into the thread !! It was nowt to do with missing them but more like stopping to **** them !! I remember now when me and and my mate crossed the beacons in the 8 wheeler & trailer he would remark somtimes that the sheep looked terrified and now we know why !! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Cheers Dave.

Trust you to bring sheep into the thread !! It was nowt to do with missing them but more like stopping to **** them !! I remember now when me and and my mate crossed the beacons in the 8 wheeler & trailer he would remark somtimes that the sheep looked terrified and now we know why !! Cheers Dennis.

Not guilty of hitting sheep or molesting them,left that to the steel trunkers and the coal hauliers on nights.It was a regular thing to count twenty + of those little hill sheep dead and squashed on the road between Libanus and Penderyn, every summers morning,run over on purpose in most cases as they slept on the road,by those cruel sods,even seen a mountain pony hit,not all on purpose,but a high percentage were.
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Cheers Dave.

Not guilty of hitting sheep or molesting them,left that to the steel trunkers and the coal hauliers on nights.It was a regular thing to count twenty + of those little hill sheep dead and squashed on the road between Libanus and Penderyn, every summers morning,run over on purpose in most cases as they slept on the road,by those cruel sods,even seen a mountain pony hit,not all on purpose,but a high percentage were.
Cheers Dave.

Yea Dave on a serious note it wasn’t funny ! Although we never hit anything with the 8 wheeler we had a few near do’s but when you were fully freighted with 27 ton of steel and only had 6 wheeler brakes on the waggon and one axle on the trailer you had no chance to slow never mind stop !! all you had was a puff of blue smoke and you kept rolling on down for that pint in the the Smiths Arms at Llansamlet Boyo see like !! Dennis.

Air over Hydraulic or was it Vacuum Brakes?

D Series Fords were my first memory although iirc the Merc 1418 could have had them too

Wheel Nut:

D Series Fords were my first memory although iirc the Merc 1418 could have had them too

Talking of Merc 1418 a bloke tried to interest me in one about '74 and I’m sat in it on the slope outside our garage and the hand brake jumped off Well I just got this heap of s**t stopped on the ratchet 2 ins. from the wall of the boozer opposite Phew !! It would have gone straight into the Lounge bar no danger !! Bewick.

Wheel Nut:

Talking of Merc 1418 a bloke tried to interest me in one about '74 and I’m sat in it on the slope outside our garage and the hand brake jumped off Well I just got this heap of s**t stopped on the ratchet 2 ins. from the wall of the boozer opposite Phew !! It would have gone straight into the Lounge bar no danger !! Bewick.

Bewick:

Wheel Nut:

Sorry about posting twice Dave but it does give the impression of a busy thread .Dennis.

Wheel Nut:

Hi Wheelnut,
The Bedford TK was Air- hydraulic.

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:

Hi Wheelnut,

I remember the gubbins on the side of the chassis just in front of the disc brake on the propshaft :stuck_out_tongue:

Wheel Nut:

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:

Hi Wheelnut,

I remember the gubbins on the side of the chassis just in front of the disc brake on the propshaft :stuck_out_tongue:

I broke a proopshaft on a Tk going fully loaded up a hill in the quarry,bang, :open_mouth: no gears or handbrake,with the broken prop stuck in the ground,had to sit there wih my foot on the brake,until a mechanic crawled underneath and tied it up,then roll it back onto flat ground. Those were the days,the swinging sixties. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:

Hi Wheelnut,

I broke a proopshaft on a Tk going fully loaded up a hill in the quarry,bang, :open_mouth: no gears or handbrake,with the broken prop stuck in the ground,had to sit there wih my foot on the brake,until a mechanic crawled underneath and tied it up,then roll it back onto flat ground. Those were the days,the swinging sixties. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

You sound like a right rough B*****d to me Dave !! In all my years I only had a prop shaft drop off and that was because the clowns at Primrose had failed to put a split pin behind the nut holding the shaft on !! Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:

Hi Wheelnut,

Cheers Dave.

You sound like a right rough B*****d to me Dave !! In all my years I only had a prop shaft drop off and that was because the clowns at Primrose had failed to put a split pin behind the nut holding the shaft on !! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
That TK was reversing up ramps four times a day with no two speed,when I got it you had to tie it in reverse to stop it coming out of gear when going up the ramps to tip in a spreader,only a four speed box,short tipper with greedy boards,several broke halfshafts with it,including the boss,the prop was weak.got loaded with lime,going up a rough track to where the diesel tank was,bang prop gone.Rough barsteward,maybe,rough job on lime and slag with an under powered and geared lorry,never broke any shafts on anything else. :smiling_imp: :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

There were some Scammell Highwaymen with vacuum brakes the warning gauge went up to 30 and first application of the brakes it was at 20 so we always used to say 3 pumps and then pray there was some later models which were servo assisted before full air brakes on model after but it did make you use your gearbox when grossing around 40 tons there was also a lever behind the gear stick which was an independent trailer brake but when they fitted full air brakes this was left off on these models.It was a thrill going over Brough loaded same as Woodhead and Shap there is no wonder the white knuckle rides never lit my fire lol. :laughing:

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:

Hi Wheelnut,

Cheers Dave.

Hi Dennis,
That TK was reversing up ramps four times a day with no two speed,when I got it you had to tie it in reverse to stop it coming out of gear when going up the ramps to tip in a spreader,only a four speed box,short tipper with greedy boards,several broke halfshafts with it,including the boss,the prop was weak.got loaded with lime,going up a rough track to where the diesel tank was,bang prop gone.Rough barsteward,maybe,rough job on lime and slag with an under powered and geared lorry,never broke any shafts on anything else. :smiling_imp: :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

OK I believe you !!! round our way on Adam Lythgoe they had drop side flats and a shovel apiece !! you’d be suprised how quick a spreader could be loaded with4/5 shovels in action !! No damage and 4/5 shiny shovel’s !! Where’s the bacon & eggs ? Cheers Dennis.

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Bewick:

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:

Dave the Renegade:

Wheel Nut:

Hi Wheelnut,

Cheers Dave.

Hi Dennis,
Cheers Dave.

OK I believe you !!! round our way on Adam Lythgoe they had drop side flats and a shovel apiece !! you’d be suprised how quick a spreader could be loaded with4/5 shovels in action !! No damage and 4/5 shiny shovel’s !! Where’s the bacon & eggs ? Cheers Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
Adam Lythgoe did a lot of spreading around here. Dennis Williams of Wigmore used to spread and haul lime for them,also quite a few others did.There were still quite a few using flats in my day,and shoveling the load off,some were using ramps made up out of sleepers and wheel hubs,saw a TK ram give and smash straight through the sleepers one day,broke the chassis in half,wrote the lorry off ( not me ) I was waiting to tip next. There were three quarries that did ground lime and burnt lime near here,now just one doing ground lime.
Cheers Dave.

Lime spreading has finished. Back to the thread. :arrow_right: :unamused: :laughing: