ABS faults on r 420

Hi i keep getting a fault on the abs system on a scania 6x2 r420 on a 2004 reg plate,we take to scania and they tell me the mid lift has caused the fault by spinning slightly whislt driving with the lift up.They then reset system and off we go until next time.
My question is can this fault be removed without a costly trip to scania?

have you read through your hand book as normaly
they wil have a selection of hints for problems that occur
If not try sending a e mail direct to Scania sweden
as any Good firm will wish to help their customers;;

I’d also recommend hand book first and then email like brit pete suggested if your Scania dealer doesn’t find real solution. To me that doesn’t sound like normal behaviour as you can lift axle up while moving and it definitely spins when you do that. Axle can also hit ground on bump when up which also gives it a spin and I’m pretty sure Scania designer are aware of these being part of normal driving.

Might be a silly question but did scania also have a look at the wear on the disks and the brake pads ?.

Had one doing similar and when the brakes were stripped down the pads where down to the metal !!

That set the ABS light off as well :open_mouth: :smiley:

All you have to do is push brake pedle down to the floor slowly (count to 10) and lift up the same it will clear the fault for a little while.
One of my 54 plates does the same it 's the sencer playing up nothing to worry about.

My 6x2 Tag axle plays up, but only when it is down and usually after hard braking. It got to be almost undriveable and Scania could never seem to fix it, eventually after replacing the sensors and the rings that the sensor reads from it made it 95% better.

Bottom line is that the dealer either wasn’t that bothered or couldn’t manage to fix it, eventually a Lithuanian fitter they had there made the most progress. Another dealer might be able to fix it.

Thank god I thought I was the only one with this problem but mine effects the retarder as well :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Sounds like faulty wheel sensor and / or wiring to wheel sensor on lift axle. As for retarder not working thats what the system is designed to do. Exhaust brake stops working too.
Its no good the Scania dealer clearing the fault only, as it will just reappear down the road.

is a simple job and takes half hour max. Ive had many Scanias with this fault

I had an ABS fault on my R420 6X2. Took it into Scania , plugged the computer in ,fault was on the n/s front . Gap between the sensor and ring was too big :exclamation: fitter taps the sensor in and wipes the fault codes of the system problem solved :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
Going down the road next day pulled away from a roundabout fairly sharpish ( empty trailer ) ABS light comes on yet again :cry: :cry: . Into Scania again computer says same fault :exclamation: :exclamation: .Both these visits took no longer than 15 mins max ,but cost me £56 each time :cry: :cry: :cry: .
The next time the fault appeared I just used to reset it on the ignition switch and just hope I didn’t get a pull from VOSA. :wink: Then while doing my 6 wkly inspection I didn’t like the sound of the n/s wheel bearing. Pulled the hub off and found that the ABS ring had corroded on the wheel bearing assembly and this had warped it slightly .Pressed the old bearing out fitted new bearing and ABS ring refitted the hub,tapped the ABS sensor in ,and I have not had a problem with the ABS since :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

thanks for all the help …managed to stay out of scania with these tips thanks again…

JOBE:
All you have to do is push brake pedle down to the floor slowly (count to 10) and lift up the same it will clear the fault for a little while.
One of my 54 plates does the same it 's the sencer playing up nothing to worry about.

It works ta :smiley:

sixby2 try the wirling loom from the abs modulater valve :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: