Satnav/greetings

Hello,

Having just become a member I thought i’d ask if anybody knows if the NAVMAN ICN320 only works on 12V.

I’ve just bought a dropper on ebay.

I have a feeling this may have been unnecessary. :confused:

I work as a regional relief driver for a large builders merchants in the midlands, covering about 20 of it’s branches.

I’ve come to the conclusion that SATNAV is handy, but in my line of work, maps (preferably Philips OS ones) are still needed. If I leave a yard with a full load containing 5 or 6 small deliveries, some prior knowledge is needed in order to ascertain the correct order of drops. Otherwise, i’d be up and down going from one end of a city/town to the other and back again 3 or 4 times on one load.

Just thought i’d share that!

I’ve been looking for a truck driving related forum for a long, long time.

First of all, welcome to TruckNet. :smiley: :smiley:

My Navman, an iCN 650, works on both 12 and 24 volts and there was another TruckNet member who emailed Navman and asked about 24 volts. They replied that yes it would work but it is best not to have it plugged in when starting the engine in case of a surge. I usually forget, and start with it plugged in and haven’t had a problem.

I have a 610,and used it today on a job I was doing,driving a 2546 Actros Mega Space,and had no problem starting the vehicle up when it was plugged in.

I also used it yesterday on a DAF CF 430,and again left it plugged in,and had no problem.

Ken.

I’ve got the iCN320 and it does specify 12v only in my paperwork/blurb :wink: I use a dropper with no problems, don’t have to worry about starting etc. Just make sure the dropper is wired to a permanent live, not ign’ live :wink:

skorpio:
I’ve got the iCN320 and it does specify 12v only in my paperwork/blurb :wink:

It says that for all the models but they still work in 24 volts. Most mobile phone chargers say 12 volts as well but they work in 24 as well.

Coffeeholic:

skorpio:

It says that for all the models but they still work in 24 volts. Most mobile phone chargers say 12 volts as well but they work in 24 as well.

Never really checked to tha degree, the company had a spare dropper, so I fitted that, only took 5 minutes to wire it in line with the ciggy lighter socket, couple of male terminals on the input and female on the output then just connect the unit input to the lighter plug and the unit output to the lighter itself, probably took as long to type this as it took to do the job.

Mind you I remember buggering a 'phone up in my last job by {as far as I’m aware } connecting the charger to the 24v socket, could well be wrong though :wink: just prefer to play safe with my own property that’s all.

Coffeeholic:

skorpio:

Not sure about this. Seems like too much of a gamble.

A colleague of mine knackered his phone using 24v for a 12.

I tried the voltage reducer today in the cab but it evidently doesn’t work. It supposedly plugs into the ■■■ lighter at one end, and at the other is a female socket to accommodate the satnav plug. No joy.

I presume a standard dropper is permanently housed somewhere? No good for my line of work - drive too many different wagons.

Yeah, it’s a simple job but for the drivers who don’t always drive the same truck it’s handy to know they work in 24 volts, and Navman confirmed it.

The Tom Tom units work on 24 volts as well, on their web site they list the power leads as being 12/24 volt.