Navman F20

I just bought a Navman F20 to replace my old but one very reliable garmin i3. Problem that i’ve found is the car adaptor says +12V and not 12/24V. I’m worried if on agency i get an old dog truck with just a 24V socket. Just wondering if Navmans work in 24V sockets.

Also, my old Garmin 12/24 adaptor seems to fit into my new Navman. Havent tried plugging into car. Is it worth a try or could it blow?

looking at the specs from navman id say no it doesnt.

id get a pluging 12/24 dropper like the one in the link will be enough to power the navman

http://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_detail.aspx?prod=4A+DC-DC+PLUG-IN+VOLTAGE+CONVERTER+&id=223

my navman ICN520 works ok in the truck socket, if worried you can buy a voltage dropper for a few quid these days

Thanks for the replies. Ive decided to get a voltage dropper to be on the safe side.

Ive been using a Nav-Cam on 24 volt all week and had no problems dont know if it helps you though.

I got this email from Navman tech department

Dear Jason,

Yes you can charge your device with the 12V car charger in a 24V as long as you make sure you turn the engine ON then plug the charger in and unplug the charger before you turn the engine OFF.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us, we’ll be more than happy to help.

Kind regards,
Kerri Redmond

Technical Support Team

Problem is that i do 20 drops a day and will forget so will get one of them droppers just to be on safe size

Yes you can charge your device with the 12V car charger in a 24V as long as you make sure you turn the engine ON then plug the charger in and unplug the charger before you turn the engine OFF.

I don’t understand the logic behind that at all. Surely it either works on 24V or it doesn’t, why does it matter that the engine is running?

Paul

repton:

I don’t understand the logic behind that at all. Surely it either works on 24V or it doesn’t, why does it matter that the engine is running?

Paul

I suspect it is all about power surging and voltage fluctuations when you start up. The volts will drop as the starter spins then surge up when started and the alternator spins up eventually settling back to the original voltage At start up the supply could drop from 24 volts down to say 18volts (depending on the vehicle, its age and condition) and then jump up to 27 volts before settling back to 25 ish. So the electronic item has to deal with a power surge of up to 7 or 8 volts. The 12 volt device may run ok on a well regulated 24volt supply but the additional surging it may not cope with.

Some manufacturers regulate the in cab power supplies to address this problem. So consult your dealer/workshop or buy a multi meter and check… :wink:

i wouldnt put it in a 24v the 530 and the f20 are totally different devices even though they are from the same manufacturer

I always used to run my Navman off the 24 volt socket and kept it plugged in when starting the engine, no problems what so ever. I do the same with the lead for my PDA which is also only marked as 12 volts and again never a problem, and that is in a variety of trucks. As far as I know all the Navman car power leads work on both 12 and 24 volts, even though it only says 12 volts on the lead (it only says 12 volts on mine). Remember the lead is a dropper it self and doesn’t pass the input voltage through to the device, it normally drops it to something like 5 volts. Most of this type of lead for phones, SatNav, PDA’s etc are dual input voltage and mini droppers. Personally i think you are wasting your money buying a dropper, and it is just another thing to carry.