SatNav blamed for Bridge Strike!

Local report quoted lorry driver blamed his SatNav for routing him under a low bridge…!!!

The Bridge in question was Whitehouse Bridge, Swindon, Wilts…
Ht… Clearance 10 FEET !!! …

I’ve not been down that way for a bit, but i do know that there is plenty of warnings about this bridge and also believe they now have the flashing lights if your vehicle break the overheight beam…!!!

I guess he didn’t read the user manaul or his truckers atlas…!!!
The only time my SatNav lets me down is because the truckers atlas does too!!!
IE…only bridges on A Class roads are listed, so when you are off the beaten track the Mk 1 Eyeball and common sense comes into use…!!!

There is a bridge just a few miles from where i live with a 10’ 3" clearance.

It’s not on a bus route, yet several Yorkshire Traction drivers have insisted on using it as a shortcut back to the depot when running empty (In double decker buses!)

I even duck my head when going under it in the car! :open_mouth:

Driver blamed his SatNav! In reality it is his stupidity. Even if he was routed down the road he shouldn’t have taken it due to signs, and even if he did, he just should have stopped.

Still I suppose “Driver blames his own stupidity and lack of awareness” doesn’t make such a good story.

(Watch while I hit a bridge sometime in the next few weeks! LOL)

That bridge at Wilton, Salisbury (A36) has now got flashing lights. Marked up at 4.2 metres, the lights flash at under 4.2 metres , and a 4.2 metre trailer flys under with loads of room. When they cry wolf like this, people are going to ignore the warnings and thats when accidents happen.

Kingsway Bridge (aka Hullavington) 2 miles north of M4 Jct 17 on A429 has been reduced to 14ft…from 14ft 3"…

The latest AA Truckers atlas still shows it at the old height yet the road surface has not been changed…!!!

How long before another strike on this one too ■■?

following satnav once through some godforsaken midlands suburb at 4am looking for an engineers house to drop parts to.
followed the nav down a fairly narrow country lane for about half a mile to be greeted by a sign warning of an impending 6’0 bridge.

yes 6 foot nothing.

no warning sign on turning into lane, just one long, slow, dangerous reverse all the way back up it.
6’0 i could not even WALK under that without stooping.

killsville:
There is a bridge just a few miles from where i live with a 10’ 3" clearance.

It’s not on a bus route, yet several Yorkshire Traction drivers have insisted on using it as a shortcut back to the depot when running empty (In double decker buses!)

I even duck my head when going under it in the car! :open_mouth:

that the kilnhurst bridge?
if so fearns transport like to give that a good wallop every now and then :laughing: :laughing:

mezzzz1211:
[that the kilnhurst bridge?

That’s the one Mez! You know it well!

I heard from a mechanic at the Barnsley depot that one of the buses has been under it twice. First time was when it was nearly new so they managed to put a new top deck on it. Second time was near the end of it’s working life and it was subsequently scrapped.

Who is this ‘Numpty’, I’ve been using satnav for the last two weeks, first week a Navman and this week a TomTom1. First of all Satnav is not geared up for LGV use although it does have its uses, yes you can down load bridge and speed cameras at a price for the TomTom, if you do intend to buy one go for the TomTom1 or even one of the more expensive ones if you have the brass.

yes you can down load bridge and speed cameras at a price for the TomTom

Fairly sure you can download them for free, if you look for them :wink:

Tramper:
That bridge at Wilton, Salisbury (A36) has now got flashing lights. Marked up at 4.2 metres, the lights flash at under 4.2 metres , and a 4.2 metre trailer flys under with loads of room.

i wonder why this one is listest as one of the most frequently struck bridges? :laughing:
the thing flashes at me when im pulling an urban at 11’6 :unamused:
i had to do a U turn yesterday at esher trying to get to the industrial estate. i knew the road coming out has a low bridge but i didnt know the road leading to it was low too. one is a 10’ and the one i hoped was high enough was 11’ :imp:
fortunately, i half expected it and turned round before i got into a pickle :sunglasses:

scanny77:

Tramper:
That bridge at Wilton, Salisbury (A36) has now got flashing lights. Marked up at 4.2 metres, the lights flash at under 4.2 metres , and a 4.2 metre trailer flys under with loads of room.

i wonder why this one is listest as one of the most frequently struck bridges? :laughing:

and there’s an easy way round :exclamation: :exclamation:

( which I found out last year when doing a bit of straw :wink: )

I wasnt sure about the bridge for normal use - I usually run at 13’8 and can get under all the 13’9 marked bridges between Taunton and Minehead - which I think are nearer 14’ :exclamation:

so as 13’9 is 4.19m according to my conversion table - do you reckon I’ll get under there :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chocolate Poodle bridge at West Lavington has been reduced to 13’ 6" with a diversion signed from the Salisbury side but not from the other way!!

Someone reversing away from it yesterday.

Denis F:

scanny77:

Tramper:

and there’s an easy way round :exclamation: :exclamation:

( which I found out last year when doing a bit of straw :wink: )

I wasnt sure about the bridge for normal use - I usually run at 13’8 and can get under all the 13’9 marked bridges between Taunton and Minehead - which I think are nearer 14’ :exclamation:

so as 13’9 is 4.19m according to my conversion table - do you reckon I’ll get under there :question: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

i hope so since our tri axles are 13’8 and i can get under :wink:

Grumpy:
Chocolate Poodle bridge at West Lavington has been reduced to 13’ 6" with a diversion signed from the Salisbury side but not from the other way!!

Someone reversing away from it yesterday.

chocolate poodle bridge? your having a laugh right? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

scanny77:
i hope so since our tri axles are 13’8 and i can get under :wink:

Thanks Richie

:blush: :blush: :blush:

according to one of my truckers atlases (with the gold magnum) it is listed as number 16 and is signed as 14’ which isnt really a hell of a lot of leeway with a 13’8 :open_mouth:

scanny77:
according to one of my truckers atlases (with the gold magnum) it is listed as number 16 and is signed as 14’ which isnt really a hell of a lot of leeway with a 13’8 :open_mouth:

my misses says 4 inches is quite a lot :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
:wink:
jon