Serious Question

Q: Are footballers overpaid?

On paper the answer is pretty simple, yes they are for just booting a ball around a pitch for 90mins and training a few times per week.

However, imagine that twice a week 70,000 people turn up and pay thirty quid each just to watch you work. Imagine they buy shirts with your name on it and that BILLIONS of people around the world are glued to their TV sets every time you roll out of the yard. Would you be happy with a million a year if your boss is making millions of pounds per WEEK off your back? :open_mouth:

I’ll probably get slaughtered for posting this but I think it is an interesting topic because peoples knee-jerk reaction is to criticise the amount footballers get paid. However, I argue that it is better that they get rich rather than some fat bloke sitting in the stands? They are the entertainers after all. Nobody turns a hair when big movie stars get paid millions per film, up front regardless of their performance or if people go to see it.

Also, look at the footballers of old - they entertained people for years and the majority ended their careers with very little. Many are now virtual cripples and have to sell off their medals and trophies to fund their old age. At least today’s players will be able to live comfortably when they pack up.

What do people think? Am I being daft or have I got a point?
I might require a tin hat for this one! :open_mouth:

cant fault them for it, like everything in life make hay while the sun shines.
incidently hammer by your very name I see you are forever blowing bubbles,
my team are from glasgow and play in green and white hoops, and of course ive got the obligatory badge in my truck window, so to add to your posting im curious to know who everybody else follows or maybe they are into some other sport if any.

Don’t care what they get paid, it’s money well spent. People only criticise the amount they get through jealousy, if they had the opportunity to do what they do they wouldn’t turn the money down.

Got to agree with Coffee.
Take David Beckham, people slate him left right and centre. They are blatently jealous of his money, his wife, his lifestyle and the fact he can put a football through a polo mint at 30 yards if he wanted. Fair play to them all and if we dont like them and thier money - dont go and watch it and dont buy a shirt.

On top of that the money is only at the top 1% of the game. If there is anyone at fault it is more likely to be the FA and all the other so called footballing officials for thrashing out big deals with SKY and SETANTA .

Up the VILLA and ■■■■ on the BLUES.

if the cash was there you’d take it so why shouldnt they get the wonga.

we are premiership new boys and we got to come up with some serious amount of reddies if we want to compete in the league , but as of yet were still ■■■■■■■ about with backroom staff and haven’t lined up any footballers yet.

its gonna be tough this year

come on you rams :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s a bit of a shame that it has become unaffordable to attend matches regularly unless you devote a large part of your income to it. My Dad told me that when he used to watch first division football before the war (the equivalent to today’s premiership), it was quite normal for the players to travel home on the same bus or tram as the fans.

I suppose you can’t say footballers are “paid too much” though, it’s s free market economy.

weewulliewinkie:
my team are from glasgow and play in green and white hoops, and of course ive got the obligatory badge in my truck window, so to add to your posting im curious to know who everybody else follows or maybe they are into some other sport if any.

I have no choice but follow the Irons! It is in my blood, there has been a season ticket at Upton Park somewhere in my family for years. Living so far away I tend to go away more than home matches these days.

As Harry Monk says it is a shame it is so expensive. I suppose it is supply and demand. However, I think the atmosphere suffers as a result. I know it is a generalisation but the richer the supporter the less noise they seem to make. :frowning:

I’ve always wanted to go to Parkhead though. Seeing it on telly, the atmosphere leaps out at you. It must be some place with 60,000 manic Glaswegians roaring them on! :sunglasses:

question for you hammer :exclamation:

do you think you should of been deducted points over the tevez malarkie :question:

jon

hammer:

weewulliewinkie:

I have no choice but follow the Irons! It is in my blood, there has been a season ticket at Upton Park somewhere in my family for years. Living so far away I tend to go away more than home matches these days.

As Harry Monk says it is a shame it is so expensive. I suppose it is supply and demand. However, I think the atmosphere suffers as a result. I know it is a generalisation but the richer the supporter the less noise they seem to make. :frowning:

I’ve always wanted to go to Parkhead though. Seeing it on telly, the atmosphere leaps out at you. It must be some place with 60,000 manic Glaswegians roaring them on! :sunglasses:

like you say its in the blood, and we both have had the pleasure of watching frank macavennie and paolo di canio( absolute nutcase :angry: :angry: :angry: )perform.

weewulliewinkie:

hammer:

weewulliewinkie:

like you say its in the blood, and we both have had the pleasure of watching frank macavennie and paolo di canio( absolute nutcase :angry: :angry: :angry: )perform.

Great shout on those two. :sunglasses: They have to be the biggest characters I can personally remember in my time watching The Irons (I’m 26). I remember McAvennie’s last game. Everyone knew he was leaving after the match. He came on at half time and scored a hat trick! What a geezer! :smiley:

As for PDC - a one man show if ever I saw one. A pleasure to watch on all occasions and some of the most spectacular goals I have ever seen in a West Ham shirt. :sunglasses:

Weewulliewinkie - I have two questions for you.

1. How good is Nakamura?
  2. Would you abandon scottish football and come and play in the English Prem if you had the chance?

hammer:

1. How good is Nakamura?

Hope you don’t mind me throwing my tuppence worth in on that question.

