Scania 8x4 brake problem

Hi folks,

On my 2003 Scania 8x4 340 I keep getting the same old problem with my brakes. On the front axles the slack adjusters keep letting themselves off after a day or two leaving me with (at best) spongy brakes. I have had all the adjusters changed and the problem goes away for 6-8 months and then I notice the brakes gradually getting worse again. I always carry a 12mm with me so I can nip them up each morning before I set off so it’s never a problem, but surely I shouldn’t have to! Have any of you guys encountered the same problems?
We’ve queried this with our parts supplier and they reckon we are the only ones to complain, so I’m wondering if it is at all possible for the slack adjusters to be fitted incorrectly?

Did they fit new auto slack adjusters? I have found the genuine Haldex[SAB] slack adjusters good for about 5 years, but the cheap chinese copies were out in 2 years and starting to wind themseves off. Pursy

gwmckay:
Hi folks,

On my 2003 Scania 8x4 340 I keep getting the same old problem with my brakes. On the front axles the slack adjusters keep letting themselves off after a day or two leaving me with (at best) spongy brakes. I have had all the adjusters changed and the problem goes away for 6-8 months and then I notice the brakes gradually getting worse again. I always carry a 12mm with me so I can nip them up each morning before I set off so it’s never a problem, but surely I shouldn’t have to! Have any of you guys encountered the same problems?
We’ve queried this with our parts supplier and they reckon we are the only ones to complain, so I’m wondering if it is at all possible for the slack adjusters to be fitted incorrectly?

Yes it is possible to fit them wrong. If you dont put the anchor plate in the right place it can work againt its self and snap the fingers lets call them in the adjuster. Seen it done so many times when I was a fitter. When you adjust them up and then back them off, dose the slack click when backing off the adjuster nut?

Peter

Peter Wells:

gwmckay:
Hi folks,

Yes it is possible to fit them wrong. If you dont put the anchor plate in the right place it can work againt its self and snap the fingers lets call them in the adjuster. Seen it done so many times when I was a fitter. When you adjust them up and then back them off, dose the slack click when backing off the adjuster nut?

Peter

The one front wheel which seems to work as it should clicks a lot louder than the others, the others clicks feel a bit ‘worn’ and not as sharp if thats make sense! I must have a look with the mechanic next time we change one just to see what way theyre being fitted, in case as you say the anchor plate isnt being fitted properly.

pursy:
Did they fit new auto slack adjusters? I have found the genuine Haldex[SAB] slack adjusters good for about 5 years, but the cheap chinese copies were out in 2 years and starting to wind themseves off. Pursy

To be honest Im not sure if they are cheap copies or not, my mechanic normally gets them from a local motor factors, cant see them being genuine though!!