Whenever I’ve seen him, admittedly only on TV in the SPL and European games I’ve always thought him a bit like Beckham. Moments of brilliance, a devastating free kick taker and when he is on his game he is very good but he does sometimes go MIA during games for extended periods.

jonboy:
question for you hammer :exclamation:

do you think you should of been deducted points over the tevez malarkie :question:

jon

I personally think that we got off a bit lightly. I’m sad enough to have read the full arbitration transcript :blush: and there are a few things in there that if I was a Sheff Utd fan would annoy me.

There is a line in the verdit that says something to the gist of “if we had to make this decision at another time in the season, we might have decided on a different verdict”.

However, the fact remains that the other 19 Premier League clubs agreed in advance that whatever the tribunal decided they would abide by it’s decision. The result has come back against them and now Sheffield United don’t like it. :open_mouth:

Personally, I think the other clubs that have sided with Sheff U are scared of our sudden financial muscle. Wigan’s chairman is a disgrace, he has been fined for price fixing of England shirts and is now accused of lying to the stock exchange. Al Fayed is not my favourite person either and I think they should have all just shut up and got on with it. Both these clubs escaped, just like West Ham - Fulham HUGELY lucky. They beat Liverpool’s reserve team on the penultimate match. If they had lost, THEY would have gone down, not Sheff U. Both are acting like Mother Theresa.

Also, (if you haven’t fallen asleep yet!), Sheffield United broke the same rule as West Ham so they have nothing to shout about.

In conclusion (yes, I’ve nearly finished!). West Ham took advantage of good luck and good form and had a storming finish to their season. The other clubs became so obsessed with us that they forgot to win their own matches and paid the price.

I’m looking forward to a good year next year, hopefully with Tevez in the team.

hammer:

weewulliewinkie:

hammer:

weewulliewinkie:

Great shout on those two. :sunglasses: They have to be the biggest characters I can personally remember in my time watching The Irons (I’m 26). I remember McAvennie’s last game. Everyone knew he was leaving after the match. He came on at half time and scored a hat trick! What a geezer! :smiley:

As for PDC - a one man show if ever I saw one. A pleasure to watch on all occasions and some of the most spectacular goals I have ever seen in a West Ham shirt. :sunglasses:

Weewulliewinkie - I have two questions for you.

1. How good is Nakamura?
  2. Would you abandon scottish football and come and play in the English Prem if you had the chance?

coffeeholic is right on the button, nakamura he is a grafter 100% free kicks can be out of this world but every now and again he plays like hes not interested
but as man u discovered they had 90% of the game and one brilliant free kick settled it. I would expect he will play in the premier ship at some point.

my honest answer would be yes and no because there is more to the spl
than celtic and ran( hold on, stop, I cant even force myself to utter that other lots
name :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: :imp: ) we have many great games and many
worthless games, but at the same time I think we could hold up against many of the top premiership sides.

by the way my favourite english side is man city as they were the first english team i ever saw when they played us pre seaon way back yonder years.

The other thing to consider for Celtic and Rangers moving to the EPL is money. There is no getting away from the fact that a lot of their fans are of the ‘Glory Hunting’ type with buses travelling from all over Scotland to Darkhead and Castle Greyskull. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: because they win a lot of trophies. In leaner times in the past their fan base has dropped off, particularly Rangers. They would have much less chance of wining trophies in the EPL so their gates may suffer as a result, and result in less revenue. To my mind even though they aren’t always getting the level of competition they need they are better off as the big fish in a small pond rather than one of the pack in the EPL.

Who are your team then Coffee?

I see 4-0 to the red v greens under your signature so I assuming Hearts beating Hibs? :confused:
Or Hearts beating Celtic? :confused:
Or Aberdeen beating Celtic? :confused:

steady on now hammer, you will give me nightmares at the thought of the jammy tarts or aberdeen putting 4 past us :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

weewulliewinkie:
steady on now hammer, you will give me nightmares at the thought of the jammy tarts or aberdeen putting 4 past us :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Manchester United 7, West Ham 1 (after going 1-0 up in 3mins!) :open_mouth:
Blackburn 7, West Ham 1 :open_mouth:
Everton 5, West Ham 0 (back to back away games with above!) :open_mouth:
West Ham 0, Leeds 4 (three players sent off) :open_mouth:
Everton 6, West Ham 0 (the year we finished 5th!) :open_mouth:
West Ham 3, Wimbledon 4 (after being 3-1 up at h/time) :open_mouth:
West Ham 3, West Brom 4 (as above, 8/9 years later!) :open_mouth: :Reading 6, West Ham 0 :open_mouth:
Charlton 4, West Ham 0 :open_mouth:

You have nothing to be ashamed of, these are all off the top of me noggin! :unamused: There’s more I can’t think of! :cry:
West Ham are KINGS of getting TONKED! :smiley:

hammer:
Who are your team then Coffee?

I see 4-0 to the red v greens under your signature so I assuming Hearts beating Hibs? :confused:

That’s the one, cup semi final last year, one of three occasions we stuck 4 past the wee team that season. Supported them since I was about 5, my local team see. I’m not into glory hunting, which is just as well given the infrequency in which they win anything. :wink:

hammer:
Or Hearts beating Celtic? :confused:

Not on this occasion but it does happen, 3 times in the last two seasons.

hammer:

Very rarely do the scumbag sheep molesters beat Celtic. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

hammer:

Very rarely do the scumbag sheep molesters beat Celtic. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

LOL :smiley:

what side of the fence are you on with your chairman coffee, good or bad :question